Mouse Driver Not Working with Windows 7

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Yuxi

Mouse Driver Not Working with Windows 7

Post by Yuxi »

I have Windows 7 installed in virtualbox. Everything works fine until I installed the guest additions, at which point the mouse driver stopped working so I cannot move the cursor in windows 7. In device manager it says "Windows cannot start the device because of a missing or corrupt driver." Installing another driver (generic ps/2 mouse, microsoft mouse, etc) gives the same problem.

Any ideas? :?
Thanks.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Yes. Use Windows Versions before crappy Alpha Versions.

Windows 7 is not supported.
PGHammer

Windows 7 Guests (all hosts)

Post by PGHammer »

stefan.becker wrote:Yes. Use Windows Versions before crappy Alpha Versions.

While the VBox Additions are not supported in Windows 7 guests directly, you can run Windows 7 as a guest. If you absolutely need the Guest Additions, install them in Compatibility Mode (Windows Vista) by mounting the Gest Additions image in the guest and making the changes *manually*, by using the Compability tab for the SETUP,EXE for the Windows Additions.
wswartzendruber
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Gentoo Linux, Windows 7

Re: Windows 7 Guests (all hosts)

Post by wswartzendruber »

PGHammer wrote:

While the VBox Additions are not supported in Windows 7 guests directly, you can run Windows 7 as a guest. If you absolutely need the Guest Additions, install them in Compatibility Mode (Windows Vista) by mounting the Gest Additions image in the guest and making the changes *manually*, by using the Compability tab for the SETUP,EXE for the Windows Additions.
You can do that with drivers? I thought that affected userspace apps only. If it's a driver, it plugs straight into the kernel.
Yuxi

Re: Windows 7 Guests (all hosts)

Post by Yuxi »

PGHammer wrote:

I ran the setup in compatibility mode and everything finished successfully (or so it says). After reboot the mouse driver stopped working. Even reinstalling a different, generic mouse driver doesn't work. :s
Kito

Post by Kito »

I set the drivers to run in Vista compatibility mode and also to run as an administrator and the mouse works fine for me, so you might want to try to also checking the box for the drivers to run as an administrator. You should be able to get guest additions up and running just as well as in XP or Vista (atleast it appears that way so far).