Cannot Copy File But Can Drag File

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
cheng1

Cannot Copy File But Can Drag File

Post by cheng1 »

I installed Virtualbox 6.1.36 on Mac OS 12.5, I installed the extension for VirtualBox and GuestAddition for every virtual OS. I set permission for VirtualBox on Mac system preference. I also set "share clipboard" to "bidirectional", but I cannot copy file between host and guest system. I tested Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows XP and Ubuntu. However, I can drag file between host and guest system. I am confused is anything that I miss for sharing clipboard.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Cannot Copy File But Can Drag File

Post by mpack »

This is by design. The clipboard is used for plain text and graphics clippings, not for files.

Drag and drop is a different feature entirely.
CharlesLiao

Post by CharlesLiao »

mpack wrote:This is by design. The clipboard is used for plain text and graphics clippings, not for files.

Drag and drop is a different feature entirely.
Can tell us why don't design the function(Func) of copying and pasting files from the clipboard via host and guest? VMware Workstation supports Func and people came from VMware Workstation would feel confused. Also, I think Func is more efficient and reliable than dragging. Dragging requires adjusting the windows of the host and guest, which is also easy to cause interaction problems.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

These forums are for fellow users, we didn't write the software.