Dual screen not working in seamless mode

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
descott12

Dual screen not working in seamless mode

Post by descott12 »

Hello,
Newb here but after quite a bit of searching I have not found an answer to this problem.
Host - Windows 10 Pro with VB 6.1.34 with HA installed.
Guests are both my XP and Win7 (32 bit) VMs. VBoxVGA or VBoxSVGA, 64MB RAM with 3D acceleration turned OFF.

The seamless windows are fine on the screen that the VM is on when I go into seamless mode but they stop at the edge between the two windows. I can use both screens in non-seamless mode without any trouble.

Most of the stuff in this blog talk about 3D acceleration but I have that turned off. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Dual screen not working in seamless mode

Post by scottgus1 »

descott12 wrote:The seamless windows are fine on the screen that the VM is on when I go into seamless mode but they stop at the edge between the two windows.
I'm afraid I cannot follow what you mean here. For example, a seamless VM doesn't have a window, it takes up the whole host screen minus the host taskbar.

Can you please use Upload Attachment to show a screenshot of what you see?
descott12

Post by descott12 »

Oops. Sorry for not being clear. Each window in the seamless VM is viewable over the host desktop but I can't drag the windows across the boundary between screens from one to another.

In the attachment, you can see the window in the center on the main screen. When I try to drag it to the right-hand screen, it can't cross over.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (79.4 KiB) Viewed 2464 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the screenshot. It appears you're running XP in the VM. Please right-click XP's desktop, select Properties, then the Settings tab. This should show the layout of the monitors in XP's video space. Please post a screenshot of that Settings window.
descott12

Post by descott12 »

Here it is. I tried messing around with the resolution and color depth and it didn't have any effect other than I got warnings about poor performance if I didn't choose 32 bit color.
Basically the same deal with my Win7 VM
Attachments
Untitled2.jpg
Untitled2.jpg (62.13 KiB) Viewed 2422 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks. You only have one monitor in the VM, and the screen size seems consistent with the single screen you're able to move the window in (the large host monitor minus the host OS taskbar).

I have not tried dual monitors with seamless, but you'd need two monitors in the VM at least, to be able to use the second host monitor too. And you may still have to move the window so it partially appears in the second screen, then let go and pick it up again in the second screen to continue the move.
descott12

Post by descott12 »

Awesome! I increased the monitors to 2 in the VBox settings, then was able to configure it in XP. Works great. Seems so simple and logical now...!!
I really appreciate you taking the time to help.
Cheers.