Windows 11 on VB 6.1.26 on PC with no TPM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
MRL

Post by MRL »

Thanks to Toms Hardware site I have installed Windows 11 from an ISO file using VB 6.1.26 on a PC with a 6th gen Intel i7-6700K that does not have a TPM.
https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/cle ... windows-11
I followed the directions to create an ISO file and then simply went into VB and created Windows 11 Pro from the ISO
Install had no problems and even checked for updates
I am using Bridged network
Install asked for a key and I ignored it
My PC is not on the insider network
Check the enclosed image
There are other procedures on the site regarding Windows 11 and bypassing the TPM check
A system check does not indicate anything about authorization and not having install key. Not sure of what happens when Windows 11 is released on 10/5.
The procedure to bypass TPM may also work on my i7-6700K. I will wait until Windows 11 is released.
Attachments
Screen shot of Windows 11 using VB 6.1.26 on PC with no TPM (i7-6700K)
Screen shot of Windows 11 using VB 6.1.26 on PC with no TPM (i7-6700K)
Win 11 on PC VB 6-1-26.jpg (91.34 KiB) Viewed 7678 times
MRL

Re: Windows 11 on VB 6.1.26 on PC with no TPM

Post by MRL »

I checked the System setting and it does indicate no product key found. I was able to update Win 11 to latest. Not sure how long this will continue without activation. If nothing else, it would seem possible to update my i7-6700K with no TPM to Windows 11 using the same procedure to bypass the TPM check.
The Guest Additions CD seemed to install OK. No problem sizing the display window. Edge and other Microsoft apps working fine.
MRL

Post by MRL »

This is the actual link I used to create the ISO for VB
https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/byp ... equirement
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Personally, I think the whole TPM/Win11 discussion has already been done to death, so I doubt you'll get many takers for more.

viewtopic.php?t=91277.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

There are (with today's Test Build of VirtualBox, i.e. the 6.1.27r147252 one or later) several possibilities to install Windows 11 using standard install media. Yes, this build has now a Windows 11 guest OS type which has suitable defaults.

The easiest (in my eyes):
  • Create a Windows 11 VM using the GUI.
  • Set up unattended install: VBoxManage unattended install "win11example" --iso /path/to/Windows11.iso --user vbox --password secret
  • Start the VM, and make sure that you press a key when the Windows DVD boot loader asks you to.
Alternatively, if you prefer doing everything by hand:
  • Add a 2nd DVD drive to the default install.
  • 1st DVD drive gets the Windows install DVD, 2nd drive gets VirtualBox Guest Additions.
  • Start the VM, and make sure that you press a key when the Windows DVD boot loader asks you to.
  • When the Windows installer is started, press Shift+F10 to get a command prompt.
  • Use this command prompt to start regedit.exe, and import windows11-bypass.reg from the Guest Additions.
  • Close regedit and the command prompt, and continue with Windows 11 installation in the usual way.
johnjarry

Post by johnjarry »

klaus wrote:There are (with today's Test Build of VirtualBox, i.e. the 6.1.27r147252 one or later) several possibilities to install Windows 11 using standard install media. Yes, this build has now a Windows 11 guest OS type which has suitable defaults.

The easiest (in my eyes):
  • Set up unattended install: VBoxManage unattended install "win11example" --iso /path/to/Windows11.iso --user vbox --password secret
Alternatively, if you prefer doing everything by hand:
  • Add a 2nd DVD drive to the default install.
  • 1st DVD drive gets the Windows install DVD, 2nd drive gets VirtualBox Guest Additions.
  • When the Windows installer is started, press Shift+F10 to get a command prompt.
  • Use this command prompt to start regedit.exe, and import windows11-bypass.reg from the Guest Additions.
  • Close regedit and the command prompt, and continue with Windows 11 installation in the usual way.
klaus, I tried the first method but I get this error:

Code: Select all

$ VBoxManage unattended install "Windows 11" --iso ./Win11_EnglishInternational_x64.iso --user vbox --password secret
ùVBoxManage: info: Preparing unattended installation of Windows11_64 in machine 'Windows 11' (160e964d-b39b-42f6-bb94-3a14827066ac).
VBoxManage: error: Failed to open '/usr/share/virtualbox/UnattendedTemplates/win_nt6_unattended.xml' (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)
VBoxManage: error: Details: code VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80bb0001), component UnattendedWrap, interface IUnattended, callee nsISupports
VBoxManage: error: Context: "Prepare()" at line 1856 of file VBoxManageMisc.cpp
VirtualBox Version 6.1.28 r147628 (Qt5.15.2) on Fedora 34 Workstation
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

johnjarry wrote: [...]
klaus, I tried the first method but I get this error:

$ VBoxManage unattended install "Windows 11" --iso ./Win11_EnglishInternational_x64.iso --user vbox --password secret
ùVBoxManage: info: Preparing unattended installation of Windows11_64 in machine 'Windows 11' (160e964d-b39b-42f6-bb94-3a14827066ac).
VBoxManage: error: Failed to open '/usr/share/virtualbox/UnattendedTemplates/win_nt6_unattended.xml' (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)
VBoxManage: error: Details: code VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80bb0001), component UnattendedWrap, interface IUnattended, callee nsISupports
VBoxManage: error: Context: "Prepare()" at line 1856 of file VBoxManageMisc.cpp
VirtualBox Version 6.1.28 r147628 (Qt5.15.2) on Fedora 34 Workstation
This looks to me like you're using a broken VirtualBox package which lacks this important file or has it in the wrong place. Which VirtualBox package is this? From virtualbox.org?

If it's just in the wrong place then the file should be somewhere under /usr, and if you located the directory where it is you should be able to override the default locating by specifying it in the above command line with

--script-template=/path/to/win_nt6_unattended.xml
. I assume that the same will happen for win_postinstall.cmd, which you can override with

--post-install-template/path/to/win_postinstall.cmd
johnjarry

Post by johnjarry »

klaus wrote: This looks to me like you're using a broken VirtualBox package which lacks this important file or has it in the wrong place. Which VirtualBox package is this? From virtualbox.org?

If it's just in the wrong place then the file should be somewhere under /usr, and if you located the directory where it is you should be able to override the default locating by specifying it in the above command line with

--script-template=/path/to/win_nt6_unattended.xml
. I assume that the same will happen for win_postinstall.cmd, which you can override with

--post-install-template/path/to/win_postinstall.cmd
1. Yes, I have installed the .rpm downloaded from virtualbox.org, and installed it over the previous package (I don't remember whether the previous package was from virtualbox.org or from Fedora repo)

2. Using "find", I discovered the files are respectively in:

/usr/lib/virtualbox/UnattendedTemplates/win_nt6_unattended.xml
/usr/lib/virtualbox/UnattendedTemplates/win_postinstall.cmd
3. The following command worked:

VBoxManage unattended install "Windows 11" --iso="/my/path/Win11_EnglishInternational_x64.iso" --user=vbox --password=secret --script-template="/usr/lib/virtualbox/UnattendedTemplates/win_nt6_unattended.xml" --post-install-template="/usr/lib/virtualbox/UnattendedTemplates/win_postinstall.cmd"
Apparently it's also important to quote the path in all the parameters :)

Thank you very much!
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

Thanks for the feedback, and the fact that you're using the "official" VirtualBox package means that I can't blame anyone but our team (compounded by the fact that apparently next to no one uses the .deb/.rpm packages of 6.1 for unattended installs, meaning we didn't get any related feedback so far). We'll get this fixed.