Centos Installation Fails with CD Check Failed on all ISOs

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
k3v1n

Centos Installation Fails with CD Check Failed on all ISOs

Post by k3v1n »

(mod edit: Quite a few folks running Windows 10 hosts have reported inability to read from an ISO while installing a guest OS, or the guest OS unable to successfully update due to bad hashes. Anecdotal evidence from zipped & posted guest vbox.logs suggests that Hyper-V may be enabled on the Windows 10 host. Turning off Hyper-V enables successful installing and updating of previously-affected guests.

Look for these lines in the guest vbox.log:

{timestamp} HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
{timestamp} NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...

VT-x may be called AMD-V in the log, for AMD hosts.

If these lines are present, Hyper-V is enabled. See I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests posts 2 & 3, and HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).)

Original post:

Hello Guys,

pretty new here but been using virtualbox with almost no issues.

been trying to the install centos 8 for the past week but i get CD Check Failed every single time.

I've downloaded from 15 different mirrors and i've tried the stream and live dvd.

I've then tried installing centos 7 and 6 using minimalist, live dvd from at least 10 different mirrors and every install failed.

i've tried so many different solution of reinstalling virtualbox over and over and over again and still same.

i'm at wits end to try and figure this out and would appreciate some help.
Last edited by scottgus1 on 14. Aug 2020, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added summary of issue & fix links
k3v1n

Re: Centos Installation Fails with CD Check Failed on all ISOs

Post by k3v1n »

Screenshot of the error
Attachments
CD Check Fail
CD Check Fail
Centos CD Check failed(1).jpg (119.38 KiB) Viewed 10870 times
k3v1n

Post by k3v1n »

also another note, i've deleted and re-created the VMs like 15 times.

clean delete all file and create fresh vm everytime i test the iso.
k3v1n

Post by k3v1n »

VM Details
Attachments
VM Settings
VM Settings
VM Settings.png (118.55 KiB) Viewed 10870 times
k3v1n

Post by k3v1n »

also, another note. if i choose install without verify, the install always fail at various locations. the UI to install including choosing all the different settings like timezone, and then even to the setting root password. but it fails halfway usually at installing kernel core
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Sounds like your ISOs are being created wrong at source. I'm pretty certain we'd know if VirtualBox had a general problem reading ISOs.
k3v1n

Post by k3v1n »

i'm downloading it from the official centos site.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I don't think that observation negates anything I said.

One thing, it strikes me that I don't really know what you mean by "CD check". I've assumed it's a pre-install check performed by the CentOS installer. Can it give more details on the nature of the failure?

Have you asked this question on a CentOS support site? ISTM that would be more appropriate. If you were installing on a Dell I don't think you'd get much joy asking Dell about this.
k3v1n

Post by k3v1n »

i'm downloading the iso from the official centos site and then adding them under the optical disc option.

i've asked in a few forums but no reply as of yet.

i just tried the same iso after installing workstation and it works!

is there a way to cleanly remove virtualbox and re-installing it completely from scratch? usually i just remove it and then after restart delete the folder in program files.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Googling:

centos dracut fatal cd check failed

leads to a few links showing this happens on real PCs too.
https://forums.centos.org/viewtopic.php?t=58167
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1003171 <- CentOS is downstream from RedHat, apparently

While a glitch in your Virtualbox could cause your ISO to not read well, generally a failure in the guest OS while the guest is still running should be troubleshot inside the guest OS. I think your screenshot mentions some things to check.

As a test, download and install a different OS ISO: Windows, Ubuntu, etc. See if you can get a good install.

In accord with Mpack's thoughts. the Virtualbox forum has not blown up with tons of reports of ISO installs failing. So this is likely something wrong on your particular PC. Unfortunately we probably are not going to be able to guess what the problem is, as it is unusual.

Virtualbox is installed via Microsoft's MSI installer system. Virtualbox has no "clean uninstaller" as such that I know of. Although I have not had issues uninstalling and reinstalling Virtualbox, I would guess that any tutorial on cleaning out an MSI installed program's leftovers should work for Virtualbox post-uninstall. Also see https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch10. ... configdata "Where Oracle VM VirtualBox Stores its Files".
k3v1n

Post by k3v1n »

thanks for the help Scott.

i've actually went through both those links. kinda exhausted my googling hence why i decided to post on forum.

i've tested it on my enterprise esx and the same iso works perfectly fine and centos8 installs with absolutely no issues.

a colleague of mine tested on his windows based laptop using the latest virtualbox and it works too.

it seems the problem is only on my machine. is there any logs i can get to try and troubleshoot this?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Sounds like a very strange and unique problem.... The only logs I could think of are the guest's vbox.log, the guest's .vbox file, and the vboxsvc.log, in C:\Users\[you]\.Virtualbox <- note the . in the folder name.

Before posting logs, though:

Did you try a different source's ISO?

Also try logging into a different account. Virtualbox should not show any guests on that account. Try the CentOS and another Linux or Windows ISO.
k3v1n

Post by k3v1n »

okay will check the logs and yes its definitely my install. its really strange where just about a week ago i created a vm with no issues. not sure what changed..

yup tried multiple different ISOs but nothing worked..
joaoreis

Post by joaoreis »

k3v1n wrote:okay will check the logs and yes its definitely my install. its really strange where just about a week ago i created a vm with no issues. not sure what changed..

yup tried multiple different ISOs but nothing worked..
Hi k3v1n, I am having the same problem but I've tried two CentOS 8, one CentOS7 and even an Ubuntu 18.04 - there seems to be some kind of problem with I/O but not only the ISOS : i have migrated several CentOS machines from another PC and none starts (only two Ubuntus) - plus: I've tried to install docker compose and it also failed.

I have a question for you: do you happen to have a Windows Insider machine? Mine is Windows 10 Home version 2004. I never had problems before changing to insider, which I did because I wanted to try WSL2...
mjcameron

Post by mjcameron »

This is not unique to you. I just tried installing Cent OS using Virtual Box and got the same error. Will investigate tomorrow but ISO file checksums are fine so the images should not be the problem.