Update 6.1.34 crashing Windows 10 Host upon attempted start of Windows 7 Client

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Oracle VM User

Update 6.1.34 crashing Windows 10 Host upon attempted start of Windows 7 Client

Post by Oracle VM User »

Hi Everyone!

Thank you for being here to provide assistance.

Here is the Info and minimum requirements as requested: [Thank you again for informative instructions, since I don't do this every day]

Host & Guest make and version including 32 or 64 bit, and the amount of memory available to both.

Host: Windows 10 Version 21H2 x64 8 GB RAM

Guest: Windows 7 x32 I can't get in, to copy this off, sorry, I assume some part of 8GB RAM, at least 2GB accessed-- whatever you recommended when I set it up is my 4+ year old memory says to me....

VM log file (as an attachment) See your VirtualBox users guide for how to locate this if using CLI or right click the guest in the VirtualBox main manager and select show log. Then choose save.
*Note: Windows as host users with version newer than 4.3.12 need to post the VBoxStartup.log or VBoxHardening.log

I did this wrong: I typed in Search in VirtualBox users Guide VM log file and received dozens of wrong choices. I put quote marks around it "VM log file" and received zero returns.

Please inform me how I can do this so I can complete the first step and correctly send this problem to you!

===============================

Meanwhile.... I'll provide a short summary of the problem:

This happens to me every few updates... I'm so sorry to bother you but I need Windows 7 almost every day.

1. I held off installing Update 6.1.34 for long time.... Finally did it this Memorial Day Weekend as it would be free and clear in case anything happens.

2. As expected..... The perfectly working Oracle Virtual Box crashes upon start up.

3. Pressing the regular start [not any other of your three start up choices, i.e. headless start; I know what they are for but afraid to play around with them] displays for a few seconds the mini-window: "Starting Virtual Machine"
[No printscreen or photo available]

4. Then Virtual Box crashes with the Blue Screen with the ":(" large unhappy face on it, too fast to take even camera photo of it...
[So again no printscreen or photo available]

5. Sometimes, the Host computer self-restarts just as good as new.

6. Sometimes, the computer just fades to BSOD (All blank black screen, no cursor anywhere) where I have to force a "hard restart" using the main Host computer power on/off button.

I apologize for not having more information. I would usually write much more here, but decided to just send this off and keep my usually long posts shorter to get responses of what you require for helping me.

7. I don't give up that easily. I read through various other people's postings until I found someone else who was unable to find their VBox.log and sent that through search function of entire Host Computer:

I found it! Found two: Here it is: Hope its the correct one. I gave you both regular and hardening ones for the most current logs for May 30, 2022.

Thank you for your patience with me.

Oracle VM User

P.S. [Off topic?] I noticed in a single posting that someone is updating and failing to update, to version 6.1.35r15063 Yes, I know they wrote in German, so maybe its just an update available in Germany? My update checker says that I'm fully updated to 6.1.34 version. Thank you again for reading that!
Attachments
VBoxHardening as of 5-30-22.zip
I hope I did zipping correctly, first time in years and years
(22.74 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
VBox Log as of 5-30-22.txt
Too short a file, I gave it anyway, after reading that all Windows 10 should use the "hardening" version of log
(31.98 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Update 6.1.34 crashing Windows 10 Host upon attempted start of Windows 7 Client

Post by scottgus1 »

Oracle VM User wrote:Then Virtual Box crashes with the Blue Screen with the ":(" large unhappy face on it, too fast to take even camera photo of it...
[So again no printscreen or photo available]

5. Sometimes, the Host computer self-restarts just as good as new.

6. Sometimes, the computer just fades to BSOD (All blank black screen, no cursor anywhere) where I have to force a "hard restart" using the main Host computer power on/off button.
Virtualbox doesn't crash with a :( blue screen. That would be the host OS that is BSODing.

It appears that the Virtualbox upgrade did not go well. Please do this:

Uninstall Virtualbox and reboot.
Go to "C:\Windows\System32\drivers", look for any files called 'Vbox*.sys' (there could be up to 5) and delete them.
Reboot again.
If you have any 3rd-party security or anti-malware software, disable the living daylights out of it for a moment.
Reinstall Virtualbox using right-click-Run-As-Administrator.

Re the off-topic: the 6.1.35 version is one of the test builds (even final numbers are regular releases, odd final numbers are test builds). Your problem is not from the particular version you installed. If you decide to try the test builds, please save the test build installer until you update again later.
Oracle VM User

Re: Update 6.1.34 crashing Windows 10 Host upon attempted start of Windows 7 Client

Post by Oracle VM User »

Hi scottgus1

Just a quick reply to let you know I appreciate the reply---so quickly too!

I will follow your suggestions and find out how to "hang" "execute" my Webroot Best Buy Anti-virus plus Malwarebytes I also subscribe and use. I know these can be causes of problems, too infrequently to have memorized the steps, I'll find out!

Thanks so very much and have a great Memorial Day holiday to you!

Oracle VM User
Oracle VM User

Post by Oracle VM User »

Hi again scottgus1!

Thank you so much for fixing my problem today!

[Delay in reply was me using Windows 7 ASAP before something else occurs!]

Thank you for such clear instructions! Should be pinned somewhere very clear solution (at least to me).

Question? I didn't re-do or see choice to re-install the newer extensions for 6.1.34---I just assumed when it worked that it must be using the correct ones, am I correct?

Question: I'm almost sure it's not something you can do, but maybe you know who to direct this inquiry to]. After removing VirtualBox, I no longer had the easy to click web page access to Oracle... So I first went to "Oracle.com" They had like 100% advertisement for their cloud based programming and resources for using and fixing it... Nothing in search box would give me "VirtualBox downloads" "version 6.1.34" etc results. So fortunately (!) I recalled I always SAVE my downloads for at least a few versions, and sure enough I found the old/newest downloads filed away there and clicked on and used it to refresh my Virtual Box and install wizard, etc. Maybe they (Oracle) needs a tiny link at bottom of page with all their systems listed, for Oracle Virtual Box people to click to get to a downloads page. Thanks!

Again, appreciate the quick and easy fix today! I'm back in business! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Oracle VM User
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Oracle VM User wrote:Maybe they (Oracle) needs a tiny link at bottom of page with all their systems listed, for Oracle Virtual Box people to click to get to a downloads page.
Like the one at the bottom of the forum pages? :lol: See the "Get Virtualbox" link. Also at www.virtualbox.org.

Virtualbox doesn't alter the Extension Pack that's installed. But the EP version should always match the installed Virtualbox version. You have to remember to tweak this as needed. Check what's installed in the main Virtualbox window, File menu, Preferences, Extensions tab.
Oracle VM User wrote:I'm back in business!
Glad you're up and running!
Oracle VM User

Post by Oracle VM User »

Hi again scottgus1!

Happy you're the great site moderator that keeps things running smoothly both here and for all our own VirtualBoxes!

Thanks for pointing out the "Get Virtual Box" I'm stupid! I assumed it was like an "ad" and not a hyper link.. . But at least I know not to go to Oracle anymore and use the http://www.virtualbox.org link you provided me,

Of course you're correct about the extensions! I just had to find out where in several 100K files on computer they were hiding... says : Its Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack 6.1.34r150636 (and that is how I find out the exact version number)

Thank you for providing all the ways to find Virtual Box when I lose it!

Best wishes to you for great Holiday and days ahead too!

Oracle VM User