VM text not changing language

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Cairon Carson
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: LineageOS 14.1

VM text not changing language

Post by Cairon Carson »

I guess my problem is related to the one discussed here. If not, I can create a separate topic for it.

Microsoft Windows 10.0.19043.1889 is running VirtualBox 6.1.36 r 152435 (Qt5.6.2) running Google Android 7.1.2 / LineageOS 14.1. I want to print in Russian and in English.
Language preferences
Language preferences
2022-08-17_00-18-02.png (7.65 KiB) Viewed 959 times
I select two languages for the keyboard
Change keyboard. Show virtual keyboard
Change keyboard. Show virtual keyboard
2022-08-17_00-18-42.png (24.24 KiB) Viewed 959 times
activate the text input field, change the language to Russian with the cursor, but the text is still typed in English:
qwerty instead of йцукен
qwerty instead of йцукен
2022-08-17_00-19-32.png (15.42 KiB) Viewed 959 times
The result does not depend on what layout is selected for the VirtualBox window.
Last edited by scottgus1 on 17. Aug 2022, 17:02, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: changed title to reflect problem
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: DVORAK Keyboard Layout

Post by mpack »

I'm confused: the topic title mentions a Dvorak keyboard, but the post does not.

In any case, I'm not sure that VirtualBox includes a simulation of a Dvorak keyboard, and I'm also not sure that it matters: you always have to select an appropriate keyboard layout inside the guest OS.
Cairon Carson
Guest OSses: LineageOS 14.1

Post by Cairon Carson »

mpack wrote:I'm confused: the topic title mentions a Dvorak keyboard, but the post does not.
The post was supposed to be posted in [posting links blocked] topic, but for some reason ended up in a new topic. Some kind of bug in the first post on the forum or I was inattentive. I can delete this topic by creating a duplicate post in the old "Dvorak keyboard layout" topic, or by renaming the topic to something like "The text being typed in the guest OS does not match the selected guest OS keyboard layout".
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

The split off was from me. I moved Cairon's post to a new topic but forgot to change the title appropriately, sorry for the confusion.

Here's an idea, Carion: get apps in host and VM to read the scan codes of the pressed keys. Check to see if the number on the host is the same number on the VM, and if so then it's the VM OS that needs further tweaking.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: VM text not changing language

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, Keyboard Event Viewer is a useful OS-agnostic tool for analyzing keyboard issues.