VirtualBox crashes after upgrading to macOS Catalina (#18990)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
trifster

Re: VirtualBox crashes after upgrading to macOS Catalina (#18990)

Post by trifster »

socratis,

Thanks for your post. I couldn't find 6.0.14 for macOS yet but 6.0.13 test version and your command did the trick. My ubuntu vm loaded. I discovered mid-catalina beta (maybe beta 4 -5ish) that having virtual box in "input monitoring" caused crashes as I was trying to figure out crashes back then for my ubuntu vm. removing it from input monitoring worked then. Its amazing to year a 6 year old bug was related too this issue. I've noticed that 6.0.13 has asked for permissions properly now. Both request for volumes and downloads folder have popped up. Oddly it seems to ignore or not help if I manually give it full disk access. Thanks for this post and unlike many others I did read through it all first.

one question on the command. does it matter if you have the 0 at the end?

Thanks,
Trifster
Moralmunky

Post by Moralmunky »

Is there an update for the VirtualBox-6.0.14-133895-OSX.dmg to return the the download page? It disappeared halfway through downloading it this afternoon and I don't see that it has returned to the download page. All the other supported OS download are still there after the official notice that 6.0.14 is available on the home page.
farmer jack

Post by farmer jack »

I have this issue too......No upgrade available to 6.0.14 for Mac hosts
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

trifster wrote:Its amazing to year a 6 year old bug was related too this issue.
Well, software bugs have been known to cause way more serious issues over the years, see List of software bugs in Wikipedia (Warning: Scary). And yes, there are bugs out there that were way older than 6 years, see The World’s Oldest Software Bugs.
trifster wrote:one question on the command. does it matter if you have the 0 at the end?
Of course it does! It's the difference between enabling/disabling the workaround! :)
farmer jack wrote:No upgrade available to 6.0.14 for Mac hosts
Moralmunky wrote:It disappeared halfway through downloading it this afternoon and I don't see that it has returned to the download page
It was half-baked, they now put it back in the oven for that crispy look and feel of a new release, a.k.a. double-baked... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
marvin42

Post by marvin42 »

Code: Select all

VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/HidLedsSync 
Excuse me, but this didn't work for me to cancel the VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/HidLedsSync 0 command! What can I do?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

marvin42 wrote:Excuse me, but this didn't work for me to cancel the VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/HidLedsSync 0 command!
How do you know exactly that this command didn't "work"? What were you expecting it to do, exactly?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
fmagno

Post by fmagno »

v5.2.34 and v6.0.14 seem to be out already but the builds for OSX are missing:
https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.34/
https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.0.14/
GarryMartin

Post by GarryMartin »

socratis wrote:It was half-baked, they now put it back in the oven for that crispy look and feel of a new release, a.k.a. double-baked... ;)
Any news on when we can expect the double-baked version to appear?
marvin42

Post by marvin42 »

socratis wrote:How do you know exactly that this command didn't "work"? What were you expecting it to do, exactly?
  1. I used VirtualBox for a long time, running a Debian. It works very fine. To run the VM I use the VirtualBox Icon in the Dock of my Mac.
  2. After the update to Catalina, I get crashes all the time, as described from a lot of people.
  3. Then I try the

VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/HidLedsSync 0
    command. The result is, that every time, I use the Icon to start the VM I get the message to start from the command line. Okay, I try, but it didn't work.
  4. Then I use the

VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/HidLedsSync
    command to cancel, but I get also the message to start from command line.
BUT: this was a few hours before. I tried now to describe and now, I'm able to start via Icon, as before. So this special mistake (my mistake?) is solved. Thank you for asking for an exact description!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

GarryMartin wrote:Any news on when we can expect the double-baked version to appear?
From what's become public, in a couple of hours...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

marvin42 wrote:To run the VM I use the VirtualBox Icon in the Dock of my Mac
What you needed to do is to recreate that shortcut to the VM.

Glad it's working now...
GarryMartin

Post by GarryMartin »

socratis wrote:From what's become public, in a couple of hours...
Seems to be back now; thanks for the info...

Unfortunately, still crashing my Catalina iMac as soon as I start up a new macOS guest with the Catalina ISO to build a new VM.
enderandpeter

Post by enderandpeter »

As of this moment, there is an OSX (macOS) build for 6.0.14!
DiogoMN

Post by DiogoMN »

Hi,

Same problem here after upgrade to Catalina, all VMs crash. Found that if they start in headless mode and after startup is ongoing press "Start" again they don't crash anymore.

BR
DMN
gercekg

Post by gercekg »

pasting this command to terminal worked succesfully:
VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/HidLedsSync 0
no need to upgrade virtualbox.... thanks...