Cannot save machine state or take snapshot

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
linq

Cannot save machine state or take snapshot

Post by linq »

I have the latest Virtualbox 5.2.26 installed on Windows 10 machine. I use Ubuntu 18.04 guest.

Everything works fine except that I cannot save machine state: when I shut down and select the option "save machine state", it shows some progressing and before reaching 100%, the little status window disappears (maybe crashed), anyway the state of the guest in the vm list of virtualbox shows "Aborted". When I start it, it is a fresh state instead of going to the previous state.

VBox.log is attached.

I also found that I cannot take snapshot, here is the error code: Result Code: RPC_S_CALL_FAILED 0x800706BE (0x800706BE)

Someone mentioned that a fix to snapshot problem is, virtualbox program needs to run as administror, I followed that change, but it does not resolve the problem.

Please help out.

Thanks!
Attachments
VBox.log
(116.06 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Cannot save machine state or take snapshot

Post by mpack »

linq wrote: Someone mentioned that a fix to snapshot problem is, virtualbox program needs to run as administror
Who is "someone"? Certainly not someone who knows what he's talking about.

You need admin rights to install VirtualBox, because it's a software install in general and because it installs device drivers. You do not need admin rights to run VirtualBox.

On the installation point, I believe your VirtualBox software has not been properly installed. You need to install while logged in as the same user who will use VirtualBox, you should use "Run as administrator" to install the software, to ensure that it doesn't silently skip doing things you don't have permission to do on your PC.

Note in particular that logging in as Adminstrator does not do the same thing as the above.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Take a look at the Known Issues in the "Discuss the 6.0.0 release" post.

You are seeing the effects of saved states not being restored in 6.0.x. There are three of them (and many, many duplicates):
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
giip

Post by giip »

i have the same problem.

virtualbox running on linux mint 19.1, hosted linux mint 19.1 state cannot be often saved. saving progress runs to 97%, then stop for a while, and then is the guest window closed. in virtual box manager i see the state of linux mint 19.1 virtual (guest) as "canceled", not "saved" as expected. log ends everitime (when this happen) with same lines:

Console: Machine state changed to 'Saving'
Changing the VM state from 'SUSPENDED' to 'SAVING'
VUSB: Detached 'HidMouse' from port 1 on RootHub#1

saving state of windows 7 guest is everitime without any problem.
ZirCon

Post by ZirCon »

Same issue here! Running VirtualBox Version 5.2.32_Ubuntu r132056 under Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (host) with Windows 8.1 x64 as guest (VBoxGuestAdditions v5.2.32 installed).

Code: Select all

00:56:31.437752 GUI: Request for close-action to save VM state.
00:56:31.437783 GUI: Passing request to save VM state from machine-logic to UI session.
00:56:31.438246 Console: Machine state changed to 'Saving'
00:56:31.439064 Changing the VM state from 'SUSPENDED' to 'SAVING'
00:56:31.439684 VUSB: Detached 'HidMouse' from port 1 on RootHub#1
00:56:41.287034 OpenGL Warning: Assertion failed: rc == VINF_SUCCESS=0, file /build/virtualbox-U_1mfy/virtualbox-5.2.32-dfsg/src/VBox/GuestHost/OpenGL/state_tracker/state_snapshot.c, line 622
00:56:41.585395 OpenGL Warning: Assertion failed: rc == VINF_SUCCESS=0, file /build/virtualbox-U_1mfy/virtualbox-5.2.32-dfsg/src/VBox/GuestHost/OpenGL/state_tracker/state_snapshot.c, line 624
00:56:41.585414 OpenGL Warning: Assertion failed: rc == VINF_SUCCESS=0, file /build/virtualbox-U_1mfy/virtualbox-5.2.32-dfsg/src/VBox/GuestHost/OpenGL/state_tracker/state_snapshot.c, line 626
The last 3 lines with the OpenGL warning repeating over 1000 times before the log ends.

Few month ago it was still working, so I'm not sure when this issue started (maybe after an Ubuntu/Kernel update or a Windows update).
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

ZirCon wrote:Same issue here! Running VirtualBox Version 5.2.32_Ubuntu.
This website only supports VirtualBox, not third party OSE forks such as that one. If you want support here then please confirm that you still have the problem after installing a recent version of actual VirtualBox.