DumbHead101 question

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
duuh!

DumbHead101 question

Post by duuh! »

New to Linux (W-7 convert) and totally dumb on VirtualBox. Have Linux Mint 19.3 on computer and have a need to run only ONE Windows .exe program on it for movie files. So W-7 ultimate would be the Guest.
I KNOW this is a really dumb question but I have not been able to recognize the <how to> process of loading the Windows-.exe program onto the Guest. Is there a process or does it just happen?!? :?
Thanks much..
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: DumbHead101 question

Post by scottgus1 »

You need the installer disc for Windows 7, since Virtualbox doesn't come with any operating systems.

See the manual, section 1, it explains how to set up a working guest.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, by the way. We'll be happy to help.

Edit: reading you post again, it seems you may be trying to install the movie program in the guest. In this case you will either need a network into the guest, or Guest Additions in the guest.

Install Guest Additions by going to the running guest's Devices menu, then choose Insert Guest Additions CD Image. The Guest Additions "CD" will appear in the guest's CD drive. If it doesn't autorun, run the guest Additions .exe.

Then you can use Guest Additions Shared Folders to get data between the guest and host. See the manual, section 4.3
duuh!

Post by duuh! »

Thanks Scott. I believe I did have the Guest editions properly installed on the Windows7 Ultimate (as Guest) but suffered a 'Error#0x80092.ee9' virus on Firefox operating within Host (Linux Mint) locking it up. I had been researching the VB information when it happened. Used Timeshift for earlier Linux system that did not have the VB on it and starting again. The VB manual is daunting to someone with zero experience on it and no one next to me to 'splain it! Decided to be sure the WIndows version of the .exe movie program will actually run on the VB (Guest) W-7 before I waste any more time fooling with it.
Thanks a million
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

FWIW, if you're going to be editing or transcoding movies, you really might want to consider dual-boot rather than virtual machine. The video card, for one thing will not be strong enough, because it's virtual.
duuh!

Post by duuh! »

Not on this computer just a video file program. Good to know, thanks