So many problems with kernel version 5

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
user123
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Mac?

So many problems with kernel version 5

Post by user123 »

Ever since kernel version 5 got pushed into mainline updates I've had nothing but problems with virtualbox. I can't run it on a host with kernel v5, the guest extensions don't work on a guest with v5. I tried upgrading to virtualbox 6.0.10. Didn't help.

The install says it completes and vbox runs but the kernel drivers won't compile, won't load if they are compiled, aren't linked in modules.dep properly. Virtualbox also seems to have a lot of problems with selinux and secureboot. I can tell the devs are not using either in thier development environment.

I did finally manage to get the kernel drivers to load using kernel v5 after a whole day of effort. This may come in helpful to someone. 6.0.4 doesn't even build the drivers properly, 6.0.10 builds them but won't link or load them. So to start you have to install 6.0.10 copy the drivers somewhere then downgrade to 6.0.4. Make sure selinux is disabled during install.

Once 6.0.4 is installed copy the drivers to /usr/lib/modules/5.x.x/misc, sign them if you are using secureboot and then run depmod -a
After that it should load automatically on boot.
sambada

Re: So many problems with kernel version 5

Post by sambada »

Hi user123,

Please forgive my ignorance. Could you actually tell us the location / names of the drivers you mean when you say "install 6.0.10 copy the drivers somewhere". This is the only glimmer of hope I seem to have found in reference to solving the VirtualBox/kernel 5.3 issue.

Much appreciated!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

sambada wrote:This is the only glimmer of hope I seem to have found in reference to solving the VirtualBox/kernel 5.3 issue.
There have been patches in the mailing list and in https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/18911. See also viewtopic.php?f=3&t=93944 and https://www.virtualbox.org/pipermail/vb ... 15297.html. And according to https://www.virtualbox.org/pipermail/vb ... 15334.html the fixes have landed in revision 133279.

So, try the latest 6.0.x revision, currently at revision 133347. If you want to use the latest version for your host/guests, you should also consider doing the same for VirtualBox. ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
sambada

Post by sambada »

Hi @socratis. Thanks. Problem solved as Fedora 30 has released Virtualbox updates which work with kernel 5.3. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.
mrvanes
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: WinXP

Post by mrvanes »

For those running Ubuntu 19.04 and Virtualbox from packages and waiting for the patches to trickle down, but wanting to run 5.3 kernel now, here's the diff for the patch, using the (lowercase) filenames under /usr/share/virtualbox/src. It applies to and fixes virtualbox 6.0.12-133076~Ubuntu~bionic
Attachments
ubuntu_19.04.patch
(2.79 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
puterboy

Post by puterboy »

Any idea when an Ubuntu/Debian rpm update will be released?

Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

puterboy wrote:Any idea when an Ubuntu/Debian rpm update will be released?
When 6.0.14 comes out. Till then, only the generic test build is available...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
waffle

Post by waffle »

mrvanes wrote:For those running Ubuntu 19.04 and Virtualbox from packages and waiting for the patches to trickle down, but wanting to run 5.3 kernel now, here's the diff for the patch, using the (lowercase) filenames under /usr/share/virtualbox/src. It applies to and fixes virtualbox 6.0.12-133076~Ubuntu~bionic
I'm pretty new to this and I was wondering about two things. First will it let me set the baud rate in mint 19.2 and second how do you install it?
Thank you
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

waffle wrote:First will it let me set the baud rate in mint 19.2
Baud rate??? Why would something like that affect the baud rate? Maybe you should open a new thread? For which most probably you'll get a "No you can't" reply, but this has nothing to do with the thread's title, and we like to observe the "One issue, one thread" rule... ;)
waffle wrote:second how do you install it?
If you need to ask how to use a patch file, I would suggest to install the 6.0.x test builds which already contain the fix, a lot simpler...
waffle

Post by waffle »

Sorry, like I said I'm new to this.
Thanks.
mrvanes

Post by mrvanes »

6.0.14 just landed on my Ubuntu 19.04 machine, but vboxconfig still fails. What a pitty.

Code: Select all

# /sbin/vboxconfig
vboxdrv.sh: Stopping VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Starting VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Building VirtualBox kernel modules.
vboxdrv.sh: failed: modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why.

