[solved] "Failed to attach the USB device to the VM"...

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Grogster

[solved] "Failed to attach the USB device to the VM"...

Post by Grogster »

Hello :)

Linux Mint 20, VB 6.1.30, Extensions pack installed on the XP SP3 VM. (no errors)

sudo usermod -aG vboxusers {my username here} run at terminal. Reboot the Mint machine.

VB sees the USB flash drive, and I can select it in the USB settings.
Reboot the XP VM, and I get the message in the title.
On another laptop, the same version of VB and the extensions, with the same XP SP3 iso VM, and the USB flash-drive is picked up just fine.
I'm trying to do this again on an Intel NUC machine running Mint 20.
Virtualization enabled in the NUC BIOS.

I have setup a shared folder in the XP VM to a folder on Mint and that is working, so I can move files across that way no problems, I am just curious why the USB flash drive won't work on this NUC.
"Failed to attach the USB device {flash-drive name here} to the VM XP SP3" - does not tell me much about WHY that failed, only that it did.
Is there a log file I can perhaps look at to help find out why this isn't working?
As I say - not a biggie as I have a shared folder that works fine, but the USB flash-drive ability would be nice to have, and it worked on the laptop setup but not on the NUC for some reason...

Thanks for any help.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: "Failed to attach the USB device to the VM"...

Post by scottgus1 »

Carefully go through USB basics and troubleshooting. If you finish all the steps 1-7 and cannot get your USB device into the guest OS, carefully post the outputs of the commands in step 8 as text, not screenshots. Zip and post the logs step 8 call for, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Grogster

Post by Grogster »

Hello. :)

I have figured out what was going on here.
The flash-drive I was trying to attach to the XP VM was a 64GB flash-drive formatted as exFAT.
Windoze XP SP3 32-bit does not know how to talk to that format, so it was rejected.

If I plug a lower-capacity flash drive formatted as FAT32 into the Mint box, and reboot the XP VM, the VM filter picks up the drive and assigns it a letter in the XP VM fine.

Fixed.

How do I tag this thread as SOLVED?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Glad you found the problem! I'll mark this one solved.