Win XP cannot detect SATA harddrive

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
OliverO

Win XP cannot detect SATA harddrive

Post by OliverO »

Hello!

Virtualbox is a great software but at the moment I have some trouble with it.

Host System:
ASUS M3A78 PRO (AMD 780G)
AMD 5000+
Seagate 500GB SATA II

Win XP Pro SP3
BIOS Harddisk Controller: AHCI (I installed the AHCI driver with floppy disk using F6 on Windows setup)

Setting up a machine with Win XP Pro SP2 CD in IDE mode works fine.
But I am not able to install Win XP Pro with a SATA harddrive.

I used the suggestions of the manual and of the following posting:
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=9575

The last days I tried it with different configurations.
1) I tried SATA ports 0 and 4.
2) I tried different drivers
- ASUS AHCI driver for my mainboard
- Intel driver Version 5.5
- Intel driver Version 7
3) I used always a new created harddisk "test.vdi" with 20GB dynamic growing.

On installation I used F6 and installed the driver with a floppy image created with WinImage.

The result is always the same. Windows setup cannot find a harddisk and therefore cancels installation.

When trying the same harddisk imagefile with IDE the setup finds the harddisk and continues installation.

Do you have any suggestions for me?
Is there anything I forgot?

Thanks in advance.
Oliver Ott
Rochey

Post by Rochey »

I've been trying to do the same.
I've read the sticky about installing winxp and using sata drivers from Intel (intel matrix storage driver). One problem is that the link in the sticky doesn't work anymore so I have had to use the latest located here http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... l&lang=eng
At the F6 I load the floppy and then choose ICH8 E/M SATA AHCI which works as the winXP install finds the harddrive and starts copying the setup files. It then reboots and gives the "windows setup will take 39mins" screen but after a few moments I get a blue screen of death (BSOD) with "kernel_data_inpage_error".

Any one know where we can get the old intel storage matrix driver (the one from the sticky)? or does anyone know how to get past the BSOd?
Cheers
Rochey
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Try http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/Other- ... 12-C.shtml for an older version. It's the one that I used when I installed my XP VM.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Post by vbox4me2 »

Do you have any recommendation from the other sata drivers on that page you are referring to, which one could/would work for w2k?

Edit:
I did find this:
; ** Revision: Version 7.0.0.1001
; ** Date: 04/25/2007
; ** Abstract: Windows* INF File for Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager Driver
ClassGuid={4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
DriverVer=04/25/2007,7.0.1.1001

iaStor_ICH8M = "Intel(R) 82801HEM SATA RAID Controller (Mobile ICH8M-E)"
iaAHCI_ICH8M = "Intel(R) 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH8M-E/M)"

Hopefully I get to try this one out this weekend.
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Post by vbox4me2 »

Got it working for XP sp2/3, windows 2000 workstation and server, now how do I get the drivers and install script available here...... is there a zip attach method?
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Post by vbox4me2 »

A short description.

For windows 2000 workstation and server.
You need 7.0.0.1001 (Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager Driver) and the files:
iaStor.sys
TXTSETUP.OEM
iaAHCI.cat
iaAHCI.inf
iaStor.cat
iaStor.inf

For windows XP.
You need 7.8.0.1012 (Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager Driver) and the files:
iaahci.cat
iaahci.inf
iastor.cat
iastor.inf
iastor.sys
txtsetup.oem

While windows (XP, 2000 workstation and server) is running and SATA support is disabled in VBox
issue these commands in the folder where these above files are:
copy /b/y ia*.* %windir%\system32\drivers
md "C:\SataDrivers"
copy /b/y *.* "C:\SataDrivers"

Shutdown windows,
Change SATA support to enabled in VBox (leave slot as it is),
Start windows,
After booting windows will display a "new hardware found" dialog, select manual search and browse to the folder "C:\SataDrivers",
Select OK and windows will finish the installation,
Done!
OliverO

Post by OliverO »

Hello,

As a preliminary result I got the system working.

