[SOLVED] No sound on Windows 8 guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Lucmove

[SOLVED] No sound on Windows 8 guest

Post by Lucmove »

I've had this problem for many months, since when I installed this VM: no sound on a Windows 8 guest, Linux host.

I just upgraded from 6.16 to 6.18 and the problem remains. Is there a fix for that?

TIA
Last edited by Lucmove on 15. Oct 2021, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: No sound on Windows 8 guest

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Lucmove

Post by Lucmove »

Hi. I am uploading the log.

Another problem, possibly related:
guestadd.png
guestadd.png (10.56 KiB) Viewed 2992 times
I get that pop-up warning at every boot of the guest. I can't find any "Devices" menu anywhere. Is it in that same tiny Virtualbox icon in the system tray? I click it, double-click it and right-click it, and nothing happens. Is there another way to access the installation/update of the Guest Additions?
Attachments
W8-2021-04-13-17-12-11.log.zip
(46.73 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

The log shows what appears to be a good sound card setup inside the VM, but none of the usual sound-related log lines during the VM's use. I am not sure but I would suspect that the host is somehow not letting Virtualbox access the sound.

There is one thing notable about the VM, it is on a vmdk file, not a vdi file. vmdk's often come from imported OVAs. Did you import this VM? If so, where did you get it from? Could it have been from an existing computer that was exported to a VM? If so, it may have hardware drivers that are interfering with the Virtualbox 'hardware'. Also telling is the LSILogic storage controller, instead of the usual SATA.

Do you have any other VM's with working sound? Can you make a new VM with either Windows (unactivated) or Linux OS and see if sound works in the VM?

Re the Guest Additions Devices menu, this menu is in the VM window's menu bar. This menu bar can be hidden in the VM's User Interface settings, or if the VM is running Scaled, Fullscreen or Seamless. You can add the Guest Additions ISO to the VM's Optical drive in the VM's Storage settings, then run the installer from the VM's CD drive.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, other users had more success when using PulseAudio instead of ALSA on the host side.
Lucmove

Post by Lucmove »

Fixed after release of VirtualBox version 6.1.24. More details here.