Discussion: The Forum Posting Guide

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Discussion: The Forum Posting Guide

Post by scottgus1 »

You can post and attach screenshots and text files and zips using the Upload Attachment tab under where you type posts. You just can't have web links in your post for the first day (keeps spammers at bay).
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Your posting here shows you have entered the forums, and yes you can not post url's in your topic for a day due to security against bots. You really should not need to anyway. There is an attachment link at the bottom of your posting window where you can provide logs, Etc..
Tyrub

Post by Tyrub »

Thanks .. I see my issue .... invalid text in description .... thank you.
Hugo_Pt

Post by Hugo_Pt »

Help me, please! I'm trying to post my first thread but I keep getting same error, even though I don't have absolutely no urls in text and in Subject: You must be a member for 1 days and have 1 posts before you can post urls. I then tried to send a PM to moderators reporting this preclusion and I get similar error: You must be a member for 5 days and have 5 posts before you can post urls in Private Messages.
I'm glad that I could post this same post you're reading, I thought I couldn't do it! Now I'll just have to wait 1 day to finally post my thread, which took me several hours to write!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Hugo_Pt wrote:even though I don't have absolutely no urls in text
There must be something there that prevents your text from being getting through the filter. Could you copy the "offending" text in a text file and attach it? If you can't get with a .txt extension, zip it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Hugo_Pt

Post by Hugo_Pt »

ok, thank you for replying! I attached both the PM I tried to send to Perryg (and to the moderators) and the new thread message, I couldn't send or post neither of them because of this impenetrable and absurd error!
Attachments
Post a new topic.txt
(3.32 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
PM to Perryg.txt
(579 Bytes) Downloaded 68 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I believe it's the "I checked virtualbox.org website" reference that got the filter going. Funny thing? You didn't even need that...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Hugo_Pt

Post by Hugo_Pt »

I can't post this here now (check attachment text)! I get same error!
You're right, I totally missed that! I must be tired, I even skipped dinner because of this and it is 03:30 AM at my location! But what about the PM to Perryg text? What could possibly be the url there which triggered the filter? That's totally impenetrable and obscure!
[Mod edit: deleted .txt attachment, added text directly]
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

It's OK, it's 05:30 where I am ;)
I vaguely remember the you can't have the word "URL" in the text. You could have "U R L". But, I could be wrong...
Hugo_Pt

Post by Hugo_Pt »

:idea: I figured that out seconds before you post it! It must be it! "UR*" (I typed this replacing * by L just to see if I could post it)! Mystery solved.
vitaly9
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Debian 9, Windows 7

Post by vitaly9 »

I had registered on this board in 2014 and now return back from Parallels...
Cannot change my password and cannot find how to proceed this in User Control Panel...
Please suggest
Thank you
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

You login is managed through the Oracle Single Sign on system. I would expect that if you logout then click login again when it takes you to the SSO page you can manage your password from there.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
PaoloBarone
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows 7 Home Premium

Post by PaoloBarone »

I'm having trouble posting my first post. When I click "submit", the system displays the post window again, and it doesn't submit my ppost.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

@PaoloBarone, there should be a message in red at the top of your failed post. What does it say?
PaoloBarone
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows 7 Home Premium

I can't post

Post by PaoloBarone »

Hi,
I'm trying to post in the "VirtualBox on Windows Hosts" forum. When I click the "submit" button, it reloads the page, says, "Please read the Forum Posting Guide before you post. These guidelines and rules help the VirtualBox community to make the most of this forum, and help avoid unnecessary repetition of questions which have previously been asked and answered
You must be a member for 1 days and have 1 posts before you can post urls.", shows the post I typed in a text box, and shows the "submit" button at the bottom. I can't host. I didn't type any URLs in my post.