VB 2.1 Install Error - Conflict with Earlier Version?

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Juan Largo

VB 2.1 Install Error - Conflict with Earlier Version?

Post by Juan Largo »

Hello,

I am currently running VB 2.0.6 and am attempting to upgrade to VB 2.1. I downloaded .deb package for my architecture (32-bit Dapper Drake 6.06). When I attempt to install the .deb package, I get an error that virtualbox-2.1 conflicts with virtualbox. In the past I had no trouble installing VB on top of older versions. Must I uninstall VB 2.0.6 before I can install VB 2.1? I would rather not, because I'll have to reconfigure everything again.

T.I.A.
Juan
stephanecharette
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu-64bit, Windows

Post by stephanecharette »

I also found that strange. For some reason, the way the .deb package is done it doesn't know to remove 2.0.6 before installing 2.1, but it knows there is a conflict and the two packages cannot both be installed.

What I did: bring up Symantic, type CTRL+F, search for "virtualbox".

Then I right-mouse-clicked on my VirtualBox 2.0.6, and selected "completely remove". (Don't worry, your VMs will remain.)

Once that is done, installed VB 2.1. Rebooted. Everything worked fine.

Remember to re-install your guest additions! :)

Stéphane Charette
bikodog
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: XP

Thanks much

Post by bikodog »

Thanks for the help. Worked great for me!
Juan Largo

Post by Juan Largo »

@stephanecharette -

Yes, thank you! It seems that VM 2.1 is incompatible with older versions and this requires a complete removal of the older version first. Re-installing Guest Additions required two reboots of the Guest OS, but everything is running well.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

No, that is not the reason. The reason is that one Debian repository is able to hold exactly one version of one package. The 2.0.x packages were named virtualbox-2.0, the 2.1.x packages will be named virtualbox-2.1. That way, one is able to return to an older version. If you have some hint for a more elegant way to solve this (keep in mind that we want exactly one repository), then feel free to tell me.
fixedwheel
Volunteer

Post by fixedwheel »

Frank Mehnert wrote:That way, one is able to return to an older version. If you have some hint for a more elegant way
its good like it is now: i get error fixing minor release update - but i dont get automatic updated with new x.x.0 "beta" major releases
myxiplx

Post by myxiplx »

Now I know what's going on this does sound like a sensible way to do things.

However, it might be nice to have this documented somewhere, rather than have people waste 20 minutes hunting google and the forums for an answer as to why the 40MB file they've now downloaded three times won't install.

The instructions on how to do major version upgrades should really be documented on the downloads page. It might be nice to have VirtualBox tell us when major version upgrades are available too. I was prompted for 2.0.6, but not for 2.1.0.
Jamie Jackson

Had to uninstall 2.0.6 before 2.1 install. Where's launcher?

Post by Jamie Jackson »

I did a complete uninstall of 2.0.6 before installing 2.1. However, after installing 2.1, I no longer have a launcher in Application > System Tools.

Fluke, or bug? Anybody else lose their launcher?

Ubuntu 8.10, FWIW.

Thanks,
Jamie
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Still have my launcher in my menu. Xubuntu 8.10.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
stephanecharette
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu-64bit, Windows

Re: Had to uninstall 2.0.6 before 2.1 install. Where's launc

Post by stephanecharette »

Jamie Jackson wrote:I did a complete uninstall of 2.0.6 before installing 2.1. However, after installing 2.1, I no longer have a launcher in Application > System Tools.

Fluke, or bug? Anybody else lose their launcher?
I've noticed this before with earlier versions of VirtualBox as well as 2.1 running on my Ubuntu host. The menu option will re-appear after you reboot. You might only need to logoff/logon (didn't try) but in my case I happened to reboot and it was there again.

Stéphane