I’ve made a mistake on updating VirtualBox last time. So I finally got it to run with
7.8.0.1012 (Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager Driver) and VirtualBox 2.0.6. using an floppy image and F6 on setup.

Anyway there are some open questions for me.
As mentioned above my Win XP Pro host system works with BIOS setting AHCI, not IDE compatibility mode.

The selected SATA port for the now working WIN XP guest system is 0 and the user manual says
VirtualBox User Manual wrote:If you enable the SATA controller, this will be shown as a separate, additional PCI
device to the virtual machine. VirtualBox supports up to 30 SATA slots (numbered 0-29
in the graphical user interface). Of these, the first four (numbered 0-3 in the graphical
user interface) are operated in IDE compatibility mode by default. IDE compatibility
mode means just that the BIOS has access to the drives. Disks assigned to those slots
will operate in full-speed AHCI mode once the guest operating system has loaded its
AHCI device driver.

This now gives you the following categories of virtual hard disk slots:
1. three slots attached to the traditional IDE controller, which are always present
(plus one for the virtual CD-ROM device);
2. slots attached to the new SATA controller, provided that your guest operating
system can see it; these can either be
a) in IDE compatibility mode (by default, slots 0-3) or
b) in SATA mode.
To setup a guest system which is most similar to my host system I need to install my guest system on SATA port 4 or higher.
Do I understand this right?
But on SATA port 4 and higher Win Installer again does not find a harddrive.

Do you have any suggestions for me to get the hard drive found on SATA port 4?

@vbox4me2: Which SATA port is selected after you have finished your XP setup?

Regard
Oliver Ott
skoehler

Post by skoehler »

Rochey wrote:I've been trying to do the same.
I've read the sticky about installing winxp and using sata drivers from Intel (intel matrix storage driver). One problem is that the link in the sticky doesn't work anymore so I have had to use the latest located here http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... l&lang=eng
At the F6 I load the floppy and then choose ICH8 E/M SATA AHCI which works as the winXP install finds the harddrive and starts copying the setup files. It then reboots and gives the "windows setup will take 39mins" screen but after a few moments I get a blue screen of death (BSOD) with "kernel_data_inpage_error".
That's exactly the same problem i got. Maybe we should report that to intel?

On the other hand, this worked for me too:
  • install WinXP using the normal PATA controller
  • shutdown WinXP
  • enable the AHCI controller (but don't switch the harddrive to SATA yet)
  • boot WinXP
  • install Intel's newest Matrix Storage Driver (not manually using the inf-files. Use the executable installer instead)
  • shutdown WinXP
  • switch the harddisk to SATA port 0
  • boot WinXP and deinstall the Matrix Storage driver (only the software is removed, NOT the driver)
The important part is, that the Matrix Storage driver setup will do the necessary changes in the registry, that make WinXP load the driver on boot which avoids the "unaccessible boot device"-blue screen.

So the driver works, but it doesn't work during the setup. Maybe it's a service pack problem? Actually, i used a installation CD with an integrated SP3.

But there's one annoying thing left: Windows always shows the "safely remove hardware" icon in the lower left. Usually, you use that to remove USB sticks. Now it offers me to remove the harddisk. I'd really like to get rid of that icon.
Last edited by skoehler on 1. Dec 2008, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

OliverO wrote:Hello,

As a preliminary result I got the system working.

I’ve made a mistake on updating VirtualBox last time. So I finally got it to run with
7.8.0.1012 (Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager Driver) and VirtualBox 2.0.6. using an floppy image and F6 on setup.

Anyway there are some open questions for me.
As mentioned above my Win XP Pro host system works with BIOS setting AHCI, not IDE compatibility mode.

The selected SATA port for the now working WIN XP guest system is 0 and the user manual says
VirtualBox User Manual wrote:If you enable the SATA controller, this will be shown as a separate, additional PCI
device to the virtual machine. VirtualBox supports up to 30 SATA slots (numbered 0-29
in the graphical user interface). Of these, the first four (numbered 0-3 in the graphical
user interface) are operated in IDE compatibility mode by default. IDE compatibility
mode means just that the BIOS has access to the drives. Disks assigned to those slots
will operate in full-speed AHCI mode once the guest operating system has loaded its
AHCI device driver.

