[SOLVED] Windows 7 freezes on macbook pro 16 2019

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Wozap

Re: Windows 7 freezes on macbook pro 16 2019

Post by Wozap »

scottgus1 wrote:Start the guest from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the guest from within the guest OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the guest with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the guest in the main Virtualbox window's guest list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Attachments
Windows 7 x64 Full-2020-11-01-12-41-22.log.zip
(44.74 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Windows 7 x64 Full-2020-11-01-14-26-06.log.zip
(26.39 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

My primary suspect is the combination of a Retina display with the use of fullscreen and a scale factor. Please try the following:

1. On the macOS host, configure the VirtualBoxVM process to "Open in low resolution": Open a Finder window, navigate to the Applications folder, right-click on VirtualBox, select "Show Package Contents", navigate to Contents > Resources, right-Click on VirtualBoxVM, select "Get Info", and select "Open in low resolution" in the "Get Info" window.

2. In the VM configuration, set Display > Scale Factor to 100%.

3. Start the VM and try using it in a window (normal mode, not fullscreen mode) first.

How does that work out?
Wozap

Post by Wozap »

fth0 wrote:My primary suspect is the combination of a Retina display with the use of fullscreen and a scale factor. Please try the following:

1. On the macOS host, configure the VirtualBoxVM process to "Open in low resolution": Open a Finder window, navigate to the Applications folder, right-click on VirtualBox, select "Show Package Contents", navigate to Contents > Resources, right-Click on VirtualBoxVM, select "Get Info", and select "Open in low resolution" in the "Get Info" window.

2. In the VM configuration, set Display > Scale Factor to 100%.

3. Start the VM and try using it in a window (normal mode, not fullscreen mode) first.

How does that work out?
I checked it now works fine on full screen! How can I thank you?
[solved]
Last edited by Wozap on 7. Dec 2020, 10:06, edited 1 time in total.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Wozap wrote:I checked it now works fine on full screen! How can I thank you?
Thanks for reporting back, and you're welcome! Just edit your initial post and prepend "[Solved] " to the title.