The instruction at 0x referenced memory at 0x... The memory could not be wrriten.

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Anish

The instruction at 0x referenced memory at 0x... The memory could not be wrriten.

Post by Anish »

Hi, I have been having an error with VirtualBox running Ubuntu 20.04LTS, the error pops up either when I switch off the VM or I am running intensive simulation software such as ROS. I've tried reinstalling the VM, removing VirtualBox but to no avail. I have attached a screenshot of the error below and the log file.
Attachments
Ubuntu-2021-04-20-00-15-15.rar
(35.79 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Error.PNG
Error.PNG (41.43 KiB) Viewed 2292 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: The instruction at 0x referenced memory at 0x... The memory could not be wrriten.

Post by scottgus1 »

Looks like you might have a hardening problem. Do you by chance have McAffee AV installed? If so, please uninstall it (not just disable) as a test, reboot, and try Virtualbox again.

If you don't have McAffee, please post the hardening log, like you did the vbox.log.
Anish

Re: The instruction at 0x referenced memory at 0x... The memory could not be wrriten.

Post by Anish »

Removing McAfee did the trick, thank you for your help! :)
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Windows 10's native AV & firewall work well and don't interfere with Virtualbox. However, if you must use McAffee, you might be able to set exceptions for every Virtualbox folder & exe, and every VM folder, and McAffee might be usable with Virtualbox again.

This has just cropped up. McAffe must have changed something.
Anish

Post by Anish »

So for some reason the error is back again but with a new code, I have attached screenshot of the error and Vbox Log and Hardening Log.
Attachments
Error.PNG
Error.PNG (48.42 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
Logs.rar
(51.54 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I suspect you are getting a crash in a host Intel Graphics device driver. Updating the graphics drivers might help.