Enable USB Controller for Windows XP on Mac OS X

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Deg

Enable USB Controller for Windows XP on Mac OS X

Post by Deg »

I currently have VirtualBox running Windows XP on Mac OS X. How do I enable a USB device plugged into my Mac to work in the XP virtual environment? The USB icon underneath the VirtualBox window is currently disabled.

Thanks for the help!
- Deg -
cmunoz33

Same question.....

Post by cmunoz33 »

Yes, great question. I've tried, but I can not figure out how to enable the usb (XP), on my macbook.
Ralli

Post by Ralli »

You have to enable USB in the preferences of the vm.

If you've done so you have to configure a "filter" and to tell this filter that it should be used in the vm.
LinuxLion

Post by LinuxLion »

Well it is not working for me neither...

I just installed VB on an leopard host (10.5.4) and then I did set up an virtual machine for ubuntu.

But right befor installation I tried to alter settings again and got this message:

KEIN ZUGRIFF AUF USB SUBSYSTEM (No access to USB subsystem)

Could not load the Host USB Proxy service (VERR_GENERAL_FAILURE).

Fehlercode:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x00004005)
Komponente:
Host
Interface:
IHost {489fb370-c227-4d43-9761-ceb28484fd9f}
Callee:
IMachine {1e509de4-d96c-4f44-8b94-860194f710ac}

What should I do now?

Best
lion
LinuxLion

Post by LinuxLion »

Edit: Problem solved
kramer

Post by kramer »

I figured out how to get USB devices working and can now get my blackberry 8830 to communicate with BB's desktop manager under windows 7. The first time I did this, I backed up my entire BB. Since then, it cuts out after about 10 seconds. I want to upgrade my OS on the phone and you need a PC to do this.
Wini

What's the solution to enabling USB on XP - Leopard host?

Post by Wini »

I need to connect a USB device to Windows. Preferences and the USB link are both grayed out on my VM menu. I went to 'help' and typed in USB -- got several live links. BUt when I clicked on one, and then another, I got this message:

The virtual machine does not have a USB controller.

Result Code:
VBOX_E_PDM_ERROR (0x80BB0006)
Component:
Console
Interface:
IConsole {e3c6d4a1-a935-47ca-b16d-f9e9c496e53e}

Any helpful suggestions?
:?:
spicaspikes

Re: Enable USB Controller for Windows XP on Mac OS X

Post by spicaspikes »

HI,
Im using macbook 10.5.5, virtual box 2.1.4
I thought i cannot enable the USB but i just did.
All i did was:
I powered off the machine (Windows XP).
Got back to Virtual Box Window, make sure the Windows XP machine is chosen(higlighted).
In Details tab, put the cursor in USB, you'll notice, an acive link is now working, unlike the before.
Clicked it or double clicked, another window popped up.
Look for Ports tab or image, check "Enable USB Controller", check all necessary boxes.
After, click OK.
Then you can see now, under USB, "Device Filters".

So far this is it.
Ill try to explore more.
Hope this could help.

Thanks,
Wini

Post by Wini »

Thanks so much for your help! I guess the trick is to power down Windows before working on these settings. It took a little trial and error after I got to the point you described, but I was able to add my devices from a list of the ones that were connected. Really appreciate your help!
cuvtixo

Post by cuvtixo »

Just thought I'd add that on VirtualBox 2.1.4 on my MacBook, I'm asked to enable USB controller, and Enable USB 2.0 (EHCI) Controller, and under USB Device Filters, in addition to usb flash drive(USB DISK 2.0), there are checkboxes for Micron Built-in iSight, Apple Computer Inc. IR Receiver, Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller and Apple Computer Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad and 4 digit numbers next to each named device.
I skimmed pages 52 and 53 of the User's Manual-- I assume that enabling all of the non-memory USB devices is perfectly OK
(There is a warning on pg. 53: if USB hard disk that is currently mounted on the host, when the guest is activated, it will be dis-
connected from the host without a proper shutdown. This may cause data loss.)
MICK2517

Post by MICK2517 »

confirming that by ejecting USB stick from mac os x finder it will be activated on virtual box even using windows xp.

But my problem is:
This method works only with USB sticks
Not USB external hard drives
it gives you: "Failed to attach USB device Unknown device 0000:0000 to the virtual machine"
"Callee RC: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x800004005)"

what should I do/ Can anyone help?
MICK2517

spicaspikes

Post by spicaspikes »

Hi MICK2517,
USB hard drives should just work as well.
Try to check this out.
As you open the virtual box software, it brought you to VirtualBOx Window, right?
Click the USB link Under Details Tab.
So, based on your story, i assumed that Enable USB Controller already checked.
Have you seen your USB hard drive under the USB Device Filters panel? If not, click the icon (+),
It will list the available USB device detected.
Check if the your desired hard drive name is present in the list.
If yes, click it and will automatically added to the USB Device Filters, as active.
If no, the usb cant be detected, there is a problem in usb port of the hard drive.
In this case, thy to use, USB hub.

I might not sure of this yet, but we'll never know unless we try.
I hope the first option will work.
Good luck po. =)
dking1963
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 2003

Post by dking1963 »

Spicaspike

OK, here is my problem. I am running VBox 2.14 on a Mac OS MacBook like some of the others. The guest is a Windows 2003 SP2 instance. I have gotten to the point described in the above post where my USB device is specifically listed in the Filtered list (It is an external HD - Maxtor). Also under Devices | USB Devices in the top menu the Maxtor device shows up and is checked. All looks great to this point and the USB Device looks like it is connected, but inside the guest in Windows Explorer or My Computer the USB device is not showing up. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

David
cintra
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Windows 7 RC

Post by cintra »

With a little help from this thread, and something I read elsewhere about editing the filtered flash selection and clearing all its details but for its name, I finally managed to get a Patriot 4GB Flash drive recognized and working with W7 on a Leopard host ..and it comes up again after a restart! :)

The USB 'filters' setup is confusing, and not well enough explained for OSX users...

The other problem I am having difficulty with is ReadyBoost (RB), which appears not to work at all in the W7 VM, even with known OK RB drives.

I should perhaps start another thread about that, but if anyone can confirm ReadyBoost does not work at all on W7 VM, pls let me know :)

Mvh
chaad
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: windows XP

Post by chaad »

i have a big problem for see my usb drive.

Code: Select all

[img]http://chaad.free.fr/DIVERS/Image2.png[/img]
[img]http://chaad.free.fr/DIVERS/Image1.png[/img]