Oracle VM VB6118 Setup ended prematurely

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
helpweb

Oracle VM VB6118 Setup ended prematurely

Post by helpweb »

Hallo Zusammen

Seit einigen Jahren setze ich Oracle VirtualBox ein.

Bisher konnte ich die OVB immer erfolgreich aktualisieren auf die neueste Version.
Die zu letzt installierte Version war 6.1.16. Nun bekamm ich die Meldung, dass ein Update vorhanden ist, so wollte ich diese Version 6.1.18 installieren.
Es hat mir die bisherige Version deinstalliert und am Schluss bekam ich die folgende Meldung, siehe PrintScreen.
Habe das Gerät neu gestartet und nochmals versucht, auch erfolglos. Habe auch versucht OVB zu installieren in dem ich den Virenschutz deaktivierte und das Gerät neu gestartet habe. Aber auch so konnte ich OVB nicht installieren.
Auch die Version OVB 6.1.16 kann ich nicht mehr installieren.
Ich habe danach folgende Programme noch installiert CCLeaner und 7Zip. Die konnte ich ohne Probleme installieren.

Hier paar Infos übers System:
Windows Server 2012 R2 mit 64bit und 8gb Ram.
Virenschutz TrendMicro «Worry-Free Business Security

Was kann ich machen, dass ich OVB wieder installieren kann?
Vielen Dank für eure Tipps.
===
Hi
I have been using Oracle VirtualBox for a few years.

So far I have always been able to successfully update OVB to the latest version.
The last installed version was 6.1.16. Now I got the message that an update is available, so I wanted to install this version 6.1.18.
It uninstalled the previous version and at the end I got the following message, see PrintScreen.
I restarted the device and tried again, also without success. I also tried to install OVB by deactivating the virus protection and restarting the device. But even then I could not install OVB.
I cannot install the version OVB 6.1.16 either.
I then installed the following programmes CCLeaner and 7Zip. I was able to install them without any problems.

Here is some information about the system:
Windows Server 2012 R2 with 64bit and 8gb Ram.
Virus protection TrendMicro "Worry-Free Business Security

What can I do so that I can install OVB again?
Many thanks for your tips.
Attachments
VirtualBox6118.jpg
VirtualBox6118.jpg (50.2 KiB) Viewed 1555 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Oracle VM VB6118 Setup ended prematurely

Post by scottgus1 »

First, try disabling Trend Micro's real-time scanning, or temporarily uninstall Trend Micro.

Also, try right-clicking the Virtualbox installer and Run As Administrator, even if you already have admin priveleges.

The Virtualbox installer is really a Microsoft program that works with the Windows MSI installer database. Google for how to enable MSI logging, then try the installation again. If it fails, please post the log as a zip file.
socratis wrote:Basic troubleshooting steps for Windows Installer.

I have two other links to suggest. See also if you have any corrupted MSI database files:
helpweb

Post by helpweb »

Danke schon mal für die Antwort.

TrendMicros habe ich komplett ausgeschaltet, ist nicht mehr aktiv, auch LiveModus nicht.
Der 1ste Link «Basic Troubleshooting steps for Windows Installer» habe ich angeschaut.
msiexec kann ich aufstarten, ohne Fehler.
Ich sehe, dass ich den Windows Installer V5.0.9600 habe
Die Links «Repair MSI» und «Windows Repair 4.5.1» habe ich auch angeschaut, aber nicht durchgeführt, weil die Beitrage aus meiner Sicht nicht für mein System ist, ich habe ein Windows Server 2012 R2, dieser steht nicht auf den Links.
Kann man dies trotzdem verwenden?
===
Thank you for the answer.

I have completely switched off TrendMicros, it is no longer active, nor is LiveMode.
I have looked at the first link "Basic Troubleshooting steps for Windows Installer".
I can start msiexec without errors.
I see that I have the Windows Installer V5.0.9600.
I also looked at the links "Repair MSI" and "Windows Repair 4.5.1", but did not run them, because from my point of view they are not for my system, I have a Windows Server 2012 R2, which is not on the links.
Can I still use this?
helpweb

Post by helpweb »

OVB deinstalliert erst die bisherige Version. Installiert dann die neuste Version. Am Schluss deinstalliert ers wieder und gibt diese Fehlermeldung.
===
OVB first uninstalls the previous version. Then installs the latest version. Finally, it uninstalls again and gives this error message.
Attachments
VirtualBox6118a.jpg
VirtualBox6118a.jpg (21.41 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

scottgus1 wrote:Google for how to enable MSI logging, then try the installation again. If it fails, please post the log as a zip file.
helpweb

Unsuccessful Oracle VM VB6118 Update

Post by helpweb »

I have been using Oracle VirtualBox for several years.

So far I have always been able to successfully update OVB to the latest version.
The last installed version was 6.1.16. Now I got the message that an update is available, so I wanted to install this version 6.1.18.
It uninstalled the previous version for me, installed the new one and finally uninstalled it again and the following message appeared, see PrintScreen.
I restarted the device and tried again, also without success. I also tried to install OVB by deactivating the virus protection and restarting the device. But even then I could not install OVB.
I cannot install the version OVB 6.1.16 either.

Here is some information about the system:
Windows Server 2012 R2 with 64bit and 8gb Ram.
The Windows Installer V5.0.9600 was already installed on the server.
Virus protection TrendMicro "Worry-Free Business Security

What can I do so that I can install OVB again?
Many thanks for your tips.
Last edited by scottgus1 on 3. Mar 2021, 04:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged from a separate topic
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Please keep the questions about this topic here instead of spreading them around. Your fix for the problem has been given above twice. If you cannot understand how to follow the instructions, get a local friend who knows computers to help you follow them.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Your new post on this same subject has been deleted. If you disobey the above requirement against posting the same subject in multiple places again, you will be banned. Please continue your discussion here when you return.