There were problems setting up VirtualBox.  To re-start the set-up process, run
  /sbin/vboxconfig
as root.  If your system is using EFI Secure Boot you may need to sign the
kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci) before you can load
them. Please see your Linux system's documentation for more information.
birdie
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, other Unixes

Post by birdie »

mrvanes wrote:6.0.14 just landed on my Ubuntu 19.04 machine, but vboxconfig still fails. What a pitty.
Post your /var/log/vbox-install.log
mrvanes

Post by mrvanes »

Never mind, I was building against a newly built kernel 5.3.6 source tree, but hadn't rebooted yet, so I still ran 5.3.5.
Meh...
et1swret

Post by et1swret »

VirtualBox Version: 6.0.14 133895
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Kernel: 5.4.1
Issue: VirtualBox drivers do not build.

VirtualBox 6.0.14 r133895 installer, built 2019-10-10T18:54:03Z.

Testing system setup...
Installing VirtualBox to /opt/VirtualBox

vboxdrv.sh: failed: Look at /var/log/vbox-setup.log to find out what went wrong.

There were problems setting up VirtualBox.  To re-start the set-up process, run
  /sbin/vboxconfig
as root.  If your system is using EFI Secure Boot you may need to sign the
kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci) before you can load
them. Please see your Linux system's documentation for more information.

Building the main VirtualBox module.
Error building the module:
make V=1 CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= -C /lib/modules/5.4.1/build M=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 -j2 modules
make[1]: warning: -jN forced in submake: disabling jobserver mode.
make -f ./scripts/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/vbox.0 single-build= need-builtin=1 need-modorder=1

