My Win 3.11 FW VM hangs - "Enable VT-x/AMD-V" checkbox disappear in new virtualbox 6.1

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
UnAntonien

My Win 3.11 FW VM hangs - "Enable VT-x/AMD-V" checkbox disappear in new virtualbox 6.1

Post by UnAntonien »

Hello,

On my old computer Win7 32 bits intel quad core with a (not so) old virtualbox version, i was able to install, tune, and run Windows 3.11 for workgroup (i have DOS, i type "win" and everything fine), mainly by following this good link : https://hendroff.wordpress.com/2018/05/ ... oups-3-11/

Now on my new computer Win10 64 bits AMD Ryzen 3700, and with a newer VirtualBox (6.1), when i launch this VM, i have DOS, i type win, and then it hangs like described in the step "Attempting to run Windows will result in WfW hanging" in the tutorial mentionned above.
In this tuturial it's written
"To overcome this, we apply the same trick used to get Windows 95 working in a VirtualBox VM. Exit the WfW VM. Under the WfW settings for the VM: Settings > System > Acceleration > uncheck Enable VT-x/AMD-V > OK."
https://hendroff.files.wordpress.com/20 ... ot-122.png Image
Except that this checkbox seems to have disappeared in the new virtualbox 6.1.. (only nested paging is there)
And if i check the summary, on this VM, it's written in "Acceleration" that i have the VT-x/AMD-V, which seems no to be what is desired in the "trick" described.
Is this a well known change in virtualbox, not to allow anymore this mode ? Which would mean not to allow Windows versions < 98 ?
Solution is only to get an older virtualbox ?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: My Win 3.11 FW VM hangs - "Enable VT-x/AMD-V" checkbox disappear in new virtualbox 6.1

Post by mpack »

Again with the unfiltered third party misinformation.

It was never necessary to uncheck VT-x to get Win95 to work, so I won't dig into the rest of that nonsense. If you have a link to an authority I recognize, e.g. the user manual or a tutorial on this site, then I'll be happy to look into it.

Meanwhile, here is a screenshot of Windows 3.1 running perfectly happily on my Win10 host under Virtual 6.1.4, with VT-x enabled.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (89.4 KiB) Viewed 2688 times
UnAntonien

Re: My Win 3.11 FW VM hangs - "Enable VT-x/AMD-V" checkbox disappear in new virtualbox 6.1

Post by UnAntonien »

Hello,
I find this answer a bit rude and does not help me a lot.
Except to know that at least in your configuration, Win 3.1 is OK even with VT-x enabled.
Thank you for this information, i don't know if it will help me.
And the tutorial i mention seems serious.

I see a difference between the example you show me and my situation : my Windows 3.11 FW has network enabled, is it the case in your Windows 3.1 example ? I don't see a network window.
If you read the steps in the tutorial i mention, you will see that the "Attempting to run Windows will result in WfW hanging" mention appears after network install, whereas after the previous cdrom install + reboot, and after the previous sound install + reboot, this mention was not there yet. So it seems to be linked with the network install.
What may be the cause after reading at some "third parties" and extrapolating (oh @mpack surely love this word, especialy when used after "third parties" word ;-) ): having VT-x/AMD-V set could do that you are more dependent, more close to, some aspects of the host CPU (hidden when not enabled in virtualbox 5.2). (I may have already experienced this effect on my Win98 VM with the SciTech driver : i needed to change --cpu-profile see viewtopic.php?p=473205#p473205)
And so, could explain a situation close to this one : https://www.experts-exchange.com/questi ... 1-GHz.html (which, on Win98, is solved if you have ndis.vxd version >= 4.10.0.2000)
which is about NDIS = a network driver..
(i add this one, because some will prefer microsoft in the URL : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 4592f5d89b )

In particular to @mpack, as he probably "won't dig..." i ask just a simple question : why this checkbox has disappear ?
Not sure it will help for my problem, but i am curious.

(@mpack BTW about the Win98 Scitech Display driver problem, as written in the corresponding thread viewtopic.php?p=473205#p473205 & viewtopic.php?p=473185#p473185, i digged and found the solution via a "third party" video)
Last edited by UnAntonien on 6. Apr 2020, 11:26, edited 2 times in total.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

This has already been discussed at some length in this forum. The problem is that you are using VirtualBox 6.1, which requires hardware virtualization (VT-x/AMD-V) to be enabled in the BIOS and available to VirtualBox. The option to fall back to emulation mode is no longer supported. The checkbox you talk about has been removed in 6.1 because it no longer has any purpose. That option is no longer available.

In your situation, I would fall back to version 6.0 if WfW is important to you.
Bill
UnAntonien

Post by UnAntonien »

@BillG : indeed, as i also expected, a fall back to VirtualBox 6.0.18 + unset "VT-x/AMD-V" for my Win3.11 FW VM => i can launch it.
I think that for the time being i will keep this VirtualBox 6.0.18