DHCP Decline Windows 10 Guest, macOS Big Sur Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
RetiredGeek

DHCP Decline Windows 10 Guest, macOS Big Sur Host

Post by RetiredGeek »

The first time that I've fired up the Win10 VM since upgrading to macOS Big Sur, and went ahead and upgraded to VirtualBox 6.1.16, along with all of the needed extensions and whatnot.

Using Bridged networking to my Wi-Fi adapter, like I've done for years, but now, my router is showing a "loop" where the DHCP config is being Declined by the guest.

I'm not a deep-down into the weeds networking person, but I can see the following DHCP looping continually.

Each time it loops, the router just picks the next IP address from the pool. Pretty much DHCPDISCOVER, DHCPOFFER, DHCPACK, DHCPDECLINE over and over.

(Sorry for omitting the actual log offered - forum thinks it's a ew-are-ell and won't let me post yet - maybe I can provide sample after this posts)

Any thoughts on why this might have just started happening? Only thing "real new" is Big Sur.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: DHCP Decline Windows 10 Guest, macOS Big Sur Host

Post by scottgus1 »

RetiredGeek wrote:(Sorry for omitting the actual log offered - forum thinks it's a ew-are-ell
Try the Upload Attachment tab. Available from first day first post, no URLs needed. Zip the log file, too. (we don't like third-party links anyway, when the file can be attached with Upload Attachment.)
RetiredGeek wrote:Using Bridged networking to my Wi-Fi adapter, like I've done for years,
Bridged does not always work with Wi-fi, due to the OS drivers for the wi-fi card and the access point firmware.
RetiredGeek wrote:Only thing "real new" is Big Sur.
New OS = new drivers, which may be the cause of the failed Bridged connection.

I have heard that setting a static IP address in the VM can allow connection over Bridged via Wi-fi. Also, to test the Bridged part, try wired Ethernet.
peterbr
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: windows7, windows xp

Post by peterbr »

Finally got to the bottom of this, I had same problem on a MacBook Pro with thunderbolt ports and using an Ethernet adapter on one.
I always used to select en0 or en1 as network port and use bridged in the network setup in VB manager network setup.
This does not work anymore on bigsur, you have to select 'thunderbolt ethernet x' now, where x is the number of the network connection, see 'System Preferences' -> Network in macOS

Peter
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for letting us know your solution, Peter! Should come in handy on other questions I've seen.
Xtophe

Post by Xtophe »

Hi,

Same problem here, on an old MacBook Pro 2013 with ThunderBolt display : problem occurs only with wifi. If I switch bridge port from wifi (Air-Port) to Ethernet, all is working as before (without restarting / rebooting anything).

All is working OK in NAT mode.

I worked for years in bridged mode with earlier MacOS versions, Big Sur changed something.

Christophe.