Cannot start VirtualBox on macOS Monterey

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
MartinBean

Cannot start VirtualBox on macOS Monterey

Post by MartinBean »

I’m trying to install and launch Homestead on a new macOS Monterey (12.0.1) installation. When I do, I receive the following error:

Code: Select all

There was an error while executing `VBoxManage`, a CLI used by Vagrant
for controlling VirtualBox. The command and stderr is shown below.

Command: ["startvm", "30ce6114-8b0c-49f6-a6d8-e26f24a823e7", "--type", "headless"]

Stderr: VBoxManage: error: The virtual machine 'homestead' has terminated unexpectedly during startup because of signal 10
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component MachineWrap, interface IMachine
Vagrant version 2.2.18
VirtualBox version 6.1.26 (I did have 6.1.28, but downgraded based on Googling this issue)
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: Cannot start VirtualBox on macOS Monterey

Post by granada29 »

Vagrant is not a supported configuration in this forum - i.e. it's an unknown quantity to most of us. You may be able to get help in the Vagrant support channels.

That said - if Vagrant is launching your VM headless, then that may be the reason for your crash. I have submitted a bug ticket https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/20636 because of a problem I have found with VBoxHeadless on Monterey 12.0.1

You could try running your VM directly from VirtualBox (i.e. take Vagrant out of the mix) and see if you get any joy.
ssh22

Post by ssh22 »

granada29 wrote:Vagrant is not a supported configuration in this forum - i.e. it's an unknown quantity to most of us. You may be able to get help in the Vagrant support channels.

That said - if Vagrant is launching your VM headless, then that may be the reason for your crash. I have submitted a bug ticket https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/20636 because of a problem I have found with VBoxHeadless on Monterey 12.0.1

You could try running your VM directly from VirtualBox (i.e. take Vagrant out of the mix) and see if you get any joy.
I have absolutely the same issue when updated to the latest macOS Monteray. Vagrant is launching VM headless , yes. If I switch the provider to something else like Parallels then everything works. But not with Virtualbox.
Actually, I've just wrote comment on your bug ticket.
tomektomczuk

Post by tomektomczuk »

I have same issue after upgrade to macOS Monterey.

Command: ["startvm", "ccae549f-744e-40e2-8a06-0f6a1f7aeced", "--type", "headless"]

Stderr: VBoxManage: error: The virtual machine 'marcink.test' has terminated unexpectedly during startup because of signal 10
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component MachineWrap, interface IMachine

Do you have any idea how to solve it?
ssh22

Post by ssh22 »

tomektomczuk wrote:I have same issue after upgrade to macOS Monterey.

Command: ["startvm", "ccae549f-744e-40e2-8a06-0f6a1f7aeced", "--type", "headless"]

Stderr: VBoxManage: error: The virtual machine 'marcink.test' has terminated unexpectedly during startup because of signal 10

Do you have any idea how to solve it?
Nothing yet. There is also a issue opened at Vagrant here: https://github.com/hashicorp/vagrant/issues/12557
zenon1

Post by zenon1 »

MartinBean wrote:I’m trying to install and launch Homestead on a new macOS Monterey (12.0.1) installation. When I do, I receive the following error:

Command: ["startvm", "30ce6114-8b0c-49f6-a6d8-e26f24a823e7", "--type", "headless"]

Stderr: VBoxManage: error: The virtual machine 'homestead' has terminated unexpectedly during startup because of signal 10
Vagrant version 2.2.18
VirtualBox version 6.1.26 (I did have 6.1.28, but downgraded based on Googling this issue)

Hello,

I confirm VirtualBox 6.1.28 does not work on macOS Monterey. Monterey let run VB once and then reject. No way to force Monterey to accept VirtualBox. Monterey locks every thing.

regards
cransom

Post by cransom »

Similar to above, I updated to Monterey and am using 6.1.28. I typically launch machines via vagrant, however, I created a machine in virtualbox and it cannot run headless.

