Input/Output Error installing Ubuntu 8.10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Wonder95

Input/Output Error installing Ubuntu 8.10

Post by Wonder95 »

I've been trying for a while now to install Ubuntu 8.10 in VB in Wondoze XP SP3 with no luck. I'm using a .iso file mounted as a CD drive. It gets to the install process, and at 22% it stops and gives me this error:

[Errno 5] Install/Output error

and talks about possible problems with the hard disk. I've tried it on two separate physical hard disks (where I have no problems installing other programs), and I get the same error. Other posts I've been able to find about this indicate a problem with memory. I have 1GB of memory, and it's in one stick, so I can't take part of it out, and I don't have anything to replace it with at the moment. Has anyone else seen this error or have any suggestions?

Thanks
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

This error is raised by the installer when it can't read the CD. Given that you are installing an ISO I suspect that this is corrupt. I've had this myself when installing from an ISO, and the problem was that the download terminated early. Check the MD5 sum for the ISO. All distributions publish these for their media. You will need to download a freeware tool to generate this on Windows since there is no std utility in the OS.

I always bittorrent my media now. It's usually slower than straight http (due to ISP throttling) but its reliable.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

TerryE wrote:I always bittorrent my media now. It's usually slower than straight http (due to ISP throttling) but its reliable.
In addition to this, you can also download it through HTTP for the speed, then load it with a torrent to do the checksum and download any missing parts.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

Sasquatch wrote:In addition to this, you can also download it through HTTP for the speed, then load it with a torrent to do the checksum and download any missing parts.
Bugger, you learn something every day :lol: thanks for the tip, Sasquatch
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
Wonder95

BitTorrent download worked

Post by Wonder95 »

That worked. I downloaded a copy of the alternate CD through BitTorrent, and I was able to install it.

Thanks.