VirtualBox 6.0 and Hyper-V

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Re: VirtualBox 6.0 and Hyper-V

Post by klaus »

BillG, please provide VBox.log for the hanging VM run... that's the bare minimum requirement to make your report meaningful (otherwise it's just a nice looking screenshot without much additional information), as described in first section of the Troubleshooting chapter in the manual.
bbahes

Post by bbahes »

shawnz wrote:BillG, on Pro you should see all three of the options. Scroll down and you should see the other two (Virtual Machine Platform and Windows Hypervisor Platform) near the bottom.

But the difference between them is not relevant to Virtualbox. Activating any of those components will enable Hyper-V to load at boot, and if Hyper-V is loaded, you will get the green turtle.
And you get slow guest VM...
Will this ever be resolved?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

bbahes wrote:Will this ever be resolved?
That's a hard one. Predicting the future is a little hard. :shock: The devs can but try, and if Microsoft stopped changing things then that turtle might be able to be sent down to the Galapagos some day...
JochenW

Post by JochenW »

I would like to point out, that there seem to be other issues, which might come into the game:

I have a VM, on which the green turtle is active (Indeed, I have Hyper-V enabled, because I need it to run the Docker Desktop.)

On the same VM,

1.) booting from CentOS-8.3.2011-x86_64-dvd1.iso fails, reporting VERR_CPUM_RAISE_GP_0 (see https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/20141 for details).
2.) booting from ubuntu-20.10-desktop-amd64.iso works just fine.

In other words: Depending on the Linux kernel, using Hyper-V might work (or not).
djangofan

Post by djangofan »

Quick question: is using VMWare a working and functional alternative?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

djangofan wrote:is using VMWare a working and functional alternative?
Alternative to what? Running VMware under Hyper-V as opposed to Virtualbox under Hyper-V?

If so, we wouldn't really know. You could try it and let us know...
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

scottgus1 wrote:... and let us know...
Or not! Knowing how VMWare works or not in some particular scenario is not very useful to a VirtualBox user AFAICS. And like you Scott I have no idea whether it works, and have no motive to find out!
raidenz

CentOS 8.2 / VBox Windows 10 Host / Cannot Install OS

Post by raidenz »

I am having the EXACT same issue. Running Virtualbox 6.1.18 on the latest Windows 10 Pro and I have docker Desktop also installed. Trying to install CentOS 8.3 iso and it freezes during kernel loading. I even tried the latest CentOS 8 stream [CentOS-Stream-8-x86_64-20210204-dvd1.iso] and it freezes during kernel initialization. [Shows green turtle icon when Hyper-V is enabled].

If I run a custom made linux distro [running linux kernel 5.10.13], it boots without an issue.

It's only if I disable Hyper-V and reboot and re-run Virtualbox, CentOS 8 or CentOS Stream works without any issue [no green turtle icon]. I would love to see this get fixed in Virtualbox to get CentOS 8.3 working when Hyper-v is enabled. [MsrExit/0: 0010:ffffffffbb864d98/LM: WRMSR 00000033, 20000000:00000000 -> VERR_CPUM_RAISE_GP_0!]
aquacrayfish

Post by aquacrayfish »

I'm seeing the same error. Windows 10 Home Editon (so Hyper-V is not a valid feature), basic HyperVisor Platform Windows Feature is enabled, VirtualBox Guest Additions installed and version 6.1.
Attachments
Windows 98 II-2021-02-07-11-19-30.zip
(7.22 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

It may not be a feature of Windows Home, but activating anything which loads the hypervisor will cause problems.

Either turn it off or prevent the hypervisor from loading using the bcdedit command (or both to be sure!)
Bill
P_G

Post by P_G »

JochenW wrote:Depending on the Linux kernel, using Hyper-V might work (or not).
raidenz wrote:If I run a custom made linux distro [running linux kernel 5.10.13], it boots without an issue.
Virtualbox 6.1.18 with debian guest, only kernel 5.9.3 boot, the 5.10.13 and 5.7.6 crash.

Maybe the custom kernel change the behavior ?
P_G

Post by P_G »

Virtualbox 6.1.22 r144080 fixed the issue for kernel 5.10. I did not test other kernels.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

We are officially calling in the dogs and putting out the fire on this topic. :lol:

As can be seen by reading this long tome of a topic, Virtualbox continues to develop running under Hyper-V. Successes and failures depend on the host and VM OS being used. As situations develop, new Microsoft Windows versions come out, and new OS's to be used in the VMs come out, it will come down to personal experimentation whether a particular host Windows version and VM OS will work with active host Hyper-V running.

If anyone has a question about running their VMs in Virtualbox under active host Hyper-V, please start a new topic for their own host and VM situation.