Big Sur Host Issues

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
davnozdu

Re: Big Sur Host Issues

Post by davnozdu »

Yes. I am already add Oracle to trust extension + make full disk access for VBox but problem not resolve
WelshMatt983

Post by WelshMatt983 »

Prosperot wrote:It gives this message:

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.
I upgraded today and getting the exact same problem, tried reinstalling but no joy.
jared_

Post by jared_ »

estamos wrote:
jimstrong wrote:Managed to open VirtualBox, but got the following when starting a virtual machine:-

The virtual machine 'Windows 10 Pro' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).
Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
MachineWrap
Interface:
IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}
1. Uninstall VirtualBox using VirtualBox_uninstall.tool
2. Clean install VirtualBox using VirtualBox.pkg
3. At the end of the install, go to System Preferences, Security and Privacy, and the click the allow button

This should solve your issue .
This worked for me in Big Sur. In the General tab of the Security & Privacy preferences, there will be a button near the bottom (but above the lock icon). You will probably need to unlock the UI with the admin password, and then click the button to see the apps that need attention. A new window will pop up confirming a reboot. Accept the reboot and the changes will be applied when the restart is completed. It's a lousy UX, but it worked.

Unrelated to this exact problem, but turned out to be the next roadblockL: The next step for me was to install the extension pack to allow USB3 for my Windows guest. Then everything worked as expected.
Rockman

Post by Rockman »

Jared!

Thanks so much. Your suggestion fixed my "kernal error" after upgrading to Big Sur. Everything back to normal!!

Jeff
WelshMatt983

Post by WelshMatt983 »

jared_ wrote:
estamos wrote:
jimstrong wrote:Managed to open VirtualBox, but got the following when starting a virtual machine:-

The virtual machine 'Windows 10 Pro' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).
Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
MachineWrap
Interface:
IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}
1. Uninstall VirtualBox using VirtualBox_uninstall.tool
2. Clean install VirtualBox using VirtualBox.pkg
3. At the end of the install, go to System Preferences, Security and Privacy, and the click the allow button

This should solve your issue .
This worked for me in Big Sur. In the General tab of the Security & Privacy preferences, there will be a button near the bottom (but above the lock icon). You will probably need to unlock the UI with the admin password, and then click the button to see the apps that need attention. A new window will pop up confirming a reboot. Accept the reboot and the changes will be applied when the restart is completed. It's a lousy UX, but it worked.

Unrelated to this exact problem, but turned out to be the next roadblockL: The next step for me was to install the extension pack to allow USB3 for my Windows guest. Then everything worked as expected.
Can't seem to find it on mine, I unlock the padlock and above that all as I have is Allow apps downloaded from : App Store or App Store and identified developers
Pleins

Post by Pleins »

Can't seem to find it on mine, I unlock the padlock and above that all as I have is Allow apps downloaded from : App Store or App Store and identified developers
In my case, it appeared after a restart (although the VirtualBox installer does not require it). After clicking the button a second restart is needed. After that, VirtualBox seems to function normally.

HTH
se72

Post by se72 »

Got the same problem, i reinstalled Virtualbox several times but that won't solve the problem.
Last edited by se72 on 14. Nov 2020, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
vbox_tom

Post by vbox_tom »

For me none of the solutions above worked.

But what works (tested twice) is booting to recovery (cmd+R) and enabling all components of sip.

Open Terminal in Recovery and type:

Code: Select all

csrutil clear
reboot
Then uninstall and re-install virtualbox.
If needed go to System Preferences - Privacy - General and accept the extensions.

If someone needs to reset kext completely:
1 Boot into recovery and delete entries in kext database with sqlite3 commands.
2 Reset PRAM. (Disable Firmware Password before - if set)
3 Uninstall and re-install virtualbox

I used to use

csrutil enable --without debug --without fs
If using this combination virtualbox can not load the extensions in macOS Big Sur. No problems in Catalina.

I guess and hope this is still a bug as I would like to continue using my modified sip setup for other reasons.
dcailean

Post by dcailean »

vbox_tom wrote:For me none of the solutions above worked.

But what works (tested twice) is booting to recovery (cmd+R) and enabling all components of sip.

csrutil clear
reboot
If needed go to System Preferences - Privacy - General and accept the extensions.
Thank you, vbox_tom!
The csrutil clear + reinstall + reboot worked like a charm.

My setup is with Big Sur 11.0.1 and VBox 6.1.16 r140961 (Qt5.6.3).
Until trying to reset the csrutil I had reinstalled VBox several times + reboots and watched closely the Security & Privacy to allow any Oracle extension that would appear but without any success.

My extensions were loaded successfully even prior to this, but the VMs would not start.
Here is the list, in case anyone else needs to check it.

sudo kextstat | grep -i virtualbox

Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil showloaded
No variant specified, falling back to release
  187    3 0xffffff7fa156a000 0xb2000    0xb2000    org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv (6.1.16) DAF044F0-5043-3B8E-8758-5A462567BDAA <8 6 5 3 1>
  189    0 0xffffff7fa1647000 0x5000     0x5000     org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB (6.1.16) CA33FA52-5933-3F0E-9B40-8B1ECF4D6A36 <188 187 65 8 6 5 3 1>
  190    0 0xffffff7fa1642000 0x4000     0x4000     org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt (6.1.16) C93EAF6A-676F-3370-BAE2-BDFD2BF16582 <187 8 6 5 3 1>
  191    0 0xffffff7fa163c000 0x2000     0x2000     org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp (6.1.16) 76200407-D2F0-3D84-BCCF-7EEA18F16654 <187 6 5 1>
Again, many thanks.
Cheers!
davnozdu

Post by davnozdu »

Many thanks
Command fix my problem, now VBox work

csrutil clear
reboot
se72

Post by se72 »

davnozdu wrote:Many thanks
Command fix my problem, now VBox work

csrutil clear
reboot
That also worked for me! :)
Mastrox

Post by Mastrox »

csrutil clear
reboot
It worked for me, so really, *REALLY* thank you! :D
RMR

Post by RMR »

I have installed VB successfully on my MacBook Pro running Big Sur, but I can't seem to import VMs (Linux and Windows) from my iMac.
Has anyone else imported VMs to VB on an Apple machine running Big Sur?
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

@RMR,

1. What do you mean by "import"? Hint: Hopefully not by using OVA if they were already installed using VirtualBox on the 'old' Machine.

2. What is your end goal? i.e. Total transfer of the VMs from 'old' to 'new' or to 'duplicate' installs on both computers, which could be a problem for Windows VMs (activation/licensing)
EricMCSE76
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10, Ubuntu 20, Windows 3.1

Post by EricMCSE76 »

csrutil clear
reboot
Worked perfectly here as well - THANK YOU!!!! I did / do have the issue where it's worked flawlessly with bridged networking before, won't work with it now after various attempts. It works just fine with NAT though so a non-issue. Running both a Windows 10 VM and an Ubuntu Linux v20 VM - both with guest additions.

Just a warning that the "fix" (ie the csrutil clear) does also break McAfee (or did for me)... that was resolved with uninstalling it, rebooting, re-installing it. All is working fine.