Big Sur Host Issues

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
estamos

Re: Big Sur Host Issues

Post by estamos »

vlados wrote:I am with the same specifications, VirtualBox installed successful, but cannot start virtual machine
It seems that currently there is not any way to have a VM working at Big Sur.
Hope any guy got this working and tell us some details . .
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Big Sur is a pre-release so far, note the forum you're posting in. It is not finalized, to my knowledge. The devs don't develop to a moving target. When Big Sur is officially released, (and if Apple doesn't jam things up with the EULA) then Virtualbox will eventually run on it. Try the test builds if you wish to see if improvememnts have arrived.
SinghSoorma

Post by SinghSoorma »

macOS BigSur 11.0 Beta (20A5364e) and the virtualbox test builds Version 6.1.13 r140123 (Qt5.6.3) ... still not working... any insights when would this be fixed. Thx.
Daniel_2020

Post by Daniel_2020 »

MacOs Big Sur 11.0 Beta (20A5364e) and VirtualBox test build 6.1.15 r140270 with same problem....I even tried the development version 6.1.97 r140056.. and the same... :( hope it fix soon..
mohan test

Post by mohan test »

Hi,

the problem seems to be a missing driver that won't install

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED

on the internet it asks to install virtual box and give allow access to 'oracle america' which appears on the security and privacy of system preferences ( which i did) then the virtual box was installed properly ( installation of virtual box was successful) , i also installed the extension pack which was also successful but, as soon as i import linux or any os ....and on starting the kali linux it throughs the error

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.

i tried deleting the virtual box and reinstalling it (internet seems to suggest that the same give allow access in system preferences option) the .kext extension got stuck and i was not able to even install virtual box successfully again , i had to erase and install macos again to solve this issue. (i am worried that my laptop is new and expensive and i don't want to break it)

my questions:

1. does kali linux work on macos big sur ?

2. do i need to install any special driver (Kernel driver)

3. as of now i have installed virtual box successfully (by giving allow access in system preferences and restarted by system a couple of times as well), but same issues pops up when i open kali linux.

4.do i need to downgrade to catalina ? because if same issue persists in Catalina as well no point in downgrading.
estamos

Post by estamos »

mohan test wrote:my questions:

3. as of now i have installed virtual box successfully (by giving allow access in system preferences and restarted by system a couple of times as well), but same issues pops up when i open kali linux.

4.do i need to downgrade to catalina ? because if same issue persists in Catalina as well no point in downgrading.
1. Currently any Linux distribution is not supported at VirtualBox at macOS Big Sur. You may install successfully VirtualBox, but VM will not start cause of a driver issue.

2. No, there is not much you can do since it's Apple's and Oracle's job to fix this driver for macOS Big Sur.

3. The best you can do for now is to download the latest test build, latest Command Line Tools for Xcode beta and hope that will work soon or late.

4. That's a solution if you don't want to wait till this issue with driver is fixed. VirtualBox works fine in macOS Catalina, but to be sure search about it before you decide to downgrade to Catalina.
trifster

Post by trifster »

estamos wrote:
mohan test wrote:my questions:

1. Currently any Linux distribution is not supported at VirtualBox at macOS Big Sur. You may install successfully VirtualBox, but VM will not start cause of a driver issue.

2. No, there is not much you can do since it's Apple's and Oracle's job to fix this driver for macOS Big Sur.

3. The best you can do for now is to download the latest test build, latest Command Line Tools for Xcode beta and hope that will work soon or late.

4. That's a solution if you don't want to wait till this issue with driver is fixed. VirtualBox works fine in macOS Catalina, but to be sure search about it before you decide to downgrade to Catalina.
Got tired of waiting. VMware Fusion 12 is released, works on Big Sur and is free for personal use.
aeichner
Oracle Corporation

Post by aeichner »

The latest macOS testbuild from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds has preliminary support for BigSur in case you want to try that out. Feedback is appreciated here: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/19795
erolsk8

Post by erolsk8 »

aeichner wrote:Testbuilds has preliminary support for BigSur in case you want to try that out.
I just tried it with:
* VirtualBox-6.1.15-140568-OSX.dmg
* Command Line Tools for Xcode 12 beta 5, version: 12.0.0.0.1.1597368733

But I still get this:

Code: Select all

Bringing machine 'default' up with 'virtualbox' provider...
==> default: Checking if box 'ubuntu/xenial64' version '20200923.0.0' is up to date...
==> default: A newer version of the box 'ubuntu/xenial64' for provider 'virtualbox' is
==> default: available! You currently have version '20200923.0.0'. The latest is version
==> default: '20200925.0.0'. Run `vagrant box update` to update.
==> default: Clearing any previously set network interfaces...
There was an error while executing `VBoxManage`, a CLI used by Vagrant
for controlling VirtualBox. The command and stderr is shown below.

