Version 6 creating System Volume Information folder on desktop (#18189)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Kizmar

Version 6 creating System Volume Information folder on desktop (#18189)

Post by Kizmar »

ModEdit; related ticket: #18189: VirtualBox created "System Volume Information" folder in all Shared Folders on Host on Version 6.0 RC1
I just updated to VirtualBox 6.0.4. Since then; every time I start a VM, a "System Volume Information" folder is created on the desktop. How do I stop this from happening?
Last edited by socratis on 20. Jul 2019, 01:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Version 6 creating System Volume Information folder on desktop

Post by mpack »

VirtualBox has no influence over that. That's a function of your guest OS, or perhaps a virtual volume mounting tool on the host.
Kizmar

Post by Kizmar »

It's curious that this started when I installed version 6. I'll keep digging I guess.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Just to clarify a point of confusion: are you talking about the host or the guest desktop? I assumed you meant the guest desktop, but then I noticed that you posted the question in a host discussion forum.

Thought: is this problem on the host, and have you perhaps been experimenting with the virtual ISO feature, or including your host's desktop as a shared folder?

As the name implies, Windows only creates "System Volume Information" folders on volumes, i.e. partitions and removable drives. Not in folders such as your desktop folder or any other. It would have to believe that the folder was a drive/volume somehow.
Kizmar

Post by Kizmar »

The folder is being created on my host desktop.

Now that you mention it: I do have shared folders to the host desktop and host downloads folder. Both of which have the "System Volume Information" being created.

I had these same shared folders in version 5 and wasn't getting the "System Volume Information" folders, so I'd assume there's something different with version 6 that is creating these? Either way... I guess I need to un-share those folders if I want it to stop creating the "System Volume Information" folders?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Kizmar wrote: I had these same shared folders in version 5 and wasn't getting the "System Volume Information" folders, so I'd assume there's something different with version 6 that is creating these?
As I mentioned earlier, VirtualBox has no influence on what files or folders a guest OS creates for itself. VirtualBox works at a hardware level. It seems that for some reason your guest OS has decided to treat shared folders as volumes. Did you perhaps map the shared folder to a drive letter?

I'm not aware of any recent change in VirtualBox regarding the implementation of GA shared folders. In fact I just checked with VirtualBox v6.0.4, including updated GAs (Win7-64bit guest), accessing a GA shared folder did not create a System Volume Information folder in the shared folder.

Incidentally: system files and folders such as System Volume Information are hidden by default on Windows Hosts. The "change" could simply be that you recently turned on the host shell feature to make these files visible.
Kizmar

Post by Kizmar »

I didn't knowingly change anything related to "host shell features", as I have no idea what that is. I also didn't assign drive letters to the shared folders. All I did (long ago) was add them as shared folders in the settings. They are set up as machine folders, full access, auto mount - maybe that assigns drive letters? But again, these were set up long ago and this issue didn't start until today after I installed version 6.

This is what I know: this morning I started with version 5 and no "System Volume Information" folders. Then I installed version 6, and suddenly was seeing "System Volume Information" folders. Nothing else on my computer changed that I am aware of.

At any rate... I understand that VirtualBox isn't taking credit for these folders, so I'll figure out a fix myself.
olsman037

Post by olsman037 »

Hi

I have the same problem, with a Linux host and windows guest. Since version 6, my virtual machine creates a system volume information in the host OS for all my shared folders. And we can't hide them...
If you find a solution, please share!

Olsman
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Make the shared folder read-only. Or don't map it to a letter.

That's not VirtualBox, that's Microsoft that's creating a "System Volume Information" folder on every Volume. And since your share *is* a Volume in the eyes of the guest, then you get the honor of having that. Even on every USB stick that you put on a Win computer, you're gonna get that.

Small price to pay, don't you think? ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
sparky672

Post by sparky672 »

I'm going to jump in here to backup the OP's observations. We're not alone as somebody also filed a bug report ticket #18189, which received a somewhat defensive, and not very helpful, response by Oracle. Seriously, would it kill somebody over there to kindly explain why this is only an issue in version 6, instead of just telling us "it's Window's fault"?

Prior to version 6, I never once saw a "System Volume Information" folder show up on the Host machine.

I am running Windows 10 as a Guest on Mac OS High Sierra as the Host. I have one shared folder, set to "Full" access and "Auto Mount". This folder suddenly appeared only after upgrading VirtualBox to version 6.
Make the shared folder read-only. Or don't map it to a letter.
Again, as the others have stated, no settings have been changed. The only change was the upgrade of VirtualBox from 5 to 6. That being said, please don't get defensive. I don't think any of us is blaming VirtualBox for the creation of this folder. Obviously the "System Volume Information" folder is part of Windows. However, again, something certainly must have been changed within VirtualBox that now is allowing Windows to create this folder where it never did this under VirtualBox version 5.

