going to sound weird....

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
Cheat117

going to sound weird....

Post by Cheat117 »

Has anyone thought of trying to run XBOX original on Virtual Box? just a thought...PM me for responses please, wouldnt want Billy getting upset that people are tinkering with his outdated system that met a too early of a demise in my opinion.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I doubt it would work. I suspect even the oldest XBox needs better graphics hardware than VBox emulates.

Plus, the obvious: VBox emulates a PC, an Xbox is not a PC. The hardware which VBox emulates will no doubt be quite different from what XBox OS and app software was written to expect.
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

Daft polls always tickle me. This is one such. The Xbox architecture is about as far from the standard x86 PC architecture as you can get. In theory a cross architecture approach such as QEMU could be used to emulate XBox, but would you really be interested in a virtual XBox that can do one frame per minute?
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
Cheat117

Post by Cheat117 »

TerryE wrote:Daft polls always tickle me. This is one such. The Xbox architecture is about as far from the standard x86 PC architecture as you can get. In theory a cross architecture approach such as QEMU could be used to emulate XBox, but would you really be interested in a virtual XBox that can do one frame per minute?
OF COURSE WHO WOULDNT WANT TO PLAY HALO FOR 26 HOURS A LEVEL!!!!!
TerryE
Volunteer

Post by TerryE »

Cheat117, do me a favour and read the Forum Posting Guide. Note the stuff about posting in a way that makes it easy for others: e.g. avoid all caps and images in your signature. These just disrupt the flow of the thread too much. Please show courtesy to others.
Cheat117

Post by Cheat117 »

TerryE wrote:Cheat117, do me a favour and read the Forum Posting Guide. Note the stuff about posting in a way that makes it easy for others: e.g. avoid all caps and images in your signature. These just disrupt the flow of the thread too much. Please show courtesy to others.
heh....sorry about that...
Working to Build a Better computer one system at a time.
TerryE
Volunteer

Post by TerryE »

PatrickvL

Not Xbox360 - Xbox 1 !

Post by PatrickvL »

TerryE wrote:Daft polls always tickle me. This is one such. The Xbox architecture is about as far from the standard x86 PC architecture as you can get. In theory a cross architecture approach such as QEMU could be used to emulate XBox, but would you really be interested in a virtual XBox that can do one frame per minute?
The link you gave, points to xbox 360 architecture. I'm thinking the original poster meant Xbox 1 which more-or-less /does/ resemble a PC! (Although the hardware might be difficult to emulate just right, it's still a possibility)

In that light, I think adding Xbox1 hardware emulation to VirtualBox might turn it into a feasible Xbox1 emulator!
TerryE
Volunteer

Post by TerryE »

Patrick, I think that you are missing a point here. Yes as you say, the CPU of the XBox1 is based on an Intel x86 core, but it is also tightly coupled with a custom Graphics Processor, and it would take a lot of work to emulate this virtual machine.
PatrickvL

Post by PatrickvL »

Sure, there's a lot of work involved emulating the Xbox1 hardware (for example, here's a thread that summarises a few aspects).
But even so - using VirtualBox as a starting point would probably be a lot better than building everything from scratch. Or am I'm missing something obvious here?
TerryE
Volunteer

Post by TerryE »

Yes using the VBox architecture as a starting point and configuring your own virtual hardware architecture, but even if you have the correct development skills, I still think that you are looking at over a man-year's worth of development effort. So by all means carry on. I just don't think that you'll get very many volunteers to help!