WARNING: Symbol version dump ./Module.symvers
           is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/linux/.SUPDrv-linux.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-slackware-linux/9.2.0/include -I./arch/x86/include -I./arch/x86/include/generated  -I./include -I./arch/x86/include/uapi -I./arch/x86/include/generated/uapi -I./include/uapi -I./include/generated/uapi -include ./include/linux/kconfig.h -include ./include/linux/compiler_types.h -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Werror=strict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fshort-wchar -fno-PIE -Werror=implicit-function-declaration -Werror=implicit-int -Wno-format-security -std=gnu89 -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx -m64 -falign-jumps=1 -falign-loops=1 -mno-80387 -mno-fp-ret-in-387 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=3 -mskip-rax-setup -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -DCONFIG_X86_X32_ABI -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SECTIONS=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SSSE3=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX2=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX512=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SHA1_NI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SHA256_NI=1 -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mindirect-branch=thunk-extern -mindirect-branch-register -fno-jump-tables -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -Wno-frame-address -Wno-format-truncation -Wno-format-overflow -Wno-address-of-packed-member -O2 --param=allow-store-data-races=0 -fstack-protector-strong -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wimplicit-fallthrough -Wno-unused-const-variable -fno-var-tracking-assignments -pg -mrecord-mcount -mfentry -DCC_USING_FENTRY -flive-patching=inline-clone -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wvla -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-stringop-truncation -fno-strict-overflow -fno-merge-all-constants -fmerge-constants -fno-stack-check -fconserve-stack -Werror=date-time -Werror=incompatible-pointer-types -Werror=designated-init -fmacro-prefix-map=./= -fcf-protection=none -Wno-packed-not-aligned -include /tmp/vbox.0/include/VBox/SUPDrvMangling.h -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-pie -Wno-declaration-after-statement -I./include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_WITHOUT_PRAGMA_ONCE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HARDENING -DSUPDRV_WITH_RELEASE_LOGGER -DVBOX_WITH_64_BITS_GUESTS -DCONFIG_VBOXDRV_AS_MISC -DRT_ARCH_AMD64  -DMODULE  -DKBUILD_BASENAME='"SUPDrv_linux"' -DKBUILD_MODNAME='"vboxdrv"' -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/linux/SUPDrv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/.SUPDrv.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-slackware-linux/9.2.0/include -I./arch/x86/include -I./arch/x86/include/generated  -I./include -I./arch/x86/include/uapi -I./arch/x86/include/generated/uapi -I./include/uapi -I./include/generated/uapi -include ./include/linux/kconfig.h -include ./include/linux/compiler_types.h -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Werror=strict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fshort-wchar -fno-PIE -Werror=implicit-function-declaration -Werror=implicit-int -Wno-format-security -std=gnu89 -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx -m64 -falign-jumps=1 -falign-loops=1 -mno-80387 -mno-fp-ret-in-387 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=3 -mskip-rax-setup -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -DCONFIG_X86_X32_ABI -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SECTIONS=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SSSE3=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX2=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX512=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SHA1_NI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SHA256_NI=1 -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mindirect-branch=thunk-extern -mindirect-branch-register -fno-jump-tables -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -Wno-frame-address -Wno-format-truncation -Wno-format-overflow -Wno-address-of-packed-member -O2 --param=allow-store-data-races=0 -fstack-protector-strong -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wimplicit-fallthrough -Wno-unused-const-variable -fno-var-tracking-assignments -pg -mrecord-mcount -mfentry -DCC_USING_FENTRY -flive-patching=inline-clone -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wvla -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-stringop-truncation -fno-strict-overflow -fno-merge-all-constants -fmerge-constants -fno-stack-check -fconserve-stack -Werror=date-time -Werror=incompatible-pointer-types -Werror=designated-init -fmacro-prefix-map=./= -fcf-protection=none -Wno-packed-not-aligned -include /tmp/vbox.0/include/VBox/SUPDrvMangling.h -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-pie -Wno-declaration-after-statement -I./include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_WITHOUT_PRAGMA_ONCE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HARDENING -DSUPDRV_WITH_RELEASE_LOGGER -DVBOX_WITH_64_BITS_GUESTS -DCONFIG_VBOXDRV_AS_MISC -DRT_ARCH_AMD64  -DMODULE  -DKBUILD_BASENAME='"SUPDrv"' -DKBUILD_MODNAME='"vboxdrv"' -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/SUPDrv.o /tmp/vbox.0/SUPDrv.c
   ./tools/objtool/objtool orc generate  --module --no-fp --retpoline --uaccess /tmp/vbox.0/linux/SUPDrv-linux.o
/tmp/vbox.0/linux/SUPDrv-linux.o: warning: objtool: VBoxDrvLinuxIOCtl_6_0_14()+0x94: call to VBoxHost_RTR0MemUserCopyFrom() with UACCESS enabled
