[Resolved] VMSVGA not working possible hardening issue with AMD display driver

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Mannekino

[Resolved] VMSVGA not working possible hardening issue with AMD display driver

Post by Mannekino »

Hi,

I'm trying to get Linux Mint running as a guest on a Windows 10 host. I got a AMD Ryzen 2700X CPU and a AMD Vega 56 GPU. I have installed the latest AMD display driver and Windows 10 is also completely up to date.

As I understand the VMSVGA display controller is the preferred one for Linux guests. After install the Guest Additions my VM no longer boots with that dispay controller. It does still work with the VBoxVGA but performance isn't good.

When I look in the logs I see the following error

Code: Select all

2a20.1ec0: Error (rc=0):
2a20.1ec0: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: rejecting 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\amdihk64.dll': rcNt=0xc0000190
I believe this is a DLL from the AMD display driver. Earlier this year (around Febuary I think) I got a Linux Mint guest running with the VMSVGA display controller, but when I look at the modified date of the DLL it states that it was last modified in June.

Is this problem fixable, and am I ever correct this is a hardening issue? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by socratis on 16. Sep 2019, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
Mannekino

Re: VMSVGA not working possible hardening issue with AMD display driver

Post by Mannekino »

I tried installing the latest "Recommended" drivers from AMD which should be WHQL but that hasn't solved the problem unfortunately.

Also tried downgrading to 6.0.6 but that didn't help either. I'm at a loss here on how to get VMSVGA to work with my system.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Without logs to provide data there is not a lot that any of us can say.

With the VM fully shut down, right click it in the GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" and "VBoxHardening.log" (no other files) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Mannekino

Post by Mannekino »

OK, will do when I get home from work in about 7 hours or so.

Been trouble shooting this issue all day yesterday, quite frustrating. The procedure I followed to install both Mint and Ubuntu was as follows.
  • Clean install of the guest
  • After installing I ran "apt update; apt upgrade"
  • Shutdown and start again
  • Installed "build-essentials dkms linux-headers-$(uname -r)"
  • Inserted Guest Additions and installed them
I tried this all with the following also
  • Installed the VM with the VBoxVGA driver without 3D acceleration and switching to VMSVGA after installing Guest Additions (didn't help)
  • Installed the VM with VMSVGA from the get go
  • Installed the VM with VMSVGA plus 3D acceleration from the get go
Will do a clean install later today starting with the VMSVGA display controller and post the logs. It only happens after I installed the Guest Additions.
Mannekino

Post by Mannekino »

I managed to find this thread https://community.amd.com/thread/240456 which seems like a similar problem so I downloaded "Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.7.1" and did a complete clean install of the video driver. I first uninstalled my current driver and afterward I also removed the amdihk64.dll file manually because it wasn't removed. It looks like the hardening error is gone now but the problem still persists. When I chose the VMSVGA display controller it doesn't boot all the way through, just shows a blank screen after the Mint boot screen. It does work with the VBoxVGA driver. I've attached the logs with both display controllers.
Attachments
With VMSVGA.zip
VMSVGA doesn't boot anymore after installing Guest Additions
(53.92 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
With VBoxVGA.zip
VBoxVGA boots properly after installing Guest Additions
(53.01 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Mannekino

Post by Mannekino »

Well I think I solved the issue. I upped the video ram from 16 to 128 MB and now it works just fine.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Resolved].

BTW, you didn't have a hardening problem, there are no "supr3" references in the "VBox.log", and your Exit Code is 0 in the "VBoxHardening.log":
3310.4294: supR3HardNtChildWaitFor[1]: Quitting: ExitCode=0x0 (rcNtWait=0x0, rcNt1=0x0, rcNt2=0x103, rcNt3=0x103, 106666 ms, the end);
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.