Can't install Vbox Guest Additions 6.18

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
IliyanIlievUXUI

Can't install Vbox Guest Additions 6.18

Post by IliyanIlievUXUI »

Hello,

Yesterday I updated my Vbox to 6.18 and today when I opened my Whonix Workstation (I don't get that message in the Whonix Getaway) I got this popup: Please install Vbox Guest Additions 6.18 by clicking "Devices" etc...

First I searched "VBox Guest Additions 6.18 download" but found nothing.
Then I realized that I have this file: "VBoxGuestAdditions.iso" in my VBox directory. Then I opened the settings of my Whonix Workstation and in "Storage" I added new "Optical Disk" which is the "VboxGuestAdditions.iso"

Then I started my Getaway, then my Workstation and in the Workstation when I went to "Devices" and clicked "Insert Vbox Guest Additions CD" (something like that, the last option) I got the following error: https://ibb.co/52ShxJ5

I am stuck from this point.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Can't install Vbox Guest Additions 6.18

Post by scottgus1 »

IliyanIlievUXUI wrote:First I searched "VBox Guest Additions 6.18 download" but found nothing.
6.18 doesn't exist, maybe that's why you couldn't get a search result. 6.1.18 exists...

Official Virtualbox from http://www.virtualbox.org comes with the Guest Additions bundled, no separate download needed.
IliyanIlievUXUI wrote:Please install Vbox Guest Additions 6.18 by clicking "Devices" etc...
This set of instructions is not quoted completely, so we don't know if they told the whole story, but what you wrote is on the correct path:

Devices menu > Insert Guest Additions CD Image > GAs 'CD' loads into the VM's CD drive > Run the installer from the VM's CD drive.
(note that Linux requires prerequisites before installing Guest Additions, see https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... ions-Linux and https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq
IliyanIlievUXUI wrote: I opened the settings of my Whonix Workstation and in "Storage" I added new "Optical Disk" which is the "VboxGuestAdditions.iso"

Then I started my Getaway, then my Workstation and in the Workstation when I went to "Devices" and clicked "Insert Vbox Guest Additions CD" (something like that, the last option) I got the following error
In the first line of this quote you loaded the GAs CD in a second VM CD drive. Then you followed the correct path above to load the GAs CD into the first VM CD drive. I haven't looked at your error link (screenshots should be resized and cropped then plate with the forum's Upload Attachment tab, and the text of the error using the Copy button is even better) but I'll wager it was VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED. This is because Linux VMs blow a fuse when the same ISO is loaded into two CD drives in the same VM.

Go into the VM's settings and delete that second optical drive, leave the first one in place but empty it. The VM should be ok then.
IliyanIlievUXUI

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, 6.18 doesn't exist (ooops :D )

You are right on my error code: VERR_ODM_MEDIA_LOCKED thats exactly what Im getting.

Still I couldn't understand your last line. What you mean by: "same ISO is loaded into two CD drives in the same VM?"

I never loaded the ISO twice on any of the VMs if thats what you meant by saying the above. When I go to Storage > Storage Devices > Controller: Whonix-Workstation-XFCE-sas > and below I have Hard Disk named: Whonix-XFCE-15.0.1.5.4-disk002.vdi and then I add Optical Drive which is "VBoxGuestAdditions.iso" (the ISO located at my VBOX directory)

And thats it.

I don't load the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso on my Whonix Gateway because I don't get the message to update GA there, only on the Workstation.

I tried the instructions here https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... ions-Linux
I ran rcvboxadd setup as root, it installed fine.
Then I rebooted and I got heavy errors messages (I forgot to remember the name of the errors, sorry I panicked at the errors) it was something like: VBOX Entry Error... (non stop popups, cant close them)

So I am nowhere in updating the GA.
Last edited by scottgus1 on 2. Mar 2021, 21:58, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Took out quote of complete previous post - Please use Post Reply
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

IliyanIlievUXUI wrote:I never loaded the ISO twice on any of the VMs
Load #1:
IliyanIlievUXUI wrote: have this file: "VBoxGuestAdditions.iso" in my VBox directory. Then I opened the settings of my Whonix Workstation and in "Storage" I added new "Optical Disk" which is the "VboxGuestAdditions.iso"
Load #2:
IliyanIlievUXUI wrote:when I went to "Devices" and clicked "Insert Vbox Guest Additions CD"
VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED is common, it's always because the GAs have been loaded twice.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose "Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager". In the window that opens, zip the VM's .vbox file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (If you have a Windows host, please make sure all file extensions are shown, so you will be able to see the .vbox extension easier.)
IliyanIlievUXUI

(mod edit: please don't use Quote to reply, use Post Reply.

