Guru meditation mode...

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Crystal82

Guru meditation mode...

Post by Crystal82 »

I used "Vagrant up" in the terminal, and vagrant asked me to open Virtual Box to see where the errors are. when I did that, it took a couple of seconds for the machine to change from running to guru meditation mode. I attached the log. At the same time, this is what turned out on the terminal when I ordered "vagrant up":

Command: ["modifyvm", "e7e8da6f-f6da-4c52-8a57-4a40293ae12f", "--natpf1", "delete", "ssh"]

Stderr: VBoxManage: error: The machine 'lighthouse_default_1624238404185_9943' is already locked for a session (or being unlocked)
VBoxManage: error: Details: code VBOX_E_INVALID_OBJECT_STATE (0x80bb0007), component MachineWrap, interface IMachine, callee nsISupports
VBoxManage: error: Context: "LockMachine(a->session, LockType_Write)" at line 554 of file VBoxManageModifyVM.cpp

I am new to this Linux system and VirtualBox...I already disabled the BIOS to install VB. please help. Thanks a lot!!!
Attachments
VBox.zip
(44.76 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Guru meditation mode...

Post by mpack »

Vagrant have their own support forums I believe. Only standard VirtualBox is supported here, and that only if the standard installer is used.
Crystal82

Post by Crystal82 »

Thanks mpack! I tried Vagrant and was redirected here, since it is more a virtual box issue as shown below...

The guest machine entered an invalid state while waiting for it
to boot. Valid states are 'starting, running'. The machine is in the
'gurumeditation' state. Please verify everything is configured
properly and try again.

If the provider you're using has a GUI that comes with it,
it is often helpful to open that and watch the machine, since the
GUI often has more helpful error messages than Vagrant can retrieve.
For example, if you're using VirtualBox, run `vagrant up` while the
VirtualBox GUI is open.

The primary issue for this error is that the provider you're using
is not properly configured. This is very rarely a Vagrant issue.

Is the log I provided earlier abnormal anywhere?

Thanks!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

If the same error can be demonstrated by running the VM from the main Virtualbox window without using any "vagrant" commands, then the problem would be a Virtualbox problem. Do you get the same error when double-clicking the VM in Virtualbox's VM list?

My previous googling on "is already locked for a session" site:forums.virtualbox.org says the outside script controlling Virtualbox (Vagrant) may be running the script too fast, and Virtualbox is being asked to do something that it needs time to do but the outside script isn't waiting.
Crystal82

Post by Crystal82 »

Thanks Scottgus1! I tried to run my virtual machine from Virtualbox app without opening Vagrant, but it is the same: after running for 1-3 seconds, a prompt appeared saying the machine is in the guru meditation mode...
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the attempt. Please zip and post the non-Vagrant-influenced most recent vbox.log.
Crystal82

Post by Crystal82 »

I have 4 logs in total... this is the lastest, after I tried and failed start the machine twice on its own w/o Vagrant. Would that be useful?

Thanks Scottgus1!
Attachments
VBox.log.3.zip
(47.45 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The log named "xxxx.3" is the oldest log, not the latest. The one simply named "VBox.log" is the latest. The new log seems to be nearly identical to the original one.

In particular, the log you provided shows that Vagrant is still present, plus it isn't even VirtualBox, it's actually the third party (Ubuntu) fork from the open sources.
00:00:00.063689 VirtualBox VM 6.1.16_Ubuntu r140961 linux.amd64 (Apr 29 2021 15:42:15) release log
00:00:00.242514 Per-VM extradata API settings:
00:00:00.242545 VBoxInternal2/SharedFoldersEnableSymlinksCreate/vagrant="1"
The log shows a weird VM name with a disk name of "precise32-disk001.vmdk", so I'm wondering if the VM was ever imported properly: this looks like it was manually unpacked from an OVA, which would imply that the VMDK is still stream-compressed.

The template is Ubuntu 64, but it only has 2GB RAM and 1 core. I don't think Ubuntu will be very happy with that. And only 8MB graphics RAM? You actually cut the graphics RAM?
Crystal82

Post by Crystal82 »

Thank you so much mpack!!!

After you pointing out the issue, I found out by clicking the virtualbox in my download folder, finding that it is not installed! (I used <sudo apt install virtualbox> in the command line...don't know why it was not properly installed...). I reinstalled it again and now everything works perfectly!

Though the graphics RAM is still 8MB and 2GB RAM...the core is 2 now. I just used a vagrantfile provided and it configured for me...I feel like I still need to learn a LOT to fully understand everything.

Thank you so much for your help!!