Activation of Windows XP and 7

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
GregW67

Activation of Windows XP and 7

Post by GregW67 »

Does Microsoft still provide activation servers for Windows XP and 7?

I am having trouble activating Windows guests when they are Windows XP or 7. The software is genuine and is not being used on another computer. No message about non-genuine product keys comes up, it just simply seems to have trouble activating. I have Google-searched the error codes involved but the results simply say that Windows must have had trouble connecting to the activation server.

I know it is possible to activate by phone instead but I am simply asking the question : does Microsoft still provide activation for these older versions of Windows?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Activation of Windows XP and 7

Post by mpack »

If you want a definitive answer I think you need to ask that question on a Microsoft forum, not a VirtualBox forum.

I think I saw recently that XP activation servers still exist. I haven't checked it myself. I'm quite sure that Win7 servers must still exist.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

For what it's worth, I have had no success trying to activate XP lately. The Windows 7 servers must still be available - one of mine reactivated recently after a hardware change.
Bill
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

From Microsoft forum:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 46c86b3f6b
Microsoft Self Service for Mobile activation page) was able to help me activate a couple days ago. It may work for you.
https://microsoft.gointeract.io/interac ... ken=0Yr8Nd