[Fixed by supplemental update] kernel panic from memory leak on 10.15.6

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
yyc

Re: kernel panic from memory leak on 10.15.6

Post by yyc »

fth0 wrote:Small summary of the current status:

Apple has released a macOS Catalina 10.15.6 Supplemental Update (19G2021) on 2020-08-12, addressing the memory leak. A VMware Fusion lead developer (Darius, involved in filing the bug with Apple) has confirmed the bugfix. My own tests also do not show the memory leak any more.

@iains, @yyc: Can you also confirm the memory leak as solved?

installed the supplemental update two days ago and can confirm that the memory leak is resolved for me on both 2013 imac & 2019 imac. i can again run the same virtual machines as before (windows 10 and/or manjaro 18 guests) in any combination on either machine without the problem manifesting itself.

both machines have been running for just about 48 hours. kalloc.32 has been quiet, and wired memory allocations on the host are once again released as they should after a virtual machine is shut down etc...

no other issues; all looks in order!
iains

Re: kernel panic from memory leak on 10.15.6

Post by iains »

iains wrote:
fth0 wrote:Small summary of the current status:

@iains, @yyc: Can you also confirm the memory leak as solved?
In my queue to check - machines are always busy ;)
Yes, it seems to be fixed ...
.. now if NFS mounts and Remote Desktop could be fixed too, Catalina would look reasonable ;)
Berg

Re: [Fixed by supplemental update] kernel panic from memory leak on 10.15.6

Post by Berg »

On MBPro 13 2018 Installed macOS Catalina 10.15.6 Supplemental Update (19G2021) - virtual memory leak not resolved for me
Idle screen attached. CPU load also always
Attachments
Idle screen
Idle screen
Screenshot 2020-08-26 at 13.04.37.png (112.7 KiB) Viewed 2378 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Berg wrote:virtual memory leak not resolved for me
I don't see any indication of a memory leak in your screenshot. You should probably start your own topic, if you're looking for support.
xbuntugest

Post by xbuntugest »

Berg wrote:virtual memory leak not resolved for me
that's not a memory leak. in fact 'virtual memory size' is not a user-oriented number at all. it reports the size of the workspace the application (in this case, virtualbox) thinks it's inside. it has no bearing on you, or your computer's stability.

here is an analogy.

virtual memory size: "i've been to new york city"
real memory size: "i went to a conference in new york. when the conference was over, i took a taxi to a museum, went out to dinner, then work up early to go to the airport."

as you can see, the real experience visited a very small part of new york, but the virtual memory was that ALL of new york was possible to visit.