File is uploaded.
Attachments
Whonix-Workstation-XFCE.zip
(2.35 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Last edited by scottgus1 on 3. Mar 2021, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Took out quote of complete previous post - Please use Post Reply
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

<StorageControllers>
      <StorageController name="Whonix-Workstation-XFCE-sas" type="LsiLogicSas" PortCount="8" useHostIOCache="false" Bootable="true">
        <AttachedDevice type="HardDisk" hotpluggable="false" port="0" device="0">
          <Image uuid="{60af6a82-0e70-40f2-9e0c-2d7f52674398}"/>
        </AttachedDevice>
      </StorageController>
    </StorageControllers>
Thanks. Now you have no CD drives in the VM. So the GAs CD ISO has nowhere to mount. In the VM's Storage settings, add a CD drive like you did before. Don't put any CDs or ISOs in it.

Then start the VM, let it recognize the new CD drive, mount it in the Linux OS if necessary. Then use the Devices menu, "Insert Guest Additions CD Image" to load the bundled GAs ISO (not your downloaded ISO). Then run the prerequisites above, and the GAs installer from the VM's CD drive.
IliyanIlievUXUI

Hi again,

I did all of the steps you listed above like this:

1) Create Empty Optical Drive in the Storage of Whonix- Workstation.
2) Run the VM and press "Insert GA CD Image"
3) The opened terminal and ran the prerequisites which you listed as root: and here I got this error:

root@host:/home/user# <StorageControllers>
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
root@host:/home/user# <StorageController name="Whonix-Workstation-XFCE-sas" type="LsiLogicSas" PortCount="8" useHostIOCache="false" Bootable="true">
root@host:/home/user# <AttachedDevice type="HardDisk" hotpluggable="false" port="0" device="0">
root@host:/home/user# <Image uuid="{60af6a82-0e70-40f2-9e0c-2d7f52674398}"/>
root@host:/home/user# </AttachedDevice>
root@host:/home/user# </StorageController>
root@host:/home/user# </StorageControllers>
root@host:/home/user#

4) I couldn't find the CD drive of the VM and here I am stuck.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

IliyanIlievUXUI wrote:3) The opened terminal and ran the prerequisites which you listed as root: and here I got this error:
Sorry, the <StorageControllers> stuff wasn't the prerequisites. That was the XML from the .vbox file showing you didn't have a CD drive in the VM at that time.
scottgus1 wrote:Linux requires prerequisites before installing Guest Additions, see https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... ions-Linux and https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq
IliyanIlievUXUI wrote:4) I couldn't find the CD drive of the VM and here I am stuck.
Where Whonix shows its CD drive or how to mount a new one is something to be web-searched from Whonix help channels or the Linux source Whonix is based on.
IliyanIlievUXUI

I found this video which clearly shows how to mount the CD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3pPGSp ... amodharanC

I followed all of the steps but when It came to the actual mounting syntax I face this error:

root@host:/usr/bin# /usr/bin/mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/sr0 /mnt/vbga

bash: /usr/bin/mount: Is a directory

Note: before getting "Is a directory" error, I got "Can't find this directory" error so I went and created "mount" directory.

I googled about this error but found nothing.

I also followed the prerequisites but still nothing.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Even if you follow the prerequisites correctly you will not be able to install Guest Additions until you have a usable CD drive in the VM's OS.

The correct commands for mounting the CD drive in the VM OS's is not a Virtualbox problem and is not within the scope of this forum. Please use Whonix's help channels to get your CD drive mounted and usable.

Then if you have trouble completing the prerequisites or running the Guest Additions installer, please make a new topic in Linux Guests.
IliyanIlievUXUI

Okay, Thanks for the help.