VirtualBox crashes when deleting the last machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
quizerti

VirtualBox crashes when deleting the last machine

Post by quizerti »

I am experiencing an issue where VirtualBox crashes when I delete the last machine. If I have more than one VM, VB will not crash until I delete the last machine.

After I delete the final VM, VB just closes prematurely. After about 3-4 minutes, the below message box appears:
vb.PNG
vb.PNG (8.38 KiB) Viewed 4371 times
I only started getting this in the previous version (6.1.4), but I thought it might be fixed in 6.1.6 - sadly the problem still remains.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox crashes when deleting the last machine

Post by scottgus1 »

I got the same result except for the 'runtime library' popup error box.

Running 6.1.6, removing all of the guests in the guest list resulted in a uncommanded close of the main Virtualbox window, and a VboxSVC that remained in the Task Manager a lot longer than the usual 10-20 seconds after all Virtualbox processes close.

I did not try this in 6.1.4, this is the first time I have removed all of my guests.

I use the VBOX_USER_HOME environment variable to put this host's Virtualbox config folder in C:\Users\Public. Do you have such a variable set, or is your config folder in the usual place, C:\Users\{you}\.Virtualbox?
quizerti

Post by quizerti »

scottgus1 wrote:I got the same result except for the 'runtime library' popup error box.

Running 6.1.6, removing all of the guests in the guest list resulted in a uncommanded close of the main Virtualbox window, and a VboxSVC that remained in the Task Manager a lot longer than the usual 10-20 seconds after all Virtualbox processes close.

I did not try this in 6.1.4, this is the first time I have removed all of my guests.

I use the VBOX_USER_HOME environment variable to put this host's Virtualbox config folder in C:\Users\Public. Do you have such a variable set, or is your config folder in the usual place, C:\Users\{you}\.Virtualbox?
At least now I know it's not just me getting this problem! My VB config is default and I haven't changed any variables from default - in fact, I don't know how to! But yes, what seems to be config files are in C:\Users\Username\.VirtualBox

I tried to uninstall VirtualBox with Revo Uninstaller, however when I reinstalled VB my notifications (when you change to full screen, etc) were as they were before - so on that basis I am assuming it wasn't a clean uninstall. I did check folders after uninstallation, but not the registry.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Yes, Virtualbox leaves the .Virtualbox folder and all guests behind, to make it easy to up- or downgrade.

It is possible to reset the main Virtualbox window while keeping your guests by rebooting the host so no Virtualbox processes are running, then move the .Virtualbox folder to another location. When Virtualbox restarts it will make a new .Virtualbox folder, with all settings reset, and you can use the Machine menu, Add command to find and re-register the guests' .vbox files. File menu, Preferences changes need to be reset.

Here is the Bugtracker ticket: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/19525
quizerti

Post by quizerti »

scottgus1 wrote:Yes, Virtualbox leaves the .Virtualbox folder and all guests behind, to make it easy to up- or downgrade.

It is possible to reset the main Virtualbox window while keeping your guests by rebooting the host so no Virtualbox processes are running, then move the .Virtualbox folder to another location. When Virtualbox restarts it will make a new .Virtualbox folder, with all settings reset, and you can use the Machine menu, Add command to find and re-register the guests' .vbox files. File menu, Preferences changes need to be reset.

Here is the Bugtracker ticket: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/19525
Have done a clean uninstall now, deleting the folders from the user folder - this time everything was reset, which is what I wanted so I knew I had a clean reinstall. But still the error persists. I will keep an eye on that ticket, thanks.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

My ticket is a duplicate, here's the original" https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/19397

A fix is on the way, say the devs.
quizerti

Post by quizerti »

Tested with the current test build 6.1.x revision 137622 and the problem still exists.

I shall keep checking with newer test builds as they are released.