Virtualbox Windows XP VM with BMW diagnostic Software FTDI Interface connect

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
halorx

Virtualbox Windows XP VM with BMW diagnostic Software FTDI Interface connect

Post by halorx »

https://ibb.co/Pctv68Y Win10 Taskmanager

https://ibb.co/2ndjY7m WinXP Taskmanager

It apparently displays two interfaces with same name because i tried it at different usb port too but no luck:

Code: Select all

Das USB-Gerät HX D-CAN [0600] konnte nicht an die virtuelle Maschine [BMW] INPA WinKFP NCSExpert gebunden werden.

USB device 'HX D-CAN' with UUID {186fcf1b-4bdc-4d62-93e8-c7fabf5b117c} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.

Fehlercode:E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Komponente:HostUSBDevice
Interface:IHostUSBDevice {173b4b44-d268-4334-a00d-b6521c9a740a}
Callee:IConsole {8ab7c520-2442-4b66-8d74-4ff1e195d2b6}

Das USB-Gerät HX D-CAN [0600] konnte nicht an die virtuelle Maschine [BMW] INPA WinKFP NCSExpert gebunden werden.

USB device 'HX D-CAN' with UUID {ce450a94-1b15-4710-a59c-b35a39856efc} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.

Fehlercode:E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Komponente:HostUSBDevice
Interface:IHostUSBDevice {173b4b44-d268-4334-a00d-b6521c9a740a}
Callee:IConsole {8ab7c520-2442-4b66-8d74-4ff1e195d2b6}
Also it displays Com Port 3 at every usb port. It does not recognize the FTDI Interface in virtual machine.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Virtualbox Windows XP VM with BMW diagnostic Software FTDI Interface connect

Post by scottgus1 »

Forum gurus won't go to third-party sites for logs and pictures that can be posted using the forum's Upload Attachment tab on the first day first post.

If the screenshot shows an error message, post the text of the error message instead. If the screenshot shows important information, not just a black box or a seized guest OS, crop and resize the picture to get under the forum's 128kB size limit, then post the picture file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

And please be more descriptive with the problem you're facing: It's hard to discover what the problem is.
halorx

Re: Virtualbox Windows XP VM with BMW diagnostic Software FTDI Interface connect

Post by halorx »

The usb device is attachable one time and it gives a sound but then it prints out the busy device warning if i try to attach it second time. The device does not show up in the VM as i told before.
halorx

Post by halorx »

xp-vm.PNG
xp-vm.PNG (81.34 KiB) Viewed 4728 times
devicemanager.png
devicemanager.png (40.1 KiB) Viewed 4728 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Since this is apparently a USB to serial adapter, you have two options:
  • add it as a USB device. Go through USB basics and troubleshooting. If steps 1 through 7 cannot get your device working, please provide the troubleshooting command outputs in step 8, as text in

tags. Also zip and post the requested vbox.log, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. 

[*]add it as a serial device, see [url=https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26860]How to: Add a Serial Port in Windows XP and 7 Guest[/url] for general ideas[/list]
AndyCot

Post by AndyCot »

In have used an FTDI USB to RS422 4 port device on a Virtual XP in the past by installing the drivers on Windows 10 and then mapping the serial port into the guest. This way I could use the device in Windows 10 or XP without having to install any extra drivers on XP.
halorx

Post by halorx »

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.1500]
(c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

C:\Users\remre>cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox"

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>
Attachments
xpvboxlog.zip
(19.3 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Although the posted code and logs don't address anything said above (such as, are you going to try this with USB or Serial) it does show that you're running a Windows 10 19H2 host with ancient-as-all-get-out 4.3.12 Virtualbox.

While there is a possibility that 4.3.12 can still work with a 10 host, something a tad more youthful might be better, like at least 6.0.something, if not the latest. (My production 10 host has 6.0.14 on it.) Be prepared to be required to upgrade for further help.
halorx

Post by halorx »

AndyCot wrote:In have used an FTDI USB to RS422 4 port device on a Virtual XP in the past by installing the drivers on Windows 10 and then mapping the serial port into the guest. This way I could use the device in Windows 10 or XP without having to install any extra drivers on XP.
How do i achive this? Are there any advantages over "normal" install? Because i want to use the native bmw car diagnostic software in the vm, will your way cause more interferences?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

halorx wrote:How do i achive this?
scottgus1 wrote:add it as a serial device, see How to: Add a Serial Port in Windows XP and 7 Guest for general ideas
halorx

Post by halorx »

scottgus1 wrote:Although the posted code and logs don't address anything said above (such as, are you going to try this with USB or Serial) it does show that you're running a Windows 10 19H2 host with ancient-as-all-get-out 4.3.12 Virtualbox.

While there is a possibility that 4.3.12 can still work with a 10 host, something a tad more youthful might be better, like at least 6.0.something, if not the latest. (My production 10 host has 6.0.14 on it.) Be prepared to be required to upgrade for further help.
I, of course try it as usb as usual.

i also installed Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.12-93733a sucessfully before

also it shows Virtual Box guest additions 5.1.6r110634 running in the guest.
Last edited by halorx on 6. Dec 2021, 19:00, edited 2 times in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

halorx wrote:I, of course try it as usb as usual.
scottgus1 wrote:Go through USB basics and troubleshooting.
Please read carefully the posts presented to you before posting again. Both your questions today were answered above.
halorx

Post by halorx »

The virtualbox toolbar in the guest vm on the bottom shows the FTDI interface as busy, and then if i click on it it gives the sound like if a usb device gets connected and then it shows that it is catched but it does not show up in the device manager from the windows xp guest vm. But it vanishes in the device manager of the host machine, so it seems to me that it was successfully catched? But then if i go over the on-the-fly usb icon from virtualbox it shows that no usb devices are connected... :/

I want to run it with "native usb" instead of serial. Sry but i have just done as it was recommended in the Usb basics and troubleshooting post at point 8...

I also tried reinstalling it as admin but no luck...