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/.SUPDrvGip.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-slackware-linux/9.2.0/include -I./arch/x86/include -I./arch/x86/include/generated  -I./include -I./arch/x86/include/uapi -I./arch/x86/include/generated/uapi -I./include/uapi -I./include/generated/uapi -include ./include/linux/kconfig.h -include ./include/linux/compiler_types.h -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Werror=strict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fshort-wchar -fno-PIE -Werror=implicit-function-declaration -Werror=implicit-int -Wno-format-security -std=gnu89 -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx -m64 -falign-jumps=1 -falign-loops=1 -mno-80387 -mno-fp-ret-in-387 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=3 -mskip-rax-setup -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -DCONFIG_X86_X32_ABI -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SECTIONS=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SSSE3=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX2=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX512=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SHA1_NI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SHA256_NI=1 -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mindirect-branch=thunk-extern -mindirect-branch-register -fno-jump-tables -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -Wno-frame-address -Wno-format-truncation -Wno-format-overflow -Wno-address-of-packed-member -O2 --param=allow-store-data-races=0 -fstack-protector-strong -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wimplicit-fallthrough -Wno-unused-const-variable -fno-var-tracking-assignments -pg -mrecord-mcount -mfentry -DCC_USING_FENTRY -flive-patching=inline-clone -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wvla -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-stringop-truncation -fno-strict-overflow -fno-merge-all-constants -fmerge-constants -fno-stack-check -fconserve-stack -Werror=date-time -Werror=incompatible-pointer-types -Werror=designated-init -fmacro-prefix-map=./= -fcf-protection=none -Wno-packed-not-aligned -include /tmp/vbox.0/include/VBox/SUPDrvMangling.h -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-pie -Wno-declaration-after-statement -I./include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_WITHOUT_PRAGMA_ONCE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HARDENING -DSUPDRV_WITH_RELEASE_LOGGER -DVBOX_WITH_64_BITS_GUESTS -DCONFIG_VBOXDRV_AS_MISC -DRT_ARCH_AMD64  -DMODULE  -DKBUILD_BASENAME='"SUPDrvGip"' -DKBUILD_MODNAME='"vboxdrv"' -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/SUPDrvGip.o /tmp/vbox.0/SUPDrvGip.c
In file included from ././include/linux/compiler_types.h:59,
                 from <command-line>:
/tmp/vbox.0/SUPDrvGip.c: In function ‘supdrvTscDeltaThread’:
./include/linux/compiler_attributes.h:200:41: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘__attribute__’
  200 | # define fallthrough                    __attribute__((__fallthrough__))
      |                                         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/vbox.0/include/iprt/cdefs.h:1169:48: note: in expansion of macro ‘fallthrough’
 1169 | # define RT_FALL_THROUGH()      __attribute__((fallthrough))
      |                                                ^~~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/vbox.0/include/iprt/cdefs.h:1176:33: note: in expansion of macro ‘RT_FALL_THROUGH’
 1176 | #define RT_FALL_THRU()          RT_FALL_THROUGH()
      |                                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/vbox.0/SUPDrvGip.c:4197:17: note: in expansion of macro ‘RT_FALL_THRU’
 4197 |                 RT_FALL_THRU();
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from /tmp/vbox.0/include/VBox/cdefs.h:32,
                 from /tmp/vbox.0/SUPDrvInternal.h:37,
                 from /tmp/vbox.0/SUPDrvGip.c:33:
/tmp/vbox.0/include/iprt/cdefs.h:1169:60: error: expected identifier or ‘(’ before ‘)’ token
      |                                                            ^
/tmp/vbox.0/include/iprt/cdefs.h:1176:33: note: in expansion of macro ‘RT_FALL_THROUGH’
/tmp/vbox.0/SUPDrvGip.c:4197:17: note: in expansion of macro ‘RT_FALL_THRU’
 4197 |                 RT_FALL_THRU();
In file included from ././include/linux/compiler_types.h:59,
                 from <command-line>:
./include/linux/compiler_attributes.h:200:41: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘__attribute__’
  200 | # define fallthrough                    __attribute__((__fallthrough__))
      |                                         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/vbox.0/include/iprt/cdefs.h:1169:48: note: in expansion of macro ‘fallthrough’
      |                                                ^~~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/vbox.0/SUPDrvGip.c:4226:17: note: in expansion of macro ‘RT_FALL_THRU’
 4226 |                 RT_FALL_THRU();
In file included from /tmp/vbox.0/include/VBox/cdefs.h:32,
                 from /tmp/vbox.0/SUPDrvInternal.h:37,
                 from /tmp/vbox.0/SUPDrvGip.c:33:
/tmp/vbox.0/include/iprt/cdefs.h:1169:60: error: expected identifier or ‘(’ before ‘)’ token
      |                                                            ^
/tmp/vbox.0/SUPDrvGip.c:4226:17: note: in expansion of macro ‘RT_FALL_THRU’
 4226 |                 RT_FALL_THRU();
/tmp/vbox.0/SUPDrvGip.c:4195:20: warning: this statement may fall through [-Wimplicit-fallthrough=]
 4195 |                 if (RT_FAILURE(rc))
      |                    ^
/tmp/vbox.0/SUPDrvGip.c:4200:13: note: here
 4200 |             case kTscDeltaThreadState_Listening:
      |             ^~~~
In file included from <command-line>:
/tmp/vbox.0/include/VBox/SUPDrvMangling.h:35:30: warning: this statement may fall through [-Wimplicit-fallthrough=]
   35 | #define RT_MANGLER(symbol)   VBoxHost_##symbol
/tmp/vbox.0/include/iprt/mangling.h:2328:57: note: in expansion of macro ‘RT_MANGLER’
 2328 | # define RTThreadSleep                                  RT_MANGLER(RTThreadSleep)
      |                                                         ^~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/vbox.0/SUPDrvGip.c:4225:17: note: in expansion of macro ‘RTThreadSleep’
 4225 |                 RTThreadSleep(1);
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/vbox.0/SUPDrvGip.c:4229:13: note: here
 4229 |             case kTscDeltaThreadState_Measuring:
      |             ^~~~
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:266: /tmp/vbox.0/SUPDrvGip.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
   ./tools/objtool/objtool orc generate  --module --no-fp --retpoline --uaccess /tmp/vbox.0/SUPDrv.o
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1652: /tmp/vbox.0] Error 2
make: *** [/tmp/vbox.0/Makefile-footer.gmk:111: vboxdrv] Error 2
Last edited by socratis on 12. Dec 2019, 07:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replaced attachment with actual text.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

et1swret wrote:VirtualBox Version: 6.0.14 133895
Kernel: 5.4.1
That won't work. If you want to use the latest version for your host/guests, you should also consider doing the same for VirtualBox. Download the latest VirtualBox. As of this writing, that would be version 6.1.0. If that doesn't work you should try the latest test builds.

From the 6.1.0 changelog:
• Linux host and guest: Support Linux 5.4 (bug #18945)
See the changes in the ticket for more details and the timeframe...