It's my understanding that, by default, this folder is supposed to be set to "hidden" by Windows. It is not. Why? When inspecting this folder from within Windows 10, checking the "hidden" option has no effect and will not stick. Click "apply" on "hidden" and go back into Properties... it's not set to hidden.

Setting it to "read only" makes no sense. Then the "shared" folder is not really as useful as it was before.

Don't map it to a letter? How? Windows automatically assigns letter Z: to this shared folder, which it views as a network drive. Since obvioously VirtualBox is facilitating this Host folder as a Network drive, maybe part of the problem is somewhere in this process? I don't know... again, this was never an issue under version 5.

A workaround under Mac Hosts would be to make the "System Volume Information" folder invisible on the Mac side. It's still showing up on the Windows side despite the fact that Windows is always supposed to make these folders hidden. Yes, I have Windows set to NOT show hidden folders. Maybe a Windows expert can explain this and provide a solution or workaround?

Since the OP posted this in the wrong place... should have been Windows "Guest" instead of "Host", would it be too much trouble for the forum moderator to move this thread where it belongs? Thank you.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

sparky672 wrote:ticket #18189, which received a somewhat defensive, and not very helpful, response by Oracle
I was the one that replied to that ticket, and I'm not Oracle. ;)

The defensive first part of the response was because the OP was filing a ticket for a VirtualBox pre-release, something that's specifically spelled as a "don't do". The second part of the reply, was a repeat of my previous message here, which is neither offensive or defensive, it's simply the facts, plain and simple.
sparky672 wrote:Prior to version 6, I never once saw a "System Volume Information" folder show up on the Host machine.
That's because maybe it was a bug? A bug which was addressed with version 6.0.0, i.e. this is what should be happening in real life as well, not just the virtualization part. Just stick a read-write stick in your Mac and tell me what you see; exFAT is supported by OSX as read-write, NTFS are read-only unless you're using OSXFUSE with NTFS-3G.
sparky672 wrote:I am running Windows 10 as a Guest
And that's where you'll see the "System Volume Information" folder created. You won't see it with a Win7 guest for example. At least I haven't been able to.
sparky672 wrote:Again, as the others have stated, no settings have been changed.
This is not a matter of settings, this is a matter of how Windows behaves by default. Talk to Microsoft about that.
sparky672 wrote:this folder is supposed to be set to "hidden" by Windows. It is not.
Some attributes do not transfer across filesystems. In HFS+ or APFS you don't have the same attributes as in an NTFS or an ext3/4 filesystem, for example.
sparky672 wrote:Don't map it to a letter? How? Windows automatically assigns letter Z: to this shared folder, which it views as a network drive
No it doesn't. The default shared folder is not set to "automount". If you automount it, you get a letter assigned. If you don't you can find the shared folder in Network » \\VBoxSvr\ShareName. You won't get a System Volume Information like that, because there's no "Volume" involved...
sparky672 wrote:should have been Windows "Guest" instead of "Host", would it be too much trouble for the forum moderator to move this thread where it belongs?
Not at all, should have done it long ago, thank you!
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
sparky672

Re: Version 6 creating System Volume Information folder on desktop (#18189)

Post by sparky672 »

That's because maybe it was a bug? A bug which was addressed with version 6.0.0, i.e. this is what should be happening in real life as well, not just the virtualization part.
ok, thank you.
The default shared folder is not set to "automount". If you automount it, you get a letter assigned. If you don't you can find the shared folder in Network » \\VBoxSvr\ShareName. You won't get a System Volume Information like that, because there's no "Volume" involved...
ok, thank you.

The detailed explanation is appreciated.
TJ-M
Primary OS: PCLinuxOS
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Mainly Linux

Post by TJ-M »

I was surprised by the new behaviour too and the following is just an observation; speaking as I find.

The solution - for me - is to use the cmd "services.msc" and disable "Windows Search".

---
But I wanted to know if I was mis-remembering, so...

I have a laptop dual booting the same Linux distro and kernel 4.19.86. My daily OS already has VBox 6.0.14 installed.

Installed VBox 5.2.22 (virgin - not a VBox update) on the other OS.

---
Created a brand new Windows virtual machine in 5.2.22 and installed Guest Additions. Tried to force things by saving a new text file to one of the shared folders.
A System Volume Information (SVI) folder was not created on any of the three shared folders (ntfs x1 and exfat x2).

For me, normal VBox behaviour since around June 2014.

---
Using my daily OS with VBox 6.0.14, opened a copy of the same new vm from above, still with the same shared folders, and:

- ignored the prompt to update Guest Additions.
Tried - several times - to force things but the SVI folders were not created on any of the three shared folders.

- installed GAs 6.0.14 and, after the usual restart, the SVI folders were immediately created on all three shared folders.
Shutdown the vm > deleted the SVI folders > restarted the vm > instant SVI folders.

For me, different VBox behaviour.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

TJ-M wrote:For me, different VBox behaviour.
For you, and for everyone else actually. It's called:
They fixed a bug in the previous version (pre-6.0.0), this is normal behavior.