VirtualBox crashes after upgrading to macOS Catalina (#18990)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
KamilS

Re: VirtualBox crashes after upgrading to macOS Catalina (#18990)

Post by KamilS »

Is it known when we can expect an official Oracle patch? :(
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

tca47 wrote:
VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/HidLedsSync 0
What does this command actually do, and do I need to get rid of it when a stable release is working?
I had a chat with 'klaus' over IRC, and since this was on the public [url=irc://irc.freenode.net/vbox]#vbox[/url] channel at IRC, I believe it's ethically and morally acceptable if I post his answer in the forums as well:
[color=#AA0000]klaus[/color] wrote:All workarounds (even though they all look very different) in the end disable the HID LED syncing, because that's where the 6-year-old bug is which suddenly became lots more prominent with Catalina. I think that it must have caused more silent problems (like memory corruption) in the past, because the code was wrong since it was introduced.

The "extradata" tweak disables it directly, the "Input Monitoring" permission revocation makes sure that the events which cause calling the code are not coming, and Headless VMs never got these events...
If you go with the "extradata" tweak, then all you have to do to reset the tweak, is to issue the same command but with no arguments:
  • 
    VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/HidLedsSync
KamilS wrote:Is it known when we can expect an official Oracle patch?
You seriously need to read the thread from the beginning instead of asking questions that have already been answered. For the love of bytes, it's literally in the first post of this thread! :roll:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
msabry

Post by msabry »

>>>Solved<<<

Start the VM in "detachable mode" fixed the issue for me. Right Click on the VM > Start > Detachable Start
macOS Catalnia 10.15
Virtual Box 10.12
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

msabry wrote:>>>Solved<<<
I'm afraid that (like the other proposed "fixes") these are still a workaround, not a solution. The real solution should be coming with 6.0.14...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
aqua_lung

Post by aqua_lung »

Another thing to try is to enter the command:
  • VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/HidLedsSync 0
Thanks. This worked for me. I need to run a OSX Lion on Catalina.
mezantrop

Post by mezantrop »

Another thing to try is to enter the command:
  • VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/HidLedsSync 0
Worked for me as well. Thanks a lot!
rolfi

Post by rolfi »

jamataran wrote:Same here.

The guest crashes when klicking outside the client window. I tryied allowing "full access" to the app but it still failing
I had the same here. But the already posted workaround fixed that for the meantime.
Raj455

Virtual Box Image Automatically Aborted!!!

Post by Raj455 »

After Updating to Virtual Box Latest version and MACOS new Update MAC Catalina When I started virtual box Debian-32 bit (protostar) Image It automatically Aborted without reason and Got error Session
The VM session was aborted.

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: SessionMachine
Interface: ISession {c0447716-ff5a-4795-b57a-ecd5fffa18a4}
Plzz Suggest how to resolve error and start safely ??? Below Attachement is my log file ,kindly check it out !!
Attachments
vbox.log.zip
Another Virtual Box MAC app error!
(23.38 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
VBox.log.zip
Log file
(7.34 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Raj455
I merged your post with the thread that deals with the issue. Read the thread from the beginning.

PS. You shouldn't have posted in the "OSX Guests" section, but in the "OSX Hosts" section.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Raj455
I've deleted two more duplicates! And I sent you two PMs regarding this. If you post a third one, you're getting a weekly vacation from the forums, I hope we're clear...
mrusli

Post by mrusli »

Hi All,

I am currently running a mac mini 2014. And firstly, I upgraded my macos mojave 10.14.6 with the latest supplementary updates to version 2. And afterwards I download and updates to Macos Catalina. The upgrade to macos catalina did not went smoothly. It was corrupted! From Apple Apps Store! My iCloud is in complete messed up.I have to chat online with their Apple Tech Support and get the thing fix. And I have to re-download the MacOS Catalina again. And do a reinstall of the MacOS. And I get my iCloud working.

To cut the crap of the episodes! I launch Virtual Box machine and run a Windows 10 updates. And it was dead slow as hell! The Virtual Box is working fine at this time. So I have to be wary of the report that many users are experiencing a lot of crashes.,

Mind if I asked. Does anyone with Macbook Pro 2016-2019,Mac Mini 2018, iMac Pro, Mac Pro, that mac comes with the Apple T2 Chip having issues with System Crashes??? Like Bridge OS crashes! That kind of stuff! Have you done a reinstall of your MacOS Catalina?

The most concern part is does any of you mac users here having constant issues with APPLE T2 Chip Crashes??? Like Bridge OS Errors!
avibrazil

Post by avibrazil »

This is a bug in VirtualBox UI that happens when you switch from VM window to another Mac window. If you don't switch windows (e.g. Command+Tab), it won't crash.

A simple solution, without changing or installing anything, is starting the VM in headless mode (no UI window).
  • Go to Mac terminal
  • List your VMs with command

Code: Select all

VBoxManage list vms
  • Start VM in headless mode with command

Code: Select all

VBoxHeadless -s <vm_name>
You don't even need VirtualBox Admin UI running to run VMs like this. It will spare you some RAM. But if it is running, it will show the VM status changing from stopped to running.

You still can access your VM through the virtual network with SSH (Linux guests) or VNC (Linux, Windows guests) or remote desktop (Windows guests).
TTom

Post by TTom »

After upgrading to macOS Catalina I was getting the same issue of unexpected abortion running w10 when clicking outside VM window.

For me the solution that worked was:
  1. System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy tab > select Accessibility in the list > click the lock in the bottom to make changes
  2. Select the VirtualBox icon and click (-) to Remove
  3. Launch your VM, when mac security window pop-up asking permissions click Deny.
  4. Should be solved by now.
  5. You will notice in the Privacy tab list, below Accessibility, selecting the item Input Monitoring the app VirtualBox with the tick not selected. That's fine! (In my case this entry didn't exist before.)
arekm
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux

Post by arekm »

VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/HidLedsSync 0
workaround worked for me in a way that I can start virtual machine with linux guest. But if I save it and try to resume then... macos itself crashes and my macbook pro reboots. Not sure if that's another manifestation of the same problem or just yet another problem.
westfalia

Virtualbox on MacOx 10.15 crashes while installing windows 10.

Post by westfalia »

Hello.
Am running the latest build of macOS Catalina 10.15 and virtual box version: 6.0.12 r133076 (Qt5.6.3).
While I start the vm so I could run windows installation I click on the host OS to continue doing other things but the moment I do that the installation crashes. One time I let the installation run and windows installed fully but when I clicked in the vm setting to remove windows disk image, the running windows 10 vm crashed and had upon reopening the installation prompted me to start afresh. Some assistance would be highly appreciated