vpn

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: ubuntu windows10 ( 32 & 64) windows 7 android

vpn

Post by 7787 »

not able to start any vbox instance. admittedly, i am no expert a may have gone beyond my means. was looking to set up a vpn on aws, first in the guest without success then on the host. did some code edits in admin to change windows so i could use Linux. not sure if the edits to use ubuntu in windows were the problem or an upgrade of vbox. what is the problem and or solution?

(Mod edit: the walls of text and clipped logs unfortunately don't help. Zipped files can be uploaded and a zipped log almost always fits.)
Last edited by scottgus1 on 3. Mar 2021, 21:18, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: removed log text wall and log snippets, zipped & uploaded logs are better
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: vpn

Post by scottgus1 »

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log.

Search the far left tab's log for this text:

Attempting fall back to NEM

If you find it, Hyper-V is enabled and needs to be disabled. See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).

If you don't find that text, save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Post by 7787 »

"Or it might guru-meditate..." Lol, LOL
Was advised a reinstatement of windows on the host would work, is that correct?
Did the reg edits and no luck (was that a reversion back to before I enabled hyper-v on the host), what next?

Post by 7787 »

reinstalled windows 10 on the host, fixed the windows problems and i thought i had ubuntu 20.04 working. when i turned off and started the Linux guest -- after updates and other maintenance -- it would not start after the login password screen (tried changing to any other paravirtualization interface but that did not work) , what can i do?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

We await a zipped log, as asked above.

Post by 7787 »

sorry, i deleted the instance and started agian, the logs are all gone now. still having a world of problems. ubuntu will ask for a password than just a black screen ( i think waiting for command line inputs but the keyboard is not captured). Been looking at an cloud machine because I think part of my problem is I am reaching the Max of my memory physically, would that help?
Attachments
ubun-2021-03-10-00-03-02.zip
(44.44 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

You don't have the offending "Attempting fall back to NEM", so the usual suspect for your origianl problem "not able to start any vbox instance", if described correctly, is not caused by Hyper-V on the Windows 10 host PC.

However:
00:00:04.525426 Installed Extension Packs:
00:00:04.525436 Heidenhain VBoxJHIO Extension Pack (Version: 4.3.0 r6; VRDE Module: )
What on God's green earth is this? :lol:
Try uninstalling this extension pack as a test, reboot, then try Virtualbox again.
00:00:04.682450 Guest OS type: 'Ubuntu_64'
Paravirtualization:
00:00:05.316453 GIM: Using provider 'HyperV' (Implementation version: 0)
The VM's System settings, Acceleration tab, Paravirtualization Interface has been modified from the default. Modify it back. Ubuntu definitely does not speak Hyper-V. Default or KVM should work.

Send us a new log if you change these and still have troubles.

Post by 7787 »

To be clear I did have that NEM issue and reset windows.

as for clearing, can not start to get rid of the offending party so I think I will try another distro.
Last edited by scottgus1 on 14. Mar 2021, 15:01, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: removed full quote of previous message
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

7787 wrote:can not start to get rid of the offending party
Which is "the offending party" and what trouble are you having?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I can tell you that random and irrelevant settings changes (such as telling Ubuntu that it has to use a Windows hypervisor API) are not going to lead to a stable VM. You would be well advised to stick to a standard template until you know what the settings mean, and then only change them when you already know what the result will be.

As to the extension pack, the only reference I can find is this one:
https://www.heidenhain.de/de_DE/service ... rtual-box/

Unless you need the "bin programming" (CNC?) feature provided by Heidenhain, this "extension pack" should be deleted immediately, if for no other reason than it's clearly intended for VirtualBox 4.3.0, not VirtualBox 6.1.18.

Post by 7787 »

Good day. the extension for this cnc simulation program is gone, these type of programs was the reason i first started with virtualbox but the way they list program is not clear. was not aware of which one i was trying to start, in any case part of the appeal of vbox is you can brake the machine without destroying your computer, i want things to work but that is still my mindset; nevertheless, i will be more careful.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Is your VM working now?

If not, please post a new vbox.log.

Post by 7787 »

yah, thanks, windows work. i gave up on ubuntu and started a fedora vm, deleted all the old. good day.