unable to read from isos or CDs

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
thedigi321

unable to read from isos or CDs

Post by thedigi321 »

hey guys I am having trouble with Virtualbox unable to read the ISOs I have. ISOs I have used on real computers, and some that shouldn't have issues. One is a ubuntu iso, checksums match, the host can read the isos. One was Windows XP, my host can read the disks just fine, and even pointing to my Virtualbox to my host disk, it can't read the medium. I get the same error "could not read from the boot medium! system halted".

I know Windows XP is EOL, but I want to run some old games from it that don't work well in the newer versions of windows/relive some of my childhood fun.

my disk is present where it is pointed, the optical drive is the first boot, I have no errors in settings. I am at a loss
Attachments
VBox.log
VBox log of my windows xp
(114.4 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: unable to read from isos or CDs

Post by mpack »

Are these ISO images of bootable CDs? You can't boot from a non-bootable CD.

The log file provided does not show any ISO mounted in VM virtual drive?

You should pay more attention to the VM settings too. XP can stand to use more than 192MB RAM and 18MB graphics RAM. I'd increase the former to 1024MB and the latter to 64MB. Keep an eye on RAM use on the host, an awful lot of your 16GB seems to be in use somewhere.

Install the host extension pack.

Finally, and probably most inportantly, you should dump Hyper-v.
00:00:05.237395 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: AMD-V is not available
00:00:05.308258 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
See the last post in FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.
thedigi321

Post by thedigi321 »

Hey thanks for the reply, I am not sure why it says AMD-V is not available but I do have CPU virtualization on (my bios still uses SVM mode which as far as I can gather is the name before AMD-V trademark rebranding).

I did increase the ram to 1 GB, and graphics to about 128. host ram is fine, I run BIONC and it disables when something needs the resources(say modded MC, ) I suppose windows XP is not enough to have BOINC pause. I Apologies for the log, I thought it was still mounted I guess I was wrong. I did find out that my XP iso was a non-bootable ISO so I downloaded an archive.org one.

For Ubuntu it is probably the same story. downloading the latest iso and probably going to use something like YUMI to make a bootable usb and have Virtual box boot from the USB
Last edited by mpack on 3. Mar 2021, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove verbatim quote.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

thedigi321 wrote: Hey thanks for the reply, I am not sure why it says AMD-V is not available
I said why in my post, it's because you have Hyper-v enabled. Hyper-v grabs AMD-v and doesn't share. Read the FAQ I referenced.
thedigi321 wrote: For Ubuntu it is probably the same story. downloading the latest iso and probably going to use something like YUMI to make a bootable usb and have Virtual box boot from the USB
USB is not going to work. You need an ISO to boot a blank VirtualBox VM. And it's highly unlikely that you have a non-bootable Ubuntu ISO since AFAIK they don't make any other kind: if it's an installer ISO downloaded from the official source then it's bootable. See chapter 1 of the user manual for how to create a VM using it.