Something about the network

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
zhangfx

Something about the network

Post by zhangfx »

I think it is very nice if virtualbox's network can work like vmware in windows. I found vmware's NAT network use virtual NIC, and then use nat service to internat, and it is good, because I can use only one NIC in my guest os to internat and to my host os, but In virtualbox, I should use to NIC to get internat and to my host os. Because my english is pool, I don't know how to describe this suggestion. I wish you can understand. Thanks for a lot
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Something about the network

Post by socratis »

Please read the following chapter from the User Manual, Introduction to networking modes, including the Overview table, which shows quickly what kind of connection is required to achieve what you want.

And remember, you can always have more than one network card in your guest to cover multiple scenarios.

If you want help with your English, see:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
zhangfx

Post by zhangfx »

Thanks for reply,I know the doc you offered,but In think you may misunderstand. Like mode Bridged, I can vm1 -> vm2 and host -> vm and vm ->host don't need port forword. The wmware use a virtual network adapter in my windows host, like virtualBox hostonly adapter but the vmware use a NAT service to translate the virtual adapter's private ip to public address, it's similar to Bridge the virtual adapter, and you can talk to your vm use private ip (ie 192.168.56.100). I think it's useful. Hope you can understand. Thanks. :roll:
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Sounds like zhangfx wants a NAT-style channel on Host-Only so internet can come through Host-Only. Perhaps so internet and host-guest are open when Bridged won't work?
zhangfx wrote:I can use only one NIC in my guest os
Why can you have only one NIC in your guest?
zhangfx

Post by zhangfx »

In linux I can use iptables to nat the host-only interface to the internet but in windows I have no idea. I think one NIC can leave me away from something unknown, two NIC I have to profile my network connection, like route etc...
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

zhangfx wrote:In linux I can use iptables to nat the host-only interface to the internet but in windows I have no idea
This sounds like a question for Google.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

zhangfx wrote:think you may misunderstand
zhangfx wrote:like vmware ... I found vmware's ... The wmware use ... but the vmware
No, I think that you misunderstand. I've never used VMware, nor I plan to. I don't know what it does/doesn't do, I only know and understand what VirtualBox does/doesn't do. So, please don't tell me what VMware does, and tell me what you want to do.

Draw the networking setup that you want and let's try and figure it out.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
zhangfx

Post by zhangfx »

I'm sorry. I wish virtualbox can have a network adapter in windows and the vm's network interface can be bridged based on this adapter and a NAT service can translate the private address to public address. Like in linux, I can use brctl to create a bridge, and vm can use this bridge and use iptable NAT rules to the internet. So I can communicate to my vm in host and vm <-> vm and vm to internet.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

zhangfx wrote:So I can communicate to my vm in host and vm <-> vm and vm to internet.
Is that your goal? Use Bridged mode. The VMs are in the same LAN as the Host, and the VMs get Internet access, and there is Host<->VMs and VM<->VM connectivity.

I gave you a small chapter to read, did you?
socratis wrote:read the following chapter from the User Manual, Introduction to networking modes, including the Overview table, which shows quickly what kind of connection is required to achieve what you want.

And remember, you can always have more than one network card in your guest to cover multiple scenarios.
zhangfx

Post by zhangfx »

Sometimes the network may need auth to get to the internet. Thanks for helping me. I wil resolve this in another way. Thanks a lot.
zhangfx

Post by zhangfx »

The advice I made is based on the doc, I think it can do something to make it more friendly to user.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

zhangfx wrote:The advice I made is based on the doc
Which "doc"?
zhangfx wrote:Sometimes the network may need auth to get to the internet.
Bridged should allow this. So would NAT or NATnetwork.

If you are trying to Bridge over Wi-Fi, then you may run into troubles. An alternate way to get the VM to see the internet when Bridged won't connect is needed. NAT will almost always work, if everything is installed properly.

It may help if you use whatever language you are most familiar with, and we'll try a translation website.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I believe the OP needs to use "NAT network". AIUI this mode was specifically intended for people coming from VMWare and expecting the NAT feature in VirtualBox to behave identically to a feature called NAT in VMWare.

Just because two independant applications have a feature with the same name, it doesn't mean it's the same feature. The developers in each team will invent terminology that suits them. There is no requirement for them to agree a terminology for the benefit of people migrating, to the detriment of "native" users of that feature.