Disable mouse pointer integration & auto mouse capture

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
kbs1

Disable mouse pointer integration & auto mouse capture

Post by kbs1 »

Hello, is it possible to turn mouse pointer integration off using the console? I run virtualbox on separate X server on fullscreen and I need to turn mouse integration off to play many games in virtual windows xp. I checked both VBoxManage and VBoxSDL but can't find any option to disable this. Guest additions are installed (for better graphics performance).

Also I would like VirtualBox to immediately capture mouse & keyboard input upon start-up (cant find an option also)

Thank you
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

For the Guest, you could open it with the default GUI and set it from there. You can also change the driver it must use back to the default mouse. That should also disable the seamless mouse.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
kbs1

Post by kbs1 »

Hmm Sasquatch I tried, but I could not do it in windows XP... guest additions installed... I noticed that file system32/drivers/vboxmouse.sys is always loaded together with the mouse driver from microsoft... when I deleted the file the mouse just stucks at the center of the screen and does not react 8) And windows complains that drivers for that device cannot be loaded.

Anyway, if I set it from the default GUI, will VirtualBox rember this setting so pointer integration is automatically disabled on the next start of the VM?

Thanks
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

I don't know if it's remembered. The auto resize is.

If you force the Guest to use a specific driver for the mouse, it will use that instead of the VB driver. Or at least, it should.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.

kbs1

Post by kbs1 »

Sasquatch, I tried just now, and the setting is not remembered :( So now I cannot play WWP because of this... How do I force windows XP to use the standard driver? Thanks
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

Go to the device manager (right click on my computer, then select manage), open the properties of the mouse and go to the driver tab. Select "update driver" and select the generic mouse driver to be used. Any driver will do, as long as it has only 3 mouse buttons which one is the scroll wheel. Something like a Logitech PS/2 mouse, or MS Explorer mouse will do fine. You can even remove the vboxmouse driver manually if you can find it. Open a few .inf files in /windows/inf and you should find it and any reference to it. Remove the files and it should be uninstalled too. Or at least, if you changed the driver first, not come back ;). Until you update the GA that is.