Keyboard debounce issue on Windows 10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Tishihtzu

Keyboard debounce issue on Windows 10

Post by Tishihtzu »

I am running Windows 10 (1809) on macOS 10.14.4 and experiencing keyboard debounce issues (i.e., multiple characters per keypress). I did a search for "windows debounce issues" and did not see anything in this post or in help. The VM has 8GB of RAM and I am running a host with i9 and 32GB RAM.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Keyboard debounce issue on Windows 10

Post by socratis »

Is this on this VM only or on every VM? That is, if you try with a LiveDVD of your favorite Linux distro, do you see it?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Tishihtzu

Post by Tishihtzu »

Sorry still having the issue. Here is a video of it:

https://youtu.be/HYTdovMfWeE

Note that I am also having performance issues with Windows10 VM ever since VB6 came out.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Tishihtzu wrote:Here is a video of it:
Sorry, but...
[quote=""YouTube""]This video is unavailable.[/quote]
Tishihtzu wrote:Note that I am also having performance issues with Windows10 VM ever since VB6 came out.
We like to observe the The Forum Posting Guide » One issue, one thread rule... ;)
Please open a new thread with a matching title...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Tishihtzu

Post by Tishihtzu »

@socratis can you try again. I think it just wasn't finishing processing when I posted earlier. It works for me now.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Tishihtzu, still "The video is unavailable". Are you sure you have the correct URL?
Tishihtzu

Post by Tishihtzu »

I am sorry-- I thought I had the permissions set to Unlisted, but it was private.

Please try again:
https://youtu.be/HYTdovMfWeE
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Yes, I see what you mean now... But I don't have anything for you readily available, because I haven't seen such a behavior.
  • Can you describe your hardware setup?
  • What's your host's hardware? Bluetooth/USB/Wired/Internal keyboard?
  • Any keyboard modifying software like Karabiner-Elements?
  • I see a gazillion of apps running, both in the Dock, and in the MenuBar, how about getting rid of all of them?
  • Does it happen if you switch users and/or a new user? Even Guest would do, it could be even better actually...
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

A VM log might be a good way to go.
pws442
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: XP Pro, W7Pro, W8Pro, W10Pro

W10 Login Fails. Excessive keystrokes

Post by pws442 »

I cannot log in to my W10 VM from my MBP. The keystrokes are repeating. Just a bunch of repeating characters. I cannot enter my PIN. Backspace deletes pretty much everything with no consistency. It does not happen for the W7 VM.

Any clues?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

pws442 wrote:The keystrokes are repeating. Just a bunch of repeating characters
This reminds me of the thread "Keyboard debounce issue on Windows 10", which is why I'm merging your post with that thread.

We've asked the OP several questions, see if you can reply them...
pws442 wrote:I cannot enter my PIN
Take a look at the thread "Cannot type letters in Windows 10 boot up password field".
granada29
Volunteer
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

I tripped over this issue when I tried to run a Windows10 VM in Catalina (macOS 10.15).

When I first ran the VM in Catalina, I was prompted to allow VirtualBox to allow "Input Monitoring" and "Accessibility" via the System Security&Privacy preferences.

So of course I said "OK", the VM started and I could not login because of autorepeated keys.

I shutdown the VM, had a bit of a think, and then removed VirtualBox from those Security&Privacy panels. On restarting the VM, I was once more prompted, but this time chose "Deny".

I was then able to login to the VM and couldn't see any ill iffects on performance from having chosen the Deny option.

This begs the question of why VirtualBox is triggering these requests, but I'm happy that the VM is working