issues installing solaris 11.4 GA

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
m3kafan

issues installing solaris 11.4 GA

Post by m3kafan »

Hi people:
I'm facing a problem as far I went only with the solaris 11.4 GA.
My virtualbox host is a windows 10 Pro. Every two months, I reinstall my solaris 11.4 to keep clean from a lot of tests.
I can't remember which version of virtualbox was using before my latest solaris 11.4. But a few weeks; upgrade virtualbox and then came the date to reinstall my solaris 11.4
Everything went fine until solaris 11 text install appeared and keep stall 15 min, then 30 min. So throw away everything and make a new vms re-download the solaris 11.4 iso file, re-check the md5 and sha-1 fingerprint and repeat the installation process.
Sadly, same results.

As side note, I install on a external SSD drive (my boot drive is also a SSD drive); my oracle linux vms, redhat vms, ubuntu vms, are running and installing fine.
Just Solaris 11.4 stalls without panics, warnings or something useful.
Have tried other settings without luck.

Any help is really appreciate.
AndyCot

Re: issues installing solaris 11.4 GA

Post by AndyCot »

Do you have hyper-v enabled? If yes then try the latest test build.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: issues installing solaris 11.4 GA

Post by scottgus1 »

To check if Hyper-V is enabled, start the guest from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the guest from within the guest OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the guest with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the guest in the main Virtualbox window's guest list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log. Search the log for these words:

Attempting fall back to NEM

If these words are in your guest's vbox.log, Hyper-V is enabled. See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active)

If these words are not present, zip the vbox.log, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.