If I select Start -> Headless Start or Detachable Start, I get errors like the following:
```

VBoxManage: error: The virtual machine 'dk5-devenv' has terminated unexpectedly during startup because of signal 10
A normal start, the vm pops up normally.
zenon1

Post by zenon1 »

cransom wrote:Similar to above, I updated to Monterey and am using 6.1.28. I typically launch machines via vagrant, however, I created a machine in virtualbox and it cannot run headless.

If I select Start -> Headless Start or Detachable Start, I get errors like the following:
```

VBoxManage: error: The virtual machine 'dk5-devenv' has terminated unexpectedly during startup because of signal 10
A normal start, the vm pops up normally.
Hi,

It pops up normally but can't load the VM. You have to reinstall each time after your computer boots. Apple makes it ennoying. If no issue I downgrade to Big Sur because I need a Linux at least in a Virtual Machine
bortunac

Post by bortunac »

a real mess from Monterey regarding VirtualBox
- each time switching 6.28 to 6.18 VBox system is asking to allow & reboot & try reinstall -- no signature database !?
- next reboot disables VBox and force you to reinstall to open VM-s and headless does not work
- to acces VM from host you first have to reset vboxnet0 network interface by editing it's IP address

UGLY - UGLY- UGLY

I'm about to rollback to Big Sur or even to my older Win10/Dell-XPS
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

In section 1.4 of the VirtualBox user manual you will find a list of supported hosts. If VirtualBox is important to you then I suggest that you postpone changing to Monterey until you see it included in that list.
ssh22

Post by ssh22 »

mpack wrote:In section 1.4 of the VirtualBox user manual you will find a list of supported hosts. If VirtualBox is important to you then I suggest that you postpone changing to Monterey until you see it included in that list.
So let's stop talking about it, and shut down the forum then?
Btw, some interesting info about the issue can be found on vagrant's github page: https://github.com/hashicorp/vagrant/issues/12557
zenon1

Post by zenon1 »

mpack wrote:In section 1.4 of the VirtualBox user manual you will find a list of supported hosts. If VirtualBox is important to you then I suggest that you postpone changing to Monterey until you see it included in that list.
Hi,

When I upgrade to Monterey from Big Sur Intel at the end of the process i got a popup window message from Apple telling that VirtualBox won't run on that update. They could have told before. So I think that Apple decided that VirtualBox is not a trustable application and locked it. I don't think they would revert and allow VirtuaBox in the future. So far the solution is to downgrade to Big Sur which is a very anoying task.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

This sort of thing happened when Big Sur and Catalina came out. Gotta give the devs and Apple time to work things out. After all:
Apple.com wrote:https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/10/ ... available/
UPDATE
October 25, 2021
macOS Monterey is now available
That is only two days ago that Monterey became "finalized" by Apple. It takes the devs a couple months sometimes to fully support an OS after the manufacturer decides to stop twiddling with it.

A good restorable host OS disk image before changing the host OS is usually a good idea, so reverts can be done easily. (if Apple allows that sort of thing - it's a breeze on Windows.)
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

zenon1 wrote: ...
When I upgrade to Monterey from Big Sur Intel at the end of the process i got a popup window message from Apple telling that VirtualBox won't run on that update. They could have told before. So I think that Apple decided that VirtualBox is not a trustable application and locked it. I don't think they would revert and allow VirtuaBox in the future. So far the solution is to downgrade to Big Sur which is a very anoying task.
What you are saying is not quite true @zenon1. If you read the popup carefully, it is saying the VirtualBox is trying to install extensions that *may* not be supported in the future.

There are known problems with VirtualBox on macos Monterey:
1. There is a crash when trying to start a "headless" VM. The devs are aware of this, have apologised for missing it in their testing and have said a fix is on the way. https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/20636

2. The kernel drivers (kext) that VirtualBox uses are not being loaded automatically after a system boot. They must be loaded manually. https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/20637

I hope that helps
jbraw

Post by jbraw »

Thanks for the useful tip! Suggestion 2., loading the kernel drivers manually worked for me. But I did have to also disable my USB 3.0 controller in my Ubuntu guest OS. Hopefully that will be fixed by the developers soon as well.