wheel scroll does not work in virtualbox (windows guest) after buster upgrade

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
robertwork

wheel scroll does not work in virtualbox (windows guest) after buster upgrade

Post by robertwork »

After upgrading to the recently released Debian buster, wheel scrolling stopped working in only VirtualBox.

VirtualBox runs via the virtualbox-5.2 package from http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian.

I tried enabling and disabling mouse integration. Didn't help. Also tried reinstalling the mouse driver on the Windows 10 guest. Also didn't help. Also tried reinstalling addon extensions. Also didn't help.

My host actually has a touchpad, scrolling via two-finger scroll. It works fine everywhere except in VirtualBox.

If there's a package I should downgrade to get this to work, I will certainly do that. I just don't which package downgrade would help.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: wheel scroll does not work in virtualbox (windows guest) after buster upgrade

Post by socratis »

Can you try with an actual USB mouse, that has an actual ScrollWheel? Not the fake two-finger-trackpad one? Maybe there's an issue with the trackpad driver that you might have to investigate further.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
sjvs

Re: wheel scroll does not work in virtualbox (windows guest) after buster upgrade

Post by sjvs »

I think I might have the same issue:
  • Scrolling with both normal mouse and touchpad (two-finger scrolling, Dell Precision 5520) works fine on my VirtualBox host (Ubuntu 19.04)
  • Scrolling with my normal mouse works fine in my VirtualBox guest as well (Ubuntu 19.04)
  • Two-finger scrolling with touchpad almost never works. When I scroll very aggressively, then some gesture gets picked up by the guest OS, and the page suddenly scrolls a lot. But it's basically unusable.
I tried debugging it using xinput and evtest in the guest: indeed, the guest OS only receives scroll signals when I very aggressively use the two-finger scroll on my touchpad. I tried multiple emulation types in the VirtualBox settings (PS/2 mouse, tablet, multi-touch tablet), tried reinstalling the add-ons in the Guest OS, but nothing helps.

To me, it appears as if the two-finger scrolling signal doesn't properly get picked up by the VirtualBox host software, and/or doesn't properly get passed on to the guest.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

sjvs wrote:To me, it appears as if the two-finger scrolling signal doesn't properly get picked up by the VirtualBox host software, and/or doesn't properly get passed on to the guest.
...or isn't sent properly by the host OS. Just a thought...

Come to think of it, there was a problem with the input and a delay had to be introduced. It's been a while though and I can't easily find the referenced ticket.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
sjvs

Post by sjvs »

socratis wrote:Come to think of it, there was a problem with the input and a delay had to be introduced. It's been a while though and I can't easily find the referenced ticket.
That sounds interesting. If you do come across that ticket, do post a reference here please! Has that delay been introduced specifically for touchpads? I'm just a bit confused by the fact that scroll with my normal mouse works fine; it's specifically the two-finger scrolling on the touchpad that is problematic. I don't know enough about communication between VirtualBox and host OS to be certain who's to blame.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I did come across the ticket, and what I said is technically still valid:
socratis wrote:there was a problem with the input and a delay had to be introduced
However the "input" I remember had to do with the keyboard, not the mouse. Here's the ticket: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17709
obal

Post by obal »

I have the same problem on the Dell Latitude 7480 laptop after upgrading to Debian Buster. Scrolling works normally when I use the USB mouse. Scrolling with two fingers on the touchpad works jerky and misses. Different configuration of the guest system did not help. Virtualbox is version 6.0.12, guest operating systems are different (Windows XP, Debian Stretch, Buster). Before upgrading to Debian Buster, it worked correctly on Debian Stretch. Any tip or solution?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Since it's a Buster-theme bug, have you checked around in the Buster forums to see if any other software is affected?
obal

Post by obal »

I didn't find that there was a problem with Debian Buster and other specific software. On my laptop with Debian Buster works and scrolled normally in all programs (USB mouse and touchpad two fingers), only virtualbox has problems. I don't understand why there is a difference between scrolling a USB mouse and a touchpad. I thought virtualbox was taking over the action, no matter how it was created.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

obal wrote:I thought virtualbox was taking over the action, no matter how it was created.
If VirtualBox was taking over, you'd be royally screwed! :)
You'd lose the input on your host...
obal

Post by obal »

I solved the situation. I exported all the virtual guests, uninstalled virtualbox 6.0 and deleted all configuration files. I installed virtualbox 5.2 including the extension pack and imported all the virtual guests and installed the guest add-ons. Scrolling already works on the touchpad with two fingers and normal usb mouse.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

obal wrote:I exported all the virtual guests, uninstalled virtualbox 6.0 and deleted all configuration files. I installed virtualbox 5.2 including the extension pack and imported all the virtual guests and installed the guest add-ons.
You didn't have to export/import your guests, simply downgrading to 5.2.38 with the matching ExtPack would suffice.
Didi1357

Post by Didi1357 »

I am affected by the exactly same problem.

I don't think just using an older version is a proper solution. At some point in time the older version will not be available any more. I can help with further debugging if you want.

My host machine is also a Dell Laptop. Most likely I've got the same touchpad:

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep touch
[    3.072277] hid-multitouch 0018:06CB:CDD6.0001: input,hidraw0: I2C HID v1.00 Mouse [DELL095A:00 06CB:CDD6] on i2c-DELL095A:00
Looks like the touchpad is somehow attached via I2C. Could this be the problem?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Didi1357 wrote:At some point in time the older version will not be available any more.
If I'm not mistaken, 5.2.x is supposed to be supported until Jul/2020, you have plenty of time to worry about that. Plus you could continue use the old one even if it's unsupported, nobody is preventing you from doing just that...

But, if you check the changelog of the new 6.1.0 RC1++, you'll find this little gem:
  • Input: Added support for horizontal scrolling in the PS/2 mouse device using the IntelliMouse Explorer protocol. Note that this support is automatically used by Linux guests but not by Windows guests
You could check it out... https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds, the Development Snapshots.
obal

Post by obal »

Scrolling already works for me in Debian 10. I used the same procedure as last time (6.0 -> 5.2). I exported guests, uninstalled Virtualbox, deleted all configuration, installed Virtualbox 6.0 and imported guests. Only the upgrade did not work. There were also several upgrades to Debian and Virtualbox. Maybe I didn't have to do a downgrade of Virtualbox, but to do that for the same version (6.0).