VMX root mode

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
cuedai

VMX root mode

Post by cuedai »

Hi I'll just start out by saying i did try to see if other threads had help but im trying to run win xp on my pc (with ubuntu 8.10) and keep getting this error if soeone could help i'd really appreacieacte

VirtualBox can't operate in VMX root mode. Please disable the KVM kernel extension, recompile your kernel and reboot (VERR_VMX_IN_VMX_ROOT_MODE).

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
Console
Interface:
IConsole {e3c6d4a1-a935-47ca-b16d-f9e9c496e53e}

Thanks to all who can help
towo

Post by towo »

sudo modprobe -r kvm-intel
sudo modprobe -r kvm-amd

Depends on your CPU.
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

KVM is an optional virtualisation layer that is in effect an alternative to Virtualbox. Alternative = you can't run both.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
jbpinson
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP Professional 32-bit

Re: VMX root mode

Post by jbpinson »

Thanks to "towo" for helping resolve that problem. I now have another problem, though.
When I go to start my virtual machine VirtualBox reads:

GRUB Loading stage1.5.
GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 22
_

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ben
towo

Post by towo »

22 : No such partition
This error is returned if a partition is requested in the device part of a device- or full file name which isn't on the selected disk.
This is not a vbox-problem, it's a wrong configured grub in your guest-os.
jbpinson
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP Professional 32-bit

Post by jbpinson »

hmmm. I see. What do you think I should I do? :(

Basically, I used Acronis True Image... software to clone my Windows system. Then, I used the Acronis software again to create a .vmdk file.
Now, I'm getting this error I mentioned before.

I guess I should contact Acronis Customer support?
I will let you guys know if I learn anything.
goodrick
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Fedora 13, OpenSUSE 11.3, OpenSolaris 2009.06

Post by goodrick »

towo - You rock. I had the same issue. I was curious as to whether or not VirtualBox and VMware could coexist on my Ubuntu 10.04 box (obviously not running VMs at the same time). The problem cropped up after installing VMware Player 3.1. I uninstalled VMware Player and ran the command and I am back in VirtualBox heaven. Now I just have to subdue the curiosity to reinstall VMware, run the command again and see if they will coexist (again, not running VMs at the same time). I merely want the ability to play with both to compare/contrast. Must... leave... good.... enough.... alone.... :x
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

jbpinson wrote:hmmm. I see. What do you think I should I do? :(

Basically, I used Acronis True Image... software to clone my Windows system. Then, I used the Acronis software again to create a .vmdk file.
Now, I'm getting this error I mentioned before.

I guess I should contact Acronis Customer support?
I will let you guys know if I learn anything.
Install Grub again with the recovery mode of the install disc for the distribution you're trying to run.
goodrick wrote:towo - You rock. I had the same issue. I was curious as to whether or not VirtualBox and VMware could coexist on my Ubuntu 10.04 box (obviously not running VMs at the same time). The problem cropped up after installing VMware Player 3.1. I uninstalled VMware Player and ran the command and I am back in VirtualBox heaven. Now I just have to subdue the curiosity to reinstall VMware, run the command again and see if they will coexist (again, not running VMs at the same time). I merely want the ability to play with both to compare/contrast. Must... leave... good.... enough.... alone.... :x
If you install VMware first, then VB, there should be no problem having both on the system at once but run separately. Both are a type-2 hypervisor and should only use VMX when they need to. Neither lock it when they aren't running. At least, VB doesn't, but who knows what dirty hacks VMWare uses. They already make you hack around some kernel things in order to run properly, or run at all.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.