Error Message

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Loach505

Error Message

Post by Loach505 »

I created a Ubuntu 20.04 Linux VM, no gui, on a Windows 10 machine. Exported it as an Open Virtualization Format 2.0 ova file. Imported it onto an Ubuntu Linux machine, no gui. To run it as a headless VM.

But, when I try to launch it from the CLI with this command

vboxmanage startvm "Samba Box" --type headless

I receive this error.

Waiting for VM "Samba Box" to power on...
VBoxManage: error: Nonexistent host networking interface, name 'Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller' (VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR)
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component ConsoleWrap, interface IConsole

How might I fix this? The VM has a Bridged NIC Interface btw.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Error Message

Post by scottgus1 »

Loach505 wrote:The VM has a Bridged NIC Interface
Loach505 wrote:Nonexistent host networking interface, name 'Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller'
Loach505 wrote:created a Ubuntu 20.04 Linux VM, no gui, on a Windows 10 machine. Exported it .... Imported it onto an Ubuntu Linux machine
The Linux host apparently does not have a 'Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller' network card to Bridge to. You'll have to change the VM's Bridged setting to point to the network card that the Linux host has.

Since it's a headless host you'll have to fix this in the command line. See 'vboxmanage list bridgedifs' to get a list of usable network cards on the Linux host, and read up on Bridged options in 'vboxmanage modifyvm' in the manual.