Kernel panic

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Wilfred

Kernel panic

Post by Wilfred »

Hi,

I'm trying to run Virtualbox 6.1.36 on a windows 11 host with a Linux guest on my Lenovo Thinkpad 15G2 and it fails with a kernel panic. I've tried to disable Hyper-V on W11 (I also see the turtle on VB) but failed (tried all the regedit etc but msinfo32 still says it's active). I also installed windows 10 on the same latop and experience the same problems. Logfile attached.

I also have an HP Elitebook laptop with windows11 and an active hyper-V which has no issues running VirtualBox with Linux as guest. This leads me to believe there's an issue with the Lenovo hardware/bios and/or support for it from Virtualbox. Can someone please point me in the right direction in order to solve this?

TIA!

Wilfred.
Attachments
VBox_lenovoW10.zip
(26.45 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Kernel panic

Post by scottgus1 »

Hyper-V is still enabled, yes. Try giving the VM 2 processors. Otherwise, please see HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).
Wilfred

Post by Wilfred »

Thanks, I managed to disable Hyper-V on the win10 test machine and now Linux installs in virtualbox. After disabling secure boot, disabling Hyper-V feature and changing the bootmanager the trick for me was to disable deviceguard/systemguard via regedit: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard\Scenarios\SystemGuard (set Enabled from 1 to 0)

I'm now going to see if I can get it to run under Windows 11...
Wilfred

Post by Wilfred »

For a default Windows 11 installation (on my Lenovo T15G2) this is what needs to be done to start a linux vm using virtualbox 6.1.36:
  • Hyper-V feature needs to be off (this is the default)
  • Virtualization based security in W11 needs to be off (easiest way to disable this is to go to core isolation and set memory integrity to off)
  • registry entry: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard\Scenarios\SystemGuard\Enabled should be 0
This will get rid of the turtle and kernel panic trying to boot a Linux install image.

Fastest way to check if Hyper-V is off is to use the systeminfo command, it should give Hyper-V requirements and not "A hypervisor has been detected...."
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I think it's better to just follow the list in the link which Scott referred you to.
Wilfred

Post by Wilfred »

Yes, my list is a summary of Scott's list without all the commands to actually do it and it includes the necessary regedit from the other post. But step 6, cannot think of a reason to do that, it surely wasn't necessary on my laptops (which don't have an easy removable battery).

Remains the question, why don't I have to disable Hyper-V on my HP laptop using the same OS and vbox....

Wilfred.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

Wilfred,

I believe the answer is probably because of the following quote from the VirtualBox Guide.
9.32 Using Hyper-V with Oracle VM VirtualBox

Oracle VM VirtualBox can be used on a Windows host where Hyper-V is running. This is an experimental feature.
No configuration is required. Oracle VM VirtualBox detects Hyper-V automatically and uses Hyper-V as the virtualization engine for the host system. The CPU icon in the VM window status bar indicates that Hyper-V is being used.

Note: When using this feature, some host systems might experience significant Oracle VM VirtualBox performance degradation.
i.e. the feature/capability is still experimental and is known not yet to provide a universal solution. It might prove useful to the developers if the key specifications of the PCs where the feature does not work were reported.
Wilfred

Post by Wilfred »

Thanks. What do you suggest I do? I guess this issue already has the attention of the developers.

Wilfred.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Wilfred wrote:What do you suggest I do?
Are you still having problems?