[Solved] Windows 10 Version 1903: Failed to open session; call to WHvSetupPartition failed

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Solved] Windows 10 Version 1903: Failed to open session; call to WHvSetupPartition failed

Post by socratis »

Seriously now? For real? A new Terminal? One that requires VT-x??? :shock:
Why don't they just go ahead and make the Calculator its own hardware accelerated, VT-x enabled, app? :roll:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
haty1

Re: Windows 10 Version 1903: Failed to open session; call to WHvSetupPartition failed

Post by haty1 »

Thanks @socratis, your instructions fixed it for me!
Windows 1903
MilenG

Re: [Solved] Windows 10 Version 1903: Failed to open session; call to WHvSetupPartition failed

Post by MilenG »

Looks like "Enabled -> Virtual Machine Platform" leads to something like "vt -x is not available". So, after solving this the current "Call to WHvSetupPartition failed: ERROR_SUCCESS (Last=0xc000000d/87) (VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED)." appears. And I haven't reached solution to this yet.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Milen, the Virtual Machine Platform inWindows would re-enable Hyper-V and hog VT-x. If you want to run Virtualbox on Windows 10 you should deactivate everything related to hyper-V, as shown in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62339#p452019
rqcol

Post by rqcol »

i have followed all the steps given above but still i get the error whats next because i have enabled disabled, bios settings still nothing help me
thanks frankie
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

@rqcol, first, you need to buy a new keyboard. Apparently its Shift keys and period key are broken, and the comma key is sporadic. It also seems to be stuck in Twitter mode.

Then look at Minimum information needed for assistance.
BenevalJr

Re: Win 10 1903 ERROR_SUCCESS (Last=0xc000000d/87) (VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED)

Post by BenevalJr »

rd91 wrote:bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
Tks, this solution works for me...
oferdavidi

Post by oferdavidi »

Thnx, the same here :)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ »

May see info for disabling Windows Defender Credential Guard if still having issues... MS Docs credential-guard-manage
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote:MS Docs credential-guard-manage
I think that this is the one that you mean: Manage Windows Defender Credential Guard (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... ard-manage).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jburro

Post by jburro »

Thanks for the clear instructions, this worked for me with Windows 10 1903 (unlike previous posts).
rd91 wrote:

Code: Select all

Windows Features
----------------------
Disabled -> Hyper-V
Enabled  -> Virtual Machine Platform
Enabled  -> Windows Hypervisor Platform
Disabled -> Windows Sandbox

Elevated Powershell/Cmd
-------------------------------
bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
Spoons

Post by Spoons »

I just started using VirtualBox a few days ago, I got everything setup so I could run some legacy CAD software on a Windows XP Professional virtual machine and then this damn Windows 10 Update 1903 screwed up everything. I'm in this process because my Windows 2000 computer is reaching the end of its lifespan and I need to take the next step into the modern 2019/2020 CAD world. This virtual machine concept is relatively new to me, the only one I've had to deal with was an older server that was put on a virtual rive while our new server was being built.

I read through some of the "fixes" in some of these threads and did what I full understood how to do and the rest of the instructions simply blew straight over my head. I'm not a professional IT guy, I'm a long time above average user from all the way back to the old DOS days and I knows enough to fix a lot of things and I also know when to get an IT professional to take up where I lacking in knowledge.

I'm really frustrated with this turn of events to say the very least; I get it all working and then it dies because Windows 10 upgraded. When I compared the two; I liked VirtualBox better than Hyper-V because Hyper-V seemed a lot slower for graphics intense software like my legacy CAD software packages.

Is it possible for VirtualBox to write an updated version that can be installed on a Windows 10 with the 1903 upgrade so I can simply install it and it will work without jumping through all kinds of IT hoops? If not; can someone write a step-by-step detailed instruction on how to fix this? I literally have thousands of legacy CAD files (2003 software and earlier) that I need to be able to access until I get things recreated in 2019/2020 software.

I have a bad feeling that the next major Windows 10 upgrade might cause the same kind of headache.

Spoons
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

The short answer is no. There is no way that VirtualBox can access hardware virtualization if the host OS or some program running on that OS is using it. The devs are trying to find a workaround but have had little success.

You are correct on one point. Microsoft (and other software developers) are constantly finding new ways to use hardware virtualization, so the list of things which interfere with VirtualBox (and other type 2 hypervisors) will continue to grow.
Bill
Spoons

Post by Spoons »

BillG wrote:The short answer is no. There is no way that VirtualBox can access hardware virtualization if the host OS or some program running on that OS is using it. The devs are trying to find a workaround but have had little success.
Bummer :(
BillG wrote:Microsoft (and other software developers) are constantly finding new ways to use hardware virtualization, so the list of things which interfere with VirtualBox (and other type 2 hypervisors) will continue to grow.
It's no just screwing with hypervisors, the 1903 update also completely wrecked my one month old brand new SolidWorks 2019 CAD software running on Windows 10, I had to completely unload it and do a new install. This kind of stuff eats up a LOT of time that I could be productive, it's all so danged frustrating!
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Spoons wrote:This kind of stuff eats up a LOT of time that I could be productive, it's all so danged frustrating!
If you have Windows 10 Pro you can use Group Policy Editor to stop updates from installing on your PC until you are ready. Works up to 1809 so far, I don't have a Pro 1903 yet.
Run... > gpedit.msc > Local Computer Policy > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates > set "Configure automatic updating" dropdown to 2 (Notify for download and auto install) or possibly 3 (Auto download and notify for install).

I have this on my workstation and never get upeneded by updates until I'm ready & time-prepared for possible glitches.