Booting a Physical Windows 10 Disk Using VirtualBox on Linux

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
eloydark

Re: Booting a Physical Windows 10 Disk Using VirtualBox on Linux

Post by eloydark »

Hello all,
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but my issue is related to the topic of the thread and I am wondering if other people are today having the same issue.

My setup is pretty similar to everyone else's in this thread, I am running ubuntu 20.04 as my Host OS, I have Win10 on a separate partition of the same drive and boot is handled through EFI. Latest stable Virtualbox: 6.1.32.
I am able to run my partitioned Windows 10 as a VM when in linux without problems and I am also able to boot to the same Windows 10 when I want.

The problem I am having appears if I choose to install the guest additions when I am running Windows virtualized, then the system fails to boot windows 10 physically, goes straight to "Repair/Recovery". The reason it fails (according to the logs) is that the C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\VBoxGuest.sys file is corrupt - which of course it isn't because the system works fine when virtualized!

Has anyone encountered this? Is there a workaround that is better than installing/removing Guest Additions whenever I want to physically boot into Windows?