I cannot Uninstall VirtualBox 6.1 from my system

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
richkitty06

I cannot Uninstall VirtualBox 6.1 from my system

Post by richkitty06 »

I have created this account just to discuss this issue since I really wasn't getting any replies.
My host OS is Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, and I can't get rid of this program. This problem is so bad, it has made to where I can't install apps from the app store anymore.
I have tried numerous ways to get rid of this program, even running the sudo apt-get remove --purge command, but to no avail.
It keeps popping up with this error:
installed virtualbox-6.1 package pre-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: I cannot Uninstall VirtualBox 6.1 from my system

Post by scottgus1 »

richkitty06 wrote:I have created this account just to discuss this issue since I really wasn't getting any replies.
You probably wouldn't be able get replies until you made an account and asked the question. :lol:

During installation or uninstallation, Virtualbox is not in control. Rather, the package manager and the host OS are running the process. So one would have to fix the package manager or host OS.

Although a forum guru may be able to help, a web search of "package pre-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1" returns results indicating this happens on Linux not necessarily related to Virtualbox. And interestingly, the first returned search result was to a Stack Exchage topic where the error was related to removing Virtualbox. Other results show this happens with other programs too.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: I cannot Uninstall VirtualBox 6.1 from my system

Post by fth0 »

In this case, VirtualBox is (partially) in control, a script named /var/lib/dpkg/info/virtualbox-6.1.prerm to be exact. I don't know how the whole uninstallation routines work, but it probably builds on knowledge how the corresponding installation routines work. Therefore, I'd try to reinstall the virtualbox-6.1 package first, then try to uninstall it again.