This now gives you the following categories of virtual hard disk slots:
1. three slots attached to the traditional IDE controller, which are always present
(plus one for the virtual CD-ROM device);
2. slots attached to the new SATA controller, provided that your guest operating
system can see it; these can either be
a) in IDE compatibility mode (by default, slots 0-3) or
b) in SATA mode.
To setup a guest system which is most similar to my host system I need to install my guest system on SATA port 4 or higher.
Do I understand this right?
But on SATA port 4 and higher Win Installer again does not find a harddrive.

Do you have any suggestions for me to get the hard drive found on SATA port 4?

@vbox4me2: Which SATA port is selected after you have finished your XP setup?

Regard
Oliver Ott
I noticed that when I added my SATA VDI to a port > 4, it wouldn't boot, because the VM couldn't find it. That was with an already install XP. As for the installation itself of XP, you still need the driver, it can't see the hard disk without it.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.

OliverO

Post by OliverO »

Sasquatch wrote: I noticed that when I added my SATA VDI to a port > 4, it wouldn't boot, because the VM couldn't find it. That was with an already install XP. As for the installation itself of XP, you still need the driver, it can't see the hard disk without it.
Thanks for your answer.

I think my posting was not clear on this point.
For port 4 installation I tried the same steps than before and I used also the same driver versions.

1) New harddisk SATA port 4
2) Win XP Pro SP2 boot Cd
3) F6 with Intel AHCI driver

--> Windows does not find harddrive.
So the same steps which works for port 0 does not work for port 4 and higher.

Regards
Oliver
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Post by vbox4me2 »

This is for a XP/w2k guest only, install xp/w2k in VBox with IDE (SATA turned OFF), after completion follow my instructions, works 100%
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

OliverO wrote:
Sasquatch wrote: I noticed that when I added my SATA VDI to a port > 4, it wouldn't boot, because the VM couldn't find it. That was with an already install XP. As for the installation itself of XP, you still need the driver, it can't see the hard disk without it.
Thanks for your answer.

I think my posting was not clear on this point.
For port 4 installation I tried the same steps than before and I used also the same driver versions.

1) New harddisk SATA port 4
2) Win XP Pro SP2 boot Cd
3) F6 with Intel AHCI driver

--> Windows does not find harddrive.
So the same steps which works for port 0 does not work for port 4 and higher.

Regards
Oliver
That's just my point. The virtual BIOS doesn't see or passes the drive attached to the fourth or higher port. It's only detectable if you have the driver loaded in the OS, which can scan those ports. The text mode of the installer only looks for BIOS drives.

As a test, I just changed my second drive for a VM from SATA port1 (the second port) to port 8. This was with a Linux Guest, but the idea is the same. When I hit F12, for the boot menu, only the Primary Master was a choice. However, after it booted, the second drive was mounted.

miniroot

Re: Win XP cannot detect SATA harddrive

Post by miniroot »

While 7.8.0 has been recommended here and elsewhere, I find it strange that Intel has completely pulled it from their site some weeks ago. I would guess that either they don't want to support it anymore, or it has bugs/security issues.

It would also be nice to consolidate the different SATA threads.

The first entry of http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/User_HOWTOS
points to http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=7115
of which post http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic. ... 2861#42861
at least should be current at the time of writing.

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=9575
has been locked instead of allowing followups and is not as useful as it could be.

The thread describing the real bug is probably
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=7177
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Post by vbox4me2 »

OliverO wrote: @vbox4me2: Which SATA port is selected after you have finished your XP setup?

Regard
Oliver Ott
The default one, I don't change anything there.
As a note, I never install an OS onto sata, only IDE and lateron when the OS is running I switch over to SATA as I have described, always works, no problems, no crashes.