Command: ["hostonlyif", "create"]

Stderr: 0%...
Progress state: NS_ERROR_FAILURE
VBoxManage: error: Failed to create the host-only adapter
VBoxManage: error: VBoxNetAdpCtl: Error while adding new interface: failed to open /dev/vboxnetctl: No such file or directory
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component HostNetworkInterfaceWrap, interface IHostNetworkInterface
VBoxManage: error: Context: "RTEXITCODE handleCreate(HandlerArg *)" at line 95 of file VBoxManageHostonly.cpp

The only reason I installed macOS 11 is that I don't need to fix my local dev setup when I switch from macOS 10 to 11. And I installed literally everything I needed (apache, php, mysql, phpmyadmin, xdebug, node, yarn, phpstorm...).

Is there some other solution I could try? Or does anyone know how to run vagrant without virtualbox? I can't find that free "vmware fusion for personal use". But I'll have to try it with 30 day free trial, and see what to do then.
Thanks
dbudde

Post by dbudde »

erolsk8 wrote:[I can't find that free "vmware fusion for personal use".
https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/evalce ... r-personal
vpa2

Post by vpa2 »

Mac Big Sur 11.0 Beta (20A5374i)
Virtualbox version: 6.1.14 r140239 (Qt5.6.3)

$ vagrant up
==> vagrant: A new version of Vagrant is available: 2.2.10 (installed version: 2.2.9)!
==> vagrant: To upgrade visit: https://www.vagrantup.com/downloads.html

Bringing machine 'default' up with 'virtualbox' provider...
==> default: Checking if box 'ubuntu/xenial64' version '20180814.0.0' is up to date...
==> default: A newer version of the box 'ubuntu/xenial64' for provider 'virtualbox' is
==> default: available! You currently have version '20180814.0.0'. The latest is version
==> default: '20200925.0.0'. Run `vagrant box update` to update.
==> default: Clearing any previously set network interfaces...
There was an error while executing `VBoxManage`, a CLI used by Vagrant
for controlling VirtualBox. The command and stderr is shown below.

Command: ["hostonlyif", "create"]

Stderr: 0%...
Progress state: NS_ERROR_FAILURE
VBoxManage: error: Failed to create the host-only adapter
VBoxManage: error: VBoxNetAdpCtl: Error while adding new interface: failed to open /dev/vboxnetctl: No such file or directory
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component HostNetworkInterfaceWrap, interface IHostNetworkInterface
VBoxManage: error: Context: "RTEXITCODE handleCreate(HandlerArg *)" at line 95 of file VBoxManageHostonly.cpp

Any idea please? Thanks
amepps

Post by amepps »

OK, I did get it to work on Big Sur (20A5374i) with VirtualBox (6.1.15 r140592). Here's what I had to do:

Boot into Recovery Mode (Command+R) and access Terminal, disable SIP via "csrutil disable"
Before installing the test build of VirtualBox, you have to go into System Preferences, Security & Privacy and unlock it so you can make changes (by clicking the lock icon on the bottom left corner and entering your credentials).

Leave the security & preferences window open

Install VirtualBox and the extension pack.

Go back to the security & privacy preference pane window and you should see something about allowing Oracle, Inc to load a exteion; click allow. Reboot and you should be good to go.
jimstrong

Post by jimstrong »

I've gone through exactly the same process, but I don't see anything about about allowing Oracle, Inc to load an extension and I get an "Installation Failed" message.

I used the same VirtualBox versions and I am also on 11.0 Beta (20A5374i).

Maybe it's the machine - I am on an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
jimstrong

Post by jimstrong »

Managed to open VirtualBox, but got the following when starting a virtual machine:-

The virtual machine 'Windows 10 Pro' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).
Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
MachineWrap
Interface:
IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}
estamos

Post by estamos »

jimstrong wrote:Managed to open VirtualBox, but got the following when starting a virtual machine:-

The virtual machine 'Windows 10 Pro' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).
Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
MachineWrap
Interface:
IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}
1. Uninstall VirtualBox using VirtualBox_uninstall.tool
2. Clean install VirtualBox using VirtualBox.pkg
3. At the end of the install, go to System Preferences, Security and Privacy, and the click the allow button